This thread currently has 4,040 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
June 27, 2022, 11:45pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Importance (of great significance or value)

Buckley, McMenemy, Hurst?

Have I missed another?

Hurst for me, he's managed to get us out of the two worst moments in our history.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
June 28, 2022, 6:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
George Kerr for me.

Quote from Wiki :-

"In July 1978 he became first team coach of Grimsby Town. In 1979 he became their manager and The Mariners won the Third Division championship in 1980 in Kerr's first season in charge. They finished 7th in the Second Division the following season after challenging for promotion, with the side third in the table with seven games remaining, and a return to Division One after a 33-year absence looked very much on the cards"

Second best league position ever in post war era, which none of the other managers have done.

NB.
For the younger ones Division 1 is now the prem and second division is the championship. The Third division is now the current Division !.

Edit. I'm assured Dave Booth took us to the best poition in the second division. Thanks to those who corrected my original post.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
Heisenberg
June 28, 2022, 6:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from DB
George Kerr for me.

Quote from Wiki :-

"In July 1978 he became first team coach of Grimsby Town. In 1979 he became their manager and The Mariners won the Third Division championship in 1980 in Kerr's first season in charge. They finished 7th in the Second Division the following season after challenging for promotion, with the side third in the table with seven games remaining, and a return to Division One after a 33-year absence looked very much on the cards"

Best league position ever in post war era, which none of the other managers have done.

NB.
For the younger ones Division 1 is now the prem and second division is the championship. The Third division is now the current Division !.

Didn’t Dave Booth finish us even higher in Division 2 a couple of seasons later?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 28, 2022, 6:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
I think you are looking at it wrong. They were all great managers for us. But, the managers you should look at are the ones directly before. Lyons/Roberts, slade, hollowhead etc. sometimes you need the lows to reach the highs

While some managers have lead us to the most significant matches in modern day terms (Lawrence at Liverpool, slade v Tottenham, hurst 2016/2022) we’ve had some mighty mighty crap lows too

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
toontown
June 28, 2022, 6:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg

Didn’t Dave Booth finish us even higher in Division 2 a couple of seasons later?

Yeah 5th under booth, would have been inbthe play offs for the prem nowadays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
MuddyWaters
June 28, 2022, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
You can have importantly bad as well as importantly good.

For that reason, I’d say Newell. He took us into a hellhole from which various managers tried and failed to get us out of. He was a truly awful appointment and, whilst many of us were optimistic at the time, his reputation was apparently well known.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
DB
June 28, 2022, 7:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Heisenberg

Post amended, thanks for the info.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
aldi_01
June 28, 2022, 7:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from MuddyWaters
You can have importantly bad as well as importantly good.

For that reason, I’d say Newell. He took us into a hellhole from which various managers tried and failed to get us out of. He was a truly awful appointment and, whilst many of us were optimistic at the time, his reputation was apparently well known.

Newell is an interesting one, I’d argue that many saw it as a good appointment, however, he did already have a reputation and once again, for a man who’s allegedly made a few million quid, he wasn’t half a duffer at picking managers or making decisions related to managers.

Perhaps, had social media been more prevalent when Newell came, fans wouldn’t have been so easily taken in. When runaway came in it didn’t take long for a quick scour on social media to realise what he was, a flipping charlatan that is pretty much universally hated by any club he’s managed.

Newell created and lived in a drinking culture, perhaps that’s what won Fenty over. A colleague often tells stories of her father working for Fenty and being in the pub constantly with him, was it that? Or was he just sold on the fact he’d heard of him?

By the time Newell arrived you’d have imagined the reputation of the club was pretty dismal, we’re now seeing and hearing things that tell us that people swerved the club whilst Fenty was here and I guess that was the same with Newell at the helm. Probably same with runaway. Under Hurst first time it was clear players came because of him, nobody else and to take us up under that leadership of the club looks an even greater achievement now than it did then.

It’s what has happened after those failed managers which increases the stature of day Buckley and Hurst. In my lifetime, should Hurst take us up or get us close to it, this year or the year after, for me he becomes probably the greatest. He took over the club in his second spell under the leadership of Fenty, albeit a dead and buried Fenty. The club was a mess, zero preseason and a manager who was here for literally no other reason than personal gain.

We nearly stayed up but in truth I think he’d admit it now that we had zero chance. We were down before Christmas. What has happened since is nothing short of amazing, on and off the pitch and Hurst has been instrumental in that. Then we have the playoffs…

The club is moving forward and thank Christ we’ve Hurst in charge…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
codcheeky
June 28, 2022, 8:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from aldi_01

Newell is an interesting one, I’d argue that many saw it as a good appointment, however, he did already have a reputation and once again, for a man who’s allegedly made a few million quid, he wasn’t half a duffer at picking managers or making decisions related to managers.

Perhaps, had social media been more prevalent when Newell came, fans wouldn’t have been so easily taken in. When runaway came in it didn’t take long for a quick scour on social media to realise what he was, a flipping charlatan that is pretty much universally hated by any club he’s managed.

Newell created and lived in a drinking culture, perhaps that’s what won Fenty over. A colleague often tells stories of her father working for Fenty and being in the pub constantly with him, was it that? Or was he just sold on the fact he’d heard of him?

By the time Newell arrived you’d have imagined the reputation of the club was pretty dismal, we’re now seeing and hearing things that tell us that people swerved the club whilst Fenty was here and I guess that was the same with Newell at the helm. Probably same with runaway. Under Hurst first time it was clear players came because of him, nobody else and to take us up under that leadership of the club looks an even greater achievement now than it did then.

It’s what has happened after those failed managers which increases the stature of day Buckley and Hurst. In my lifetime, should Hurst take us up or get us close to it, this year or the year after, for me he becomes probably the greatest. He took over the club in his second spell under the leadership of Fenty, albeit a dead and buried Fenty. The club was a mess, zero preseason and a manager who was here for literally no other reason than personal gain.

We nearly stayed up but in truth I think he’d admit it now that we had zero chance. We were down before Christmas. What has happened since is nothing short of amazing, on and off the pitch and Hurst has been instrumental in that. Then we have the playoffs…

The club is moving forward and thank Christ we’ve Hurst in charge…

Many were taken in completely by Holloway, even toward the end before the May stuff came out there were plenty supporting him and people were shot down on here who suggested he hadn't made the investment in the club he said he would, as there were many still supporting  Fenty too.  
As fans we are pretty blinkered, most players we sign we want to get completely behind whatever other teams fans tell us and will pull out examples ( Nolan, Connell, etc) to help convince ourselves.  It's the same with managers, there are plenty who suddenly think the sun shines out of Hursts bottom who a few months ago were screaming for him to be sacked.
The truth is when we get a new manager it is usually because the last one has failed so we are blinded by the hope of a new dawn.
As for the most important manager or best, in my time it has to be Buckley.  If you judge our expected league position in terms of crowd size we should be around perhaps lower to mid third tier, only Buckley has seen us consistently above that and that with playing a style of football that many of the so called bigger teams could only dream of
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
male private Nale
June 28, 2022, 8:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
The most important Town manager is always the current one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Most important Town manager ever

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.