codcheeky
June 15, 2022, 11:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sc.....evel-rise-2050s.html

Just looking at this report it must be time we accepted that the World is not going to act on global warming and our area is one of those most seriously at risk.  There are probably still a few climate change deniers on here but for most the need to start thinking about doing something about it is here, It looks like we are willing to spend well over 100 billion for a railway to make it a few minutes quicker from the second biggest to the biggest city in the U.K. but quite happy to potentially let large areas of our country slide into the sea.  Blundell Park is perhaps the lowest ground in the country and most at risk.
Our local PMs have both quite happily voted to let water companies continue polluting our rivers with out consequences despite the beaches and bathing in our area being a massive asset.  It’s easy to say these are just projections and may not come true but if  we really care about our kids and grandkids we need to demand better or do we just sit back and watch a disaster unfold in slow motion?
Private Message
FishOutOfWater
June 20, 2022, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from codcheeky
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sc.....evel-rise-2050s.html

Just looking at this report it must be time we accepted that the World is not going to act on global warming and our area is one of those most seriously at risk.  There are probably still a few climate change deniers on here but for most the need to start thinking about doing something about it is here, It looks like we are willing to spend well over 100 billion for a railway to make it a few minutes quicker from the second biggest to the biggest city in the U.K. but quite happy to potentially let large areas of our country slide into the sea.  Blundell Park is perhaps the lowest ground in the country and most at risk.
Our local PMs have both quite happily voted to let water companies continue polluting our rivers with out consequences despite the beaches and bathing in our area being a massive asset.  It’s easy to say these are just projections and may not come true but if  we really care about our kids and grandkids we need to demand better or do we just sit back and watch a disaster unfold in slow motion?

It was mentioned on the radio last week........it definitely is the lowest ( at a mere 2 feet above sea level )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 11
Humbercod
June 20, 2022, 3:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
There are 2 ways to look at the report
1. Another exaggerated scare story
2. Or It’s just Climate change

Either way ‘thinking about doing something’ will not stop Mother Nature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
codcheeky
June 20, 2022, 4:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
[b][/b]
Quoted from Humbercod
There are 2 ways to look at the report
1. Another exaggerated scare story
2. Or It’s just Climate change

Either way ‘thinking about doing something’ will not stop Mother Nature.

The Netherlands have much of their land below sea level, unlike us they have done something about it and not waited for the whims of mother nature. London has massive barrier on the Thames, we are looking at losing massive areas of farmland and many coastal towns, there is no long term plan because there is no political will to spend the money we need to in unfashionable areas
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Humbercod
June 20, 2022, 5:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Many coastal towns especially the smaller ones have conveniently been forgotten about, I cycled up the East coast a few years ago and there were some towns that I went through that now look like ghost town’s totally neglected. I don’t think rising sea levels would be high on these local community’s investment wish list.

As for raising sea levels in North East Lincs I think we have invested over the years on sea defence, I think you would have to go back to the 70s the last time we suffered a flood from the sea. I would be interested to know how much if any the sea has risen over the years around here, I can’t say there has been much difference that I’ve noticed especially if you look at the sea defence between Wonderland and Suggitts Lane, the level line seem to be the same for as long as I can remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
FishOutOfWater
June 23, 2022, 4:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod
Many coastal towns especially the smaller ones have conveniently been forgotten about, I cycled up the East coast a few years ago and there were some towns that I went through that now look like ghost town’s totally neglected. I don’t think rising sea levels would be high on these local community’s investment wish list.

As for raising sea levels in North East Lincs I think we have invested over the years on sea defence, I think you would have to go back to the 70s the last time we suffered a flood from the sea. I would be interested to know how much if any the sea has risen over the years around here, I can’t say there has been much difference that I’ve noticed especially if you look at the sea defence between Wonderland and Suggitts Lane, the level line seem to be the same for as long as I can remember.

I don't live locally but remember that surge in December 2013?

Was there much of an impact then?

I was in Hull that night when the Humber overtopped and the flood water encroached in to the city and of course on the south bank, South Ferriby was badly affected

I know Immingham Docks had some issues there but I don't recall seeing much about how Cleethorpes and the rest of the coast close to Blundell Park might have been affected?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 11
lukeo
June 26, 2022, 6:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,397
Gold Stars: 149
December 2013? I wonder if that was the time when the freshney over flooded and half the willows estate went under water. My mum lives in the middle of the estate (quite far from the river!) and it was that bad it came right up to her doorstep. 100s of homes were flooded
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Humbercod
June 26, 2022, 7:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
December 2013? I wonder if that was the time when the freshney over flooded and half the willows estate went under water. My mum lives in the middle of the estate (quite far from the river!) and it was that bad it came right up to her doorstep. 100s of homes were flooded

Going slightly off topic now the 2013 flood was due to massively high rainfall when two weeks work of rain fell in just 1 hour, throw in the fact that the willows is built on a flood plain and it was inevitable, but nothing to do with rising sea levels on our coast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
FishOutOfWater
June 27, 2022, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Going slightly off topic now the 2013 flood was due to massively high rainfall when two weeks work of rain fell in just 1 hour, throw in the fact that the willows is built on a flood plain and it was inevitable, but nothing to do with rising sea levels on our coast.

I think you're getting mixed up with the 2007 floods ( June ) when there was the incessant rain

The 2013 incidents ( December ) were caused by the high tide and a surge down the North Sea.... not too dissimilar to the 1953 floods but fortunately not as intense

http://www.humbernature.co.uk/admin/resources/1.-susan-manson-and-philip-winn-environment-agency.pdf
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 11
Humbercod
June 28, 2022, 3:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I think you're getting mixed up with the 2007 floods ( June ) when there was the incessant rain

The 2013 incidents ( December ) were caused by the high tide and a surge down the North Sea.... not too dissimilar to the 1953 floods but fortunately not as intense

http://www.humbernature.co.uk/admin/resources/1.-susan-manson-and-philip-winn-environment-agency.pdf

From Melanie Onn during her Parliament debate on the 7th July 2015 -

“We have seen several major flooding incidents over the past few years, several of which have caused huge disruption and devastation to many residents in my constituency, Great Grimsby. In December 2013, the east coast was hit by the largest tidal surge in 60 years. In June and July 2007, Yorkshire and Humberside was the region worst affected by the summer floods, which also affected coastal areas further down the east coast and across the south, as well as many inland areas. That was a consequence of the wettest summer on record. The floods in Grimsby last summer were also the result of exceptionally high rainfall, with some areas getting two weeks’ worth of rainfall in just one hour. Elsewhere, the early 2014 floods in the south-west and areas around the Thames came during the wettest winter on record”

Again still nothing