Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread - Salford (A)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 130 Guests

Match Thread - Salford (A)

This thread currently has 14,864 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 1, 2022, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Garth
Good fight back, but we really have too many players that are not league 2 standard which is a big disadvantage

*Looks at league table*

Really? We may have too many middle of League 2 standard players rather than top end players, but to claim otherwise seems odd.

Didnt go today but Glennon has looked a bit ropey defensively when I've seen him this season. A lesser player at present than he was when he was with us a few years ago, so I hope he can regain his mojo.

Surprised there has been so much criticism of Pepple on the forum so far. He's young, inexperienced and has only been in the country for 5 minutes. I'd imagine a 'home-grown' player would be given some leeway but it seems some have written off Pepple already, for some reason. Similar age to Darren Mansaram, isn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 135
hampshiremariner
October 1, 2022, 5:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
I think that is a very good point away from home. There are again one or two eye-raising results in L2. Swindon, who were judged deserved victors at BP, could not win at home today and Newport who we comprehensively beat at their place beat Orient away! I would have put that one down as a home banker. Barrow (are they flattering to deceive?) beaten at Tranmere. Are Stevenage really that good?? I find it hard to believe that they are near to the top and the media piling praise on Steve Evans. Nothing can be taken for granted in this league and I would not risk any money on betting who will get promoted or relegated.  When we play our best we are a match for anyone in this league. Everything to play for. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 135
fishcake63
October 1, 2022, 5:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Decent game that i liked our shape today should really have nicked it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 135
lew chaterleys lover
October 1, 2022, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer

*Looks at league table*

Really? We may have too many middle of League 2 standard players rather than top end players, but to claim otherwise seems odd.

Didnt go today but Glennon has looked a bit ropey defensively when I've seen him this season. A lesser player at present than he was when he was with us a few years ago, so I hope he can regain his mojo.

Surprised there has been so much criticism of Pepple on the forum so far. He's young, inexperienced and has only been in the country for 5 minutes. I'd imagine a 'home-grown' player would be given some leeway but it seems some have written off Pepple already, for some reason. Similar age to Darren Mansaram, isn't he?

Mansaram must be about 40 now, surely?
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 135
Maringer
October 1, 2022, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
Probably older! Just pointing out that Mansaram was given lots of leeway when attempting to lead the line aged 19, despite the fact that he wasn't very effective.

In an ideal world, we'd have a backup for Taylor and would be able to bring Pepple on in fits and starts rather than relying on him to try and lead the line against experienced defenders in an important away game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 135
Limerick Mariner
October 1, 2022, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah
My initial reaction to hearing the line up is not one of confidence. You never know, but I worry today will expose our failure to secure a Taylor alternative during the window.

Hope I’m wrong.

From the interviews given by both JS and PH I expect we had a budget for the alternative but couldn’t attract a player of the right calibre and, importantly, temprement and character. Making sure the face fits has been a strong emphasis in the interviews.

Why didn’t we go for Quigley? He’s been getting goals for Rochdale. He would surely have been within budget. He’s a shithouser on the pitch (nothing necessarily wrong with that) but maybe he’s a buffoon off it, don’t know.

From what I’ve seen of Pepple he’s not the answer at the moment. He might make it, he’s a good enough athlete but needs to be more physical and he lacks the game sense and nouse for this level. Probably needed a season at National League 1 with buckets of goals before stepping up.

Perhaps we’ll see an Orsi Richardson combo until Taylor and McAtee are back?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 135
14 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread - Salford (A)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.