Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Badger57, Balthazar Bullitt, Barrattstander, bartgtfc, bawarmy, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, bigbadmarinerbob, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BrMarin, BruceytheFish, Brummie Codfather, BulkyMariner, C0cky, Cambs Mariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, Caveman, Cayman_mariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, coddy60, CodHead, Connecticut Mariner, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, DB, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, Freemoash88, friskneymariner, Gaffer58, Gainsbro_Mariner, GarforthMariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, golfer, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc98, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, Hants.Mariner, Harbour Rat, HarrogateMariner, Heisenberg, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, johnbhoy, jonnyboy82, jungleland, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Les Brechin, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LN8Mariner, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, majestic tees, ManBurning, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, Mariner56, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Mark GTFC, Martz86, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Mikey_345, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Nadfink, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, neverapen, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, sonofmadeleymariner, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, supertown, Sussexmariner, sutton mariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, The_Laughing_Mariner, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WetFlannel, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Wyberway, Zmariner and 1197 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 2225.

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 713,886 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
June 1, 2023, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,764
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from diehardmariner

£50?

They've had their pants down.

LMA Manager for the PS1 is available for £5.13 on Amazon, I dare say you could get it cheaper if you looked - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codemasters-LMA-Manager-PS/dp/B00004SQO8

It didn't take long to 'build' a stadium like the one below.

They weren’t eligible to use it. LMA = League Managers Association. That ship hasn’t just sailed, it’s sunk to the very bottom of the ocean.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2220 - 4547
June 1, 2023, 10:12am
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91
How's this loser going to fund a new 12500 stadium, which would probably cost north of £30 million, when he can't afford to buy their current ground which leaves them essentially homeless and potentially not allowed to enter the NLN next season?

He's absolutely off his head and anyone that trusts him is in a fantasy world.

What I don't understand is that some Scunny supporters are taking this as gospel.  Are they just ignoring the red flags or is DH capable of delivering what he has promised?

Reply: 2221 - 4547
DB
June 1, 2023, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from 123614

What I don't understand is that some Scunny supporters are taking this as gospel.  Are they just ignoring the red flags or is DH capable of delivering what he has promised?

Take away the rhetoric and what he ( seems ) to own is a football club called Scunthorpe United. I have not read anywhere else that what he has said has happened. He claims to have another ground lined up, but does not specify it! Not Trinity, according to The Fishy, and no others in the area would meet NLN standards; so Ilkeston may be the favourite.

So whichever way you look at it, unless he pays Swann with money he doesn't seem to have, the Iron have had it as a 'local' team for Scunthorpe; if they continue to exist at all.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2222 - 4547
OddShapedBalls
June 1, 2023, 11:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Good news people, I have just had an exclusive interview with David (insert current alias here) owner of Scunny whilst helping him erect claret and blue corner flags at Bradley Pitches - which he assured me was a precaution only.  I can officially clarify the following:

-The A-team has been hired to construct the stands of the new stadium, this should only take 4x 2 minute montages enabling such a short time frame to be realistic
-Woolworths have signed as the flagship commercial store partner
-His council contact is a chap called May Alex
-New Stadium will have a go-cart track like Spurs are building, only this one will be on the stadium roof not underneath it
-When pressed about funding that isn't coming from levelling up or woolies, he hopped into his DeLorean and shouted "where we're playing next season, we don't need roads!"

I believe he is a genuine chap who only has the clubs best interests at heart
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2223 - 4547
diehardmariner
June 1, 2023, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,701
Gold Stars: 542
Fixtures are only a matter of weeks from getting released.  If they are ground-sharing, it would need to be registered and approved asap to ensure they're not double booked with their hosts.

Working down the leagues and within a generous hour of Scunthorpe

League 2

Doncaster - Already share with the rugby club.  Don't think that pitch could take another 23 games upwards a season.
Mansfield - An hour away, can't see them entertaining a ground share.
Us - Won't happen

Conference (Step 5)

Chesterfield - Already hosts Sheff Utd Under 23's and Women's sides.
York - Very generous hour. Already share with York Knights RL side.

