June 24, 2022, 8:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,521
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes really.

When did we last have players as good as Coyne, McDermott, Gallimore, Santos, Barnard, Groves, Pouton, Oster, Hughes, Jevons, Kabba, Boulding, Livingstone?

Erm…about 20 years ago.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Swansea_Mariner
June 24, 2022, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes really.

When did we last have players as good as Coyne, McDermott, Gallimore, Santos, Barnard, Groves, Pouton, Oster, Hughes, Jevons, Kabba, Boulding, Livingstone?

I know like wtf some real quality players there, we even had three then current internationas in the line up,!!! Amittedly some of those players like Groves and Livo were at the end of their shelf life.

Central defence was our real achilies heal that year i think if we'd been better there we would have faired much better, Chettle was way past it, Groves, Santos and Livo were just players who could play there if in a bit of a sticky wicket, and did we have Gavin that year, I can't  remember  but he was excrement anyway.

That and if we'd been able to keep Kabba and maybe got Oster back a bit earlier. What a flipping shame we've not even come remotely close to that again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
RonMariner
June 25, 2022, 12:42am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,672
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from hampshiremariner

Too true, Ron. For the first time for many seasons I feel that we now have a bright future with the new owners. Watching the Play-Off compilation on YouTube was so dramatic. How those lads fought against all the odds and kept fighting. Brought tears to my eyes even though I am an old man. Rekindled my pride in being a Mariner. Just great.

Exactly how I feel. Well said.

It's a great time to be a Town fan! Been a while since we could say that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Abdul19
June 25, 2022, 12:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Poojah

2. The game saw the first appearance of Town’s godawful GTS kit. It would be the only time we would wear that kid as intended, with white names and black numbers on the back. The shirt was a direct rip-off of Juventus’ 2002/3 kit, but the football league wouldn’t allow different coloured names and numbers the following season, and so we had to settle for red, which looked shíte.

[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2EEN3MR/football-nationwide-division-1-grimsby-town-v-brighton-hove-albion-4503-grimsbys-christopher-thompson-celebrates-with-the-fans-mandatory-creditaction-images-rudy-lhomme-2EEN3MR.jpg[/img]

3. Danny Coyne wore a white goalkeeper shirt, that was never seen again. Danny likewise.

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/grimsby-towns-goalkeeper-danny-coyne-picture-id680962694?s=2048x2048[/img]

Was this the only time MM was sponsored by Vets 4 Pets?

And top work by GTS in getting the badge on the wrong side 👍

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
RonMariner
June 25, 2022, 12:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,672
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah

4. I accidentally saw Darren Mansaram’s cóck in the bogs of the Baton Rouge later that night. It had both good length and girth. Regrettably, I have no photographic evidence of this.

Have to say I am disappointed to read this from you. You are one of the finest posters on this board and I always look forward to your insights. But I expect better than this from you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Poojah
June 25, 2022, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,521
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from RonMariner

Have to say I am disappointed to read this from you. You are one of the finest posters on this board and I always look forward to your insights. But I expect better than this from you.

Can you elaborate? It’s a true account of that day and something that stuck in my head (the memory, not Mansaram’s appendage) many years later.

I apologise if my post did not live up to your expectations.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2022, 8:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,957
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from RonMariner

I'm not from Grimsby, but was Baton Rouge that bad that somebody like Poojah shouldn't have been frequenting it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 33
forza ivano
June 25, 2022, 11:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
can anyone update us on what certain members of that squad are doing in 2022?
A lot of them can only be traced back to 6-7 years ago
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 25, 2022, 11:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from forza ivano
can anyone update us on what certain members of that squad are doing in 2022?
A lot of them can only be traced back to 6-7 years ago

Shaun Allaway is currently first team goalkeeping coach at Thatcham. Alarming!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
LocalLadGTFC
June 25, 2022, 11:43am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,158
Gold Stars: 136
Andrew Love still lives in Grimsby, I played Sunday League with him a few years ago. Top bloke 👍
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 20 years ago since we played in Division One

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.