August 16, 2022, 9:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from aldi_01

Thierry Henry wasn’t a front man…

Jesus how irrelevant ..I need to post something so I will just post anything..... bore off bud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
Tinymariner
August 16, 2022, 12:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from aldi_01
It’s a football forum and people have a varying opinions.

Clifton is, in some respects, the James Milner/John O’Shea of GTFC. Played in a variety of positions and is Mr Dependable and I guess every team craves a player like that. I imagine his data is off the charts with work rate, breaking up play a winning second balls. Hurst is meticulous in his preparation so I’ve no doubt he realises that by playing Clifton, in theory, our left hand side is defensively sound.

My own view of Clifton for a long time was that he got a game and the support of the fans because he was local, had he been from elsewhere he’d probably have taken a lot more flak. That said, he has improved and I guess, as highlighted in the thread on culture, he is symptomatic of that. Leaders that trust and believe in him have seen him improve. That has to be commended. Hurst picks him for a reason and whilst not protected from criticism, Hurst is now, for me in the same list as Buckley in terms of what he’s achieved at town, regardless of a relegation (let’s face it, we were dead and buried before he came in) so therefore, we have to trust him.

Personally I think Clifton’s ability to cross is baffling, he gets in to amazing positions and can clearer read the game exceptionally well but his crosses range from pitiful to alright. If he could cross a ball, even 1 decent one in 3, he’s be dangerous and have more assists.

I suspect this thread has come about because he was poor on Saturday and with the formation change and subs he became much more effective.

I don’t think anyone has said anything that’s not true in this thread and it is all about opinions. Whatever your criticism, I’d rather he be a town player than playing against us.

Absolutely spot on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
TAGG
August 16, 2022, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Does there have to be a 'pick on HC' thread every season FFS  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 16, 2022, 3:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from TAGG
Does there have to be a 'pick on HC' thread every season FFS  

Heavens above, pick on HC, what are you on about? It was an open thread on a footy forum to discuss wether Clifton would be better in the centre of the park than he is on the left side. Some people just want to be offended for the sake of it. No one has picked on Clifton, I think he’s great, I just  started a discussion on a forum.

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
MuddyWaters
August 16, 2022, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236

Heavens above, pick on HC, what are you on about? It was an open thread on a footy forum to discuss wether Clifton would be better in the centre of the park than he is on the left side. Some people just want to be offended for the sake of it. No one has picked on Clifton, I think he’s great, I just  started a discussion on a forum.

Absolutely - I think HC is a great asset to the team & the club but I'm just not convinced he's the best left sided midfield option.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
TAGG
August 16, 2022, 6:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126

Yes it is.
Every season there is a 'can Harry do this that or the other'
sometimes two a season.
He keeps getting picked, keeps doing the biz and keeps being Town through and through.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
Swansea_Mariner
August 16, 2022, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from TAGG

Yes it is.
Every season there is a 'can Harry do this that or the other'
sometimes two a season.
He keeps getting picked, keeps doing the biz and keeps being Town through and through.

Awaits the 2031/32 season thread 'His legs have gone'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The elephant in the room

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.