Conference North (Step 6)

Alfreton - Already host Notts Forest Under 23's

Northern Premier League (Step 7)

Gainsborough Trinity - Already knocked back

You're then at Step 8 where you effectively are playing with advertising hoardings round the pitch.  There's very few grounds at this level that would meet Conf. North standards.

It's baffling that any sane Scunthorpe fan would think that anything but a 'temp' move to Ilkeston is on the cards.  They literally have no options, be that through the fault or design of anyone or not.
Private Message
Reply: 2224 - 4547
Lee Hodges Burger
June 1, 2023, 3:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +524
Gold Stars: 39
A quick glance through this thread after recent events reveals general bemusement at this situation from many Grimsby fans, and as a Scunny fan I agree. When Hilton did his original club site interview I would have classified myself as the 'step two' he listed, where I want things to succeed and reserve my right to question, but maybe that's slipping now. What has followed has been worrying to say the least and I am staggered at how many seem content and not so worried. When Hilton gave his fans forum spiel it was obvious that ground issues were coming and I couldn't see how it was anything but Swann having the upper hand given he's ground owner. Yet all I have heard is that Hilton has said this that and the other about some sub-leasing scheme which allows us to play there, and this was treated as foolproof conditions for our stay, even though I am sceptical of its validity.

I get it. After years of misery, relegations, embarrassment and nearly going under with Swann, people want to feel positive again and will cling on to any vision for optimism. People want to be happy and will react badly if pointed out that the dream is built on nothing. People often prefer comforting lies above uncomfortable truths. It may be that Hilton delivers on his promises, but I cannot have faith in it. Not after Swann and how so many questions arise from his past and handling of the club to date. It is quite wearying, especially as to question or criticise seemingly angers those who just want to believe. That makes you a meddling Bury or Grimsby fan, someone who wants the club dead or someone who should support Grimsby. It doesn't compute that if critics wanted the club to fail, we'd be celebrating all this on.

I just don't see what there is to be so positive or nonchalant about. Everything is based off Hilton's word, and that has changed through time. He said he'd got Glanford Park during the deal, with due diligence. That wasn't the case. He said he could rent Glanford Park using his own sub-letting scheme, but is now pivoting to a groundshare. I think the latter is more likely, I suspect Hilton knows it, but some fans are still talking as if we will be playing at Glanford Park next season. Swann hurt fans badly, and hatred towards him ha suspended any kind of scepticism of Hilton. They want Hilton to do one over Swann, so no matter how much it appears as if Swann is in the driving seat for Glanford Park, some will just back Hilton and question anyone daring to say "hang on a second" to Hilton. I don't like Swann and think he holds a lot of responsibility for the mess we're in, but that doesn't matter to legal battles over who has a right to use the stadium, and I can't see how Hilton has the upper hand. Even if I am not a legal bod.

I don't see what there is to trust in Hilton. From the lack of clarity over the ground, to pie eyed schemes of £1899 membership schemes and planned Ilkeston training/operations moves. It seems like he was trying to opaquely buy the ground off the fans going for that scheme, which wasn't very open of Hilton at the time, given most were thinking everything was sorted. Now we have this new stadium to be delivered in 2 years? I have worked in a construction linked industry; the idea of that happening so soon from pre-planning permission to completion is baffling to me. Yet some speak with confidence and bat down such scepticism. Then there are the portfolio of failed ventures, previous people he's lent to reportedly refusing to deal with him and it makes me question how he can work his plans sustainably and professionally. Of course he might prove me wrong, Ilkeston fans like him, but it doesn't exactly generate confidence when you see he has been involved with dodgy telemarketing stuff and failed companies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2225 - 4547
Gaffer58
June 1, 2023, 4:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Not knowing all the ins and outs of what scunny need for a ground next season, but is Brigg Towns ground adequate and meets any criteria? Also regarding this Mr Hilton guy, if he seems like a dodgy dealer, and not many previous people who have had dealings with him have a good word to say, then basically how does he live generally,eg, pays his gas bill etc, or had he been successful in something previously?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2226 - 4547
louth_in_the_south
June 1, 2023, 4:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
It would be interesting to find out where Scunthorpes new signings are basing themselves. Might give an indication whether Hilton has told them anything…….

