7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
July 2, 2022, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Like anyone else, I think we need to use the enthusiasm and positivity to really kick on and hopefully challenge promotion/play offs.

I think we also need to remember (and this isn't being pessimistic) that we only finished 6th last season in the division below. We've made some decent signings to date but there are some decent teams making some eye-catching signings too. In my mind, as long as we're not flirting with relegation, anything else is a bonus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
GhostDan
July 2, 2022, 8:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Probably abit too cautious but after the roller coaster of the last 3/4 years, I’d be happy with a upper ish mid table finish. I’m 100% confident our new owners and PH will take us up to League One in the next few years but I’d be more than happy with a  year of consolidation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
chaos33
July 2, 2022, 8:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I think it might be easy to perhaps be a bit blasé about the level of competition in L2, and therefore I think there should be distinction between what we’re aspiring to, and what would be realistic and positive. It would be great to be in contention for the top 6, but personally. If we continue our progression, are competitive, and re-establish ourselves in there I’ll be happy. I suspect there’ll be some mixed results in achieving this, and I hope we don’t see a bout of negativity as we acclimatise next season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
fishboyUTM
July 2, 2022, 8:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from thefish

Sadly, in Bradford, Salford and Stockport (have I missed anyone?), we have some sides that’ll be able to throw a lot more money at it than us. As we know, cash doesn’t guarantee success… but it certainly gives you an advantage.

So, I’d be happy with top half, ecstatic with playoffs and I’ll run towards Scunthorpe with my ears cupped (think McAtee towards the Wrexham fans) if we gain automatic promotion.

Always the case, and has been ever since I can remember. We battled Fulham with Keegan and Al Fayed's millions in '97 and come on top. Good luck to Stockport, good club and deserve success. Bradford serial bottlers, Salford a plastic club. We have three automatic spots to target in this division, and another via the play offs of course but I'm eyeing that top spot. No reason not to. The poor buggers who have only watched us during the Fenty years could well be mistaken by thinking that is the norm at this club. It is not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
AdamHaddock
July 2, 2022, 8:28am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
I've got a top half finish in my £18k acca

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
July 2, 2022, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I would be happy with a top half finish as it would be our highest finish since 2006. Hurst is fiercely competitive though so he will be telling the players that the goal is promotion. He left us in a good position last time with a central midfield pairing that got York relegated a few months earlier. Everyone Hurst wanted to keep other than Fox (and maybe Scannell) have extended their stay.

Good point about Hurst. He is a fierce competitor as you say and last time realised he could not progress with us under the previous regime.

This time he will be thinking the opposite and will be in it to win it (promotion, however it comes)
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
immariner
July 2, 2022, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
12th-15th
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
ginnywings
July 2, 2022, 12:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
If Accrington and Morecambe can get promoted from this league, then so can we.

May not be next season and may take another transfer window or two, but we will be competing at the top end eventually.

We have the momentum and the backing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
toontown
July 2, 2022, 8:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
I think a top half finish would have to be considered decent when we haven't achieved it in the league for so long. However I really want us to take advantage of this momentum and hold on to as many of the new season ticket holders as possible so to at least be in contention for the play offs by the last few weeks is what we should be aiming for - top 9 would mean that. An exciting season  at least that whets the appetite for more and maintains the momentum.

And if we do make the playoffs, which at top 7 shouldn't be out of the question, then anything can happen as we know!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
HerveJosse
July 3, 2022, 6:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
First but settle for top three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next season-realistic

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.