7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
fishboyUTM
August 14, 2022, 7:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
If we are to play a three man central midfield then there will be injuries and suspensions in that area. We don't have too many options so Harry will play a lot of football there you'd have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 7:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Why do people always talk as if there is a fixed starting eleven throughout the season? Harry has some great attributes, which will be more suited to certain games/opposition than others. It's a squad game and I'm sure he will play an important part.

What's the point in trying to do him down?

You could not be more wrong, Clifton has fitness levels that the rest of the team can only dream of, however, he is not a left winger, get him in the middle is all I am saying

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
tashee69
August 14, 2022, 7:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +971
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Why do people always talk as if there is a fixed starting eleven throughout the season? Harry has some great attributes, which will be more suited to certain games/opposition than others. It's a squad game and I'm sure he will play an important part.

What's the point in trying to do him down?

Very well said. Last season, we got promotion because of the squad, not the starting 11. The ability to bring on fresh legs and a different option got us there. This year we have the ability for 5 subs, so I’m expecting, for some games, a lot of changes

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
dapperz fun pub
August 14, 2022, 7:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84

You could not be more wrong, Clifton has fitness levels that the rest of the team can only dream of, however, he is not a left winger, get him in the middle is all I am saying

He lacks that bit of technical ability that a centre mid should have he would be a liability for us in that position. No one is questioning his attitude or his superb work rate  but the truth is footballing ability at this level is questionable. He’s a valued member of the squad and can do lots of jobs for us but running a game from midfield isn’t one of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
HertsGTFC
August 14, 2022, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,989
Gold Stars: 228

He’s not a left winger but can play left mid field. If we go to a straight 4-4-2 he’s out of position.

When Maher is fit I think we may well play 3 CB’s so let’s see what if there’s a starting place for Harry.

Could we have a thread about the good things he brings to the team next time please?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
HarrogateMariner
August 14, 2022, 8:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Clifton did a great job out wide on the left last season, he had some fantastic games playing in that position. However it has always felt like a temporary fix to me. I
remember another post saying similar a few weeks ago, but long term playing consistently in that position will not do him any favours.
I can't imagine he sees his long term future as playing there either. If he was left footed maybe, but he isn't.
The best thing for us and himself is for Hurst to start using him in his natural center midfield role. We play 3 in that position and including Kouhri we only have 5 players for that role, so I predict he will get plenty of game time in a more natural position this season. Hurst has mentioned him playing that role on a few occasions this season, so I don't believe Hurst doesn't trust him in that role. I think he was asked to play on the left last season due to weaknesses in the squad, not because he can't play in the centre.
I say all this as a huge Harry fan- personally I don't think we have seen the best of him yet and that will come with a change of position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 8:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

He lacks that bit of technical ability that a centre mid should have he would be a liability for us in that position. No one is questioning his attitude or his superb work rate  but the truth is footballing ability at this level is questionable. He’s a valued member of the squad and can do lots of jobs for us but running a game from midfield isn’t one of them

Maybe you are right but he has played a few decent games in the middle of the park so not sure he’s a liability, I do agree on his technical ability but I think he makes up for that with workrate and attitude. Skilful opponents do not like to play against a physical monster, for example JMD, technically brilliant but Harry would run him into next month, either way I don’t care where he plays but I think we all know it’s a dilemma

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 14, 2022, 8:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He’s not a left winger but can play left mid field. If we go to a straight 4-4-2 he’s out of position.

When Maher is fit I think we may well play 3 CB’s so let’s see what if there’s a starting place for Harry.

Could we have a thread about the good things he brings to the team next time please?

Listen Mr guardian reader, I was not digging him out. I have posted lots of positives about him. All I am saying is that he is not a left mid or winger. Do you want a hug?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
headingly_mariner
August 14, 2022, 8:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Easily our most consistent performer. A rare off day for him yesterday, but still put a shift in.  

I've no idea of the stats but I'd imagine he is up there for most efforts on goal and crosses into the box for someone who is not attacking.
In terms of athleticism nobody in our squad can get close to him and his ability to cover the ground and his in your face style should not be underestimated.

He's been very close to being on the scoresheet in the league, shots on target in every game. Hit the post against Northampton and should have been slipped in 1 on 1 three times by Mcatee at Orient.

Huge part of our success and why the system works, criminally underrated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
dapperz fun pub
August 14, 2022, 8:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84

Maybe you are right but he has played a few decent games in the middle of the park so not sure he’s a liability, I do agree on his technical ability but I think he makes up for that with workrate and attitude. Skilful opponents do not like to play against a physical monster, for example JMD, technically brilliant but Harry would run him into next month, either way I don’t care where he plays but I think we all know it’s a dilemma

He’s played in the middle a few times and from I’ve seen he’s been overwhelmed I can’t honestly think of a game where he’s dominated the game and took it by the scruff of its neck I honestly can’t. Work rate will take you so far but that killer pass just isn’t there. I still see his value in the squad and would genuinely love him to find that bit extra footballing nous not trying to urine anyone off but it’s my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The elephant in the room

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.