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2227 - 4547
Meza
June 1, 2023, 4:27pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Lee Hodges Burger
A quick glance through this thread after recent events reveals general bemusement at this situation from many Grimsby fans, and as a Scunny fan I agree. When Hilton did his original club site interview I would have classified myself as the 'step two' he listed, where I want things to succeed and reserve my right to question, but maybe that's slipping now. What has followed has been worrying to say the least and I am staggered at how many seem content and not so worried. When Hilton gave his fans forum spiel it was obvious that ground issues were coming and I couldn't see how it was anything but Swann having the upper hand given he's ground owner. Yet all I have heard is that Hilton has said this that and the other about some sub-leasing scheme which allows us to play there, and this was treated as foolproof conditions for our stay, even though I am sceptical of its validity.

I get it. After years of misery, relegations, embarrassment and nearly going under with Swann, people want to feel positive again and will cling on to any vision for optimism. People want to be happy and will react badly if pointed out that the dream is built on nothing. People often prefer comforting lies above uncomfortable truths. It may be that Hilton delivers on his promises, but I cannot have faith in it. Not after Swann and how so many questions arise from his past and handling of the club to date. It is quite wearying, especially as to question or criticise seemingly angers those who just want to believe. That makes you a meddling Bury or Grimsby fan, someone who wants the club dead or someone who should support Grimsby. It doesn't compute that if critics wanted the club to fail, we'd be celebrating all this on.

I just don't see what there is to be so positive or nonchalant about. Everything is based off Hilton's word, and that has changed through time. He said he'd got Glanford Park during the deal, with due diligence. That wasn't the case. He said he could rent Glanford Park using his own sub-letting scheme, but is now pivoting to a groundshare. I think the latter is more likely, I suspect Hilton knows it, but some fans are still talking as if we will be playing at Glanford Park next season. Swann hurt fans badly, and hatred towards him ha suspended any kind of scepticism of Hilton. They want Hilton to do one over Swann, so no matter how much it appears as if Swann is in the driving seat for Glanford Park, some will just back Hilton and question anyone daring to say "hang on a second" to Hilton. I don't like Swann and think he holds a lot of responsibility for the mess we're in, but that doesn't matter to legal battles over who has a right to use the stadium, and I can't see how Hilton has the upper hand. Even if I am not a legal bod.

I don't see what there is to trust in Hilton. From the lack of clarity over the ground, to pie eyed schemes of £1899 membership schemes and planned Ilkeston training/operations moves. It seems like he was trying to opaquely buy the ground off the fans going for that scheme, which wasn't very open of Hilton at the time, given most were thinking everything was sorted. Now we have this new stadium to be delivered in 2 years? I have worked in a construction linked industry; the idea of that happening so soon from pre-planning permission to completion is baffling to me. Yet some speak with confidence and bat down such scepticism. Then there are the portfolio of failed ventures, previous people he's lent to reportedly refusing to deal with him and it makes me question how he can work his plans sustainably and professionally. Of course he might prove me wrong, Ilkeston fans like him, but it doesn't exactly generate confidence when you see he has been involved with dodgy telemarketing stuff and failed companies.

Really feel for the genuine fan, but to me he just comes across as a chancer, and a bullsh*tter (you cannot bullsh*t a bullsh*tter).  Clearly Swann is making things difficult, maybe they did agree in principle to the ground, but now you have 2 wrong ones in control of the club in some shape, one with the ground and the other with the name, its an absolute disaster and its at points like this tougher measures should be in place to avoid things like this (the club / fans being in the middle) whilst Tom, male private and Harry argue about the club.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2228 - 4547
supertown
June 1, 2023, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Lee Hodges Burger

Very sensible post from a Scunny fan
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2229 - 4547
455 Pages Prev ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.