Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 1385.

Scunthorpe.

This thread currently has 714,957 views. Print
455 Pages Prev ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
March 31, 2023, 7:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,207
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Mappers

I have found it staggering in the main that there has not been more questions asked of this new custodian from them .

Their hate for Swann has blinded them from the reality of the situation it seems .

Their only hope is to shift nearly 2000 season tickets at £2k nearly  ,seems unlikely especially with their upcoming demotion.

Time will tell but the signs were there when he started asking fans for money . Never a good look for a new owner and saviour .
Private Message
Reply: 1380 - 4548
Davec
March 31, 2023, 7:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Their owner is still Mr popular currently in some quarters

I know a few Scunthorpe fans and whilst they don't trust Deans and his alleged shady dealings they seem to trust Hilton implicitly, one told me he has saved the club and he will restore the club to its former glory (whatever that is)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1381 - 4548
rancido
March 31, 2023, 9:10am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Davec

I know a few Scunthorpe fans and whilst they don't trust Deans and his alleged shady dealings they seem to trust Hilton implicitly, one told me he has saved the club and he will restore the club to its former glory (whatever that is)

A bit like Donald Trump saying he would " make America great again".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1382 - 4548
Mariner_09
March 31, 2023, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Davec

I know a few Scunthorpe fans and whilst they don't trust Deans and his alleged shady dealings they seem to trust Hilton implicitly, one told me he has saved the club and he rwill restore the club to its former glory (whatever that is)

Unbelievable Jeff. Their glory years were being unsustainable and “surviving” in the second tier by virtue of players sales and cup runs, the luck obviously ran out sooner rather than later. They then had Swann who basically spent them into near oblivion. I know we punched above our weight during the “glory days” but we were surviving based on a meritocracy and weren’t there by dubious means. The glory days for them are L2, their attendances are barely top half of L2. It’s time they went to regional football and were forgotten about for a while!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1383 - 4548
RonMariner
March 31, 2023, 10:19am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,853
Gold Stars: 230
Maybe Alex May will step in and save them..............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1384 - 4548
Poojah
March 31, 2023, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,782
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from Mariner_09

Unbelievable Jeff. Their glory years were being unsustainable and “surviving” in the second tier by virtue of players sales and cup runs, the luck obviously ran out sooner rather than later. They then had Swann who basically spent them into near oblivion. I know we punched above our weight during the “glory days” but we were surviving based on a meritocracy and weren’t there by dubious means. The glory days for them are L2, their attendances are barely top half of L2. It’s time they went to regional football and were forgotten about for a while!

To be fair, their original glory years (circa 2004 - 2011) were the absolute epitome of sustainability. They developed an unbelievably successful strategy of identifying young, undervalued talent, developing it and selling them on for a massive profit, ad infinitum. Basically what the likes of Brighton and Brentford are doing now, albeit at a lower level of the pyramid.

That was the work of Steve Wharton, whose only (and fatal) mistake was selling the club to Peter Swann in 2013. Put your club allegiance to one side for a moment, and it’s a sad, sad story. Swann, driven by ego and personal greed, took Scunny from literally the pound-for-pound best run club in the country to literally the worst. That’s a special achievement.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1385 - 4548
bedders78
March 31, 2023, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair, their original glory years (circa 2004 - 2011) were the absolute epitome of sustainability. They developed an unbelievably successful strategy of identifying young, undervalued talent, developing it and selling them on for a massive profit, ad infinitum. Basically what the likes of Brighton and Brentford are doing now, albeit at a lower level of the pyramid.

That was the work of Steve Wharton, whose only (and fatal) mistake was selling the club to Peter Swann in 2013. Put your club allegiance to one side for a moment, and it’s a sad, sad story. Swann, driven by ego and personal greed, took Scunny from literally the pound-for-pound best run club in the country to literally the worst. That’s a special achievement.

A sobering thought that almost all football clubs are one bad owner away from being completely copulated. Fan ownership models need to become more common

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1386 - 4548
Mappers
March 31, 2023, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,503
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from bedders78

A sobering thought that almost all football clubs are one bad owner away from being completely copulated. Fan ownership models need to become more common

We are one of the few clubs in the unique position of already having fan ownership with Jason & Andrew .

I am not totally against the idea of full 'fan ownership' of clubs , but the smaller clubs if just relying on fans to run and fund the club;  with the current financial  climate ,much like being own bad owner away , clubs would be 1 or 2 bad seasons away from disaster .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1387 - 4548
rancido
March 31, 2023, 12:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Poojah

Sadly for Scunnie, Wharton had to retire from club ownership due to  ill-health I do believe. Coincidentally Swan had made a right mess at Gainsborough, failed to progress them up the pyramid and the opportunity arose to obtain an established league club with Scunnie.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1388 - 4548
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 31, 2023, 2:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from rancido

Sadly for Scunnie, Wharton had to retire from club ownership due to  ill-health I do believe. Coincidentally Swan had made a right mess at Gainsborough, failed to progress them up the pyramid and the opportunity arose to obtain an established league club with Scunnie.

Think he was very close to buying into Lincoln, it was before the South African’s involvement, but they were then non league so he switched his sights to Scunny and Lincoln can consider themselves very lucky he never pursued his interest in them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1389 - 4548
455 Pages Prev ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunthorpe.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.