Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 20 years ago since we played in Division One
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 366 Guests

20 years ago since we played in Division One

This thread currently has 2,819 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
June 24, 2022, 8:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
Christ, if someone told me then that we would drop out of the EFL twice in the next 20 years I would not have believed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
hampshiremariner
June 24, 2022, 8:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,005
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Kris2

Really? I mean, most of these ended up as non-league journeymen or straight up retired after leaving us. They had a hardworking ethic and grit instilled in them that allowed them to excel against bigger teams back in the day but I wouldn't say we had a high standard of player back then. One or two were quality but often padded out with quite cheap and lesser known options that didn't have much of a career before or after us. In many ways it was a case of players and a manager in Buckley that just clicked, they'd fight for Buckley and won games through sheer determination. Once Buckley was gone when the results stopped coming in and the core of that group was gone was when the wheels really started falling off.

I doubt Buckley and his Buckleyites that he took from Grimsby to West Brom and back to Grimsby could happen in those leagues in this era.

The expectation levels went throough the roof, even though we were punching way above our weight. I saw us get some real drubbings away from BP. One was at Wolves where we were beaten 4-0 and a big, beefy lady behind us stood up and shouted. ‘Buckley, why don’t you f,,, off?” Andy Sinton had ripped our defence apart.
Buckley worked wonders and spoke his mind. I wish he hadn’t come back so we could remember him for taking us to Wembley for the first time, rather than all the abuse he later received. He was a good football man and had no time for some of the administrators who he famously said ‘were not football peeple’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
hampshiremariner
June 24, 2022, 8:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Christ, if someone told me then that we would drop out of the EFL twice in the next 20 years I would not have believed it.

Too true, Ron. For the first time for many seasons I feel that we now have a bright future with the new owners. Watching the Play-Off compilation on YouTube was so dramatic. How those lads fought against all the odds and kept fighting. Brought tears to my eyes even though I am an old man. Rekindled my pride in being a Mariner. Just great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
hampshiremariner
June 24, 2022, 8:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Andy Love left at the end of the 1999/2000 season, I seem to remember him going to Ilkeston after a few loan spells there.

Thanks for that. That Swindon game was the last of the season and there were rumours that our lot had been messing about in the hotel the night before the game. Don’t know if it is true, but they were safe with 50 or 51 points and played awfully. Andy was a bit out of his depth. We sat behnd the goal at the covered end of the County Ground, in came the corner and bang he was picking it out of the net. Welcome to the Championship (or Div2?). The other memory of that game is the stink of beefbiurgers that filled the stand for the whole 90 minutes and we went home smelling like fried onions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Poojah
June 24, 2022, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from It Bites
Brighton at home 2-2 I think was the last game at that level . I seem to remember they brought a decent following?

Yep, they had to win to stay up, and failed (obviously). It’s funny, I can’t remember what I had for lunch but I can remember trivial details from trivial games like this literally decades later. For instance:

1. Michael Keane scored a controversial penalty to put Town 1-0 up, before trolling the Brighton fans in the Osmond, pointing downwards. It would have been a nice bit of shíthousery, were we not already relegated ourselves.

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/grimsby-towns-michael-keane-points-the-way-down-for-brighton-hove-picture-id680960192?s=2048x2048[/img]

2. The game saw the first appearance of Town’s godawful GTS kit. It would be the only time we would wear that kid as intended, with white names and black numbers on the back. The shirt was a direct rip-off of Juventus’ 2002/3 kit, but the football league wouldn’t allow different coloured names and numbers the following season, and so we had to settle for red, which looked shíte.

[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2EEN3MR/football-nationwide-division-1-grimsby-town-v-brighton-hove-albion-4503-grimsbys-christopher-thompson-celebrates-with-the-fans-mandatory-creditaction-images-rudy-lhomme-2EEN3MR.jpg[/img]

3. Danny Coyne wore a white goalkeeper shirt, that was never seen again. Danny likewise.

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/grimsby-towns-goalkeeper-danny-coyne-picture-id680962694?s=2048x2048[/img]

4. I accidentally saw Darren Mansaram’s cóck in the bogs of the Baton Rouge later that night. It had both good length and girth. Regrettably, I have no photographic evidence of this.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 24, 2022, 8:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

4. I accidentally saw Darren Mansaram’s cóck in the bogs of the Baton Rouge later that night. It had both good length and girth. Regrettably, I have no photographic evidence of this.

If you wander over to the non-football thread, you will be pleased to see Wetherspoons are installing CCTV above the urinals. Twenty years too late for you to seize Mansaram’s footage mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Poojah
June 24, 2022, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490

If you wander over to the non-football thread, you will be pleased to see Wetherspoons are installing CCTV above the urinals. Twenty years too late for you to seize Mansaram’s footage mind.

Footage? I mean it was big, but not that big…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 24, 2022, 8:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

Footage? I mean it was big, but not that big…

Wasn’t Mansaram’s nickname ‘Flash’?

I guess that’s how he got it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
ginnywings
June 24, 2022, 8:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Kris2

Really? I mean, most of these ended up as non-league journeymen or straight up retired after leaving us. They had a hardworking ethic and grit instilled in them that allowed them to excel against bigger teams back in the day but I wouldn't say we had a high standard of player back then. One or two were quality but often padded out with quite cheap and lesser known options that didn't have much of a career before or after us. In many ways it was a case of players and a manager in Buckley that just clicked, they'd fight for Buckley and won games through sheer determination. Once Buckley was gone when the results stopped coming in and the core of that group was gone was when the wheels really started falling off.

I doubt Buckley and his Buckleyites that he took from Grimsby to West Brom and back to Grimsby could happen in those leagues in this era.

Yes really.

When did we last have players as good as Coyne, McDermott, Gallimore, Santos, Barnard, Groves, Pouton, Oster, Hughes, Jevons, Kabba, Boulding, Livingstone?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
DB
June 24, 2022, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,873
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes really.

When did we last have players as good as Coyne, McDermott, Gallimore, Santos, Barnard, Groves, Pouton, Oster, Hughes, Jevons, Kabba, Boulding, Livingstone?

I do feel sorry for the newbies, but when you have witnessed the above, and others who nearly took us into Division 1 (Today's prem ) then we had the best seasons ever. I do feel sorry for those who witnessed the Fenty era but this club is better than that and so are the supporters.

The future is looking good, good times are coming.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 20 years ago since we played in Division One

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.