6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
June 30, 2022, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,005
Gold Stars: 386
I know we have been through this before but some new interesting facts are coming to light. JS did say some months ago that any new ground/development was on the back boiler unless attendances started to sell out.

It has now been suggested that season tickets may hit the 5,000 mark and the maximum home support is posted on here at 6,800 ( excluding the Osmond). That means it only needs about 1,800 walk-ins to achieve a full house. A figure that is achievable.

If this constantly happens during the season I wonder if JS & AP will bump up a new ground/development as first priority at the end of the season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Plankton
June 30, 2022, 1:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,212
Gold Stars: 38
It will definitely be on the agenda as it’s becoming increasingly clear that we’re going to need to upgrade the facilities, as much as we love Blundell Park, it’s probably not cost effective to make improvements.

A new ground with plenty of revenue opportunities is the way forward.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
lew chaterleys lover
June 30, 2022, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
We have talked about a new stadium many times but nonetheless it is always good to talk through the options, because like you say the owners will have some decisions to make.

Personally I think they will improve the capacity at Blundell park over the next year or two and see where we are at in say 5 years, both in terms of league standing and support numbers.

A new stadium is such a huge commitment and will take up so much of their time and energy I think it will wait until we are an established league club and all the other things in and around the club have been addressed.

As for a new stadium, if it is characterful, a thing of beauty sited in the right place with a healthy capacity and a jewel in Grimsbys crown then great. If they conclude we could only afford a soulless mecanno box then I would rather redevelop BP and use a new training complex to try to generate more income with conference rooms and public football pitches etc. All easier said than done but whatever they do is going to cost a fortune but I fully expect the owners to find every financial opportunity to share the cost.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
HertsGTFC
June 30, 2022, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,918
Gold Stars: 228
The immediate problem isn’t getting a new ground as attendances won’t match the required ROI to warrant the spend required. This will only happen with some form of partnership to enable the project. Years off in reality.

The immediate problem is the match day facilities at BP, toilets, catering, disabled accessibility, effective stewarding will all need to be upweighted with what could be more or less full houses most weeks.

All that said I wouldn’t be surprised to see the temp seating back soon. The club are doing things in the right order at the moment I think.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
Barrattstander
June 30, 2022, 1:43pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The club are doing things in the right order at the moment I think.

Agreed,
      I'd rather be in the EFL thinking about a new stadium than sat in one watching National League football.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Humbercod
June 30, 2022, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,491
Gold Stars: 82
No updates on the new training ground unless I’ve missed something, seems to have gone quiet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
heppy88
June 30, 2022, 1:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Realistically, in the current financial climate, how can the club afford a new stadium? We are talking tens of millions of pounds. Without a generous benefactor, it really is pie in the sky, magical thinking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
GollyGTFC
June 30, 2022, 1:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from heppy88
Realistically, in the current financial climate, how can the club afford a new stadium? We are talking tens of millions of pounds. Without a generous benefactor, it really is pie in the sky, magical thinking

The same way you buy a house. A mortgage.

Didn't the club only finish paying for the Findus Stand a couple of years ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 50
Poojah
June 30, 2022, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from heppy88

There’s no doubting that the current economic situation complicates matters; a £20m stadium a year ago probably costs the best part of £30m to build now.

But clubs of similar size to and smaller than us have found various ways to finance new stadia. Just because it’s difficult doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it. Blundell Park, at least in its current guise, will not last forever and so it’s something which has to remain on the agenda if we are to ever fulfil our potential as a club.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
heppy88
June 30, 2022, 2:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Poojah

There’s no doubting that the current economic situation complicates matters; a £20m a year ago probably costs the best part of £30m to build now.

But clubs of similar size to and smaller than us have found various ways to finance new stadia. Just because it’s difficult doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it. Blundell Park, at least in its current guise, will not last forever and so it’s something which has to remain on the agenda if we are to ever fulfil our potential as a club.

I don't disagree and would love to be proven wrong. But, if we are looking at 30 to 50 million for a relocation we can all be proud of, how on earth does a club the size of GTFC, in an area of the size of N.E. Lincs, with its average attendance (Not some pie in the sky predicted attendance), REALISTICLY finance that kind of money ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Ground/ Stands

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.