GyMariner
June 30, 2022, 2:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Humbercod
No updates on the new training ground unless I’ve missed something, seems to have gone quiet.

It’s being worked on behind the scenes. Location has been chosen and seems a good fit. There was mention of it being kept on the down low for legal reasons.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
mimma
June 30, 2022, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Smaller clubs that have moved to new stadiums have had massive help from their local councils.

Do you think N. E. Lincs council could help us realise a new stadium?

No, me neither
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 30, 2022, 2:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from heppy88

I don't disagree and would love to be proven wrong. But, if we are looking at 30 to 50 million for a relocation we can all be proud of, how on earth does a club the size of GTFC, in an area of the size of N.E. Lincs, with its average attendance (Not some pie in the sky predicted attendance), REALISTICLY finance that kind of money ?

Am sure Preston have an NHS hub that brings in revenue
Bolton I think have a university
Other ideas such as gyms, schools, conference facilities, wedding venues are favoured by other clubs

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
GYinScuntland
June 30, 2022, 3:10pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I've said it before but there's a lot could be done with those three open corners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
Oly1987
June 30, 2022, 3:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Would it be possible to put seating in the corner between the main and osmond? could add some much needed extra seating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Marinerdan
June 30, 2022, 3:15pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The same way you buy a house. A mortgage.

Didn't the club only finish paying for the Findus Stand a couple of years ago?

Really can’t see anyway the club would be able to obtain a commercial loan to fund the stadium. On £25m the interest would be 1.25m a year.

The other issue is security, a second hand football stadium has limited alternative use and we’d probably only be able to borrow a small fraction of its cost to build as I imagine the resale value would be significantly lower than the cost to build.

The only way I can see it working is part of a much larger project. It needs the council to be fully behind it, possibly something like ‘levelling up’ money coming in and private investment like a housebuilder, hotel, medical centre. My biggest concern at the moment is the council are planning to spend £25m on Freshney Place, that’s going to take a huge chunk out of their budget.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
aldi_01
June 30, 2022, 3:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We’re all assuming that the council aren’t interested or don’t want to invest when in truth, the new regime haven’t been to them. Perhaps they were reluctant to work with Fenty, I know I wouldn’t have wanted to go in to business with him and by the looks of it, few others would either…

Perhaps the new owners are going about things the right way in the right order and will look to connect with the council at the right time.

If we’re talking name stands I suggest the JSF stand, complete with sinks for the ladies…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Simon
June 30, 2022, 3:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +259
Gold Stars: 32
Finance is the killer not location or desire, say a new stadium comes in at £30,000,000 your looking at £125,000 per month for the next 25 years, serious outgoings unless your in the Premier League

That's a lot of wedding receptions, business conferences and the like to prop the business up

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
White_shorts
June 30, 2022, 3:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
We have talked about a new stadium many times but nonetheless it is always good to talk through the options, because like you say the owners will have some decisions to make.

Personally I think they will improve the capacity at Blundell park over the next year or two and see where we are at in say 5 years, both in terms of league standing and support numbers.

A new stadium is such a huge commitment and will take up so much of their time and energy I think it will wait until we are an established league club and all the other things in and around the club have been addressed.

As for a new stadium, if it is characterful, a thing of beauty sited in the right place with a healthy capacity and a jewel in Grimsbys crown then great. If they conclude we could only afford a soulless mecanno box then I would rather redevelop BPand use a new training complex to try to generate more income with conference rooms and public football pitches etc. All easier said than done but whatever they do is going to cost a fortune but I fully expect the owners to find every financial opportunity to share the cost.

What exactly do you mean by 'characterful'?  Surrounded by houses? An old-fashioned roof with lots of vertical supports that restrict views? One stand twice the height of the rest of the ground?

I doubt the club would get planning permission to increase the capacity of Blundell Park to more than the 10k we had with those green seats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
jamesgtfc
June 30, 2022, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The same way you buy a house. A mortgage.

Didn't the club only finish paying for the Findus Stand a couple of years ago?

Inflation could potentially take care of a large portion of that loan if we took it out today but the bank would want reassurance we would be good for it. Pettit has experience in delivering commercial property which would come in useful, but I think our best hope would be if a housebuilder such as Cyden were to come on board. Boston are owned by David Newton who owns Chestnut Homes. On the other side of the roundabout to their new ground is the enabling development of a Chestnut Homes housing estate.

Loaning money for a new stadium is a big risk and could harm the budget significantly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Ground/ Stands

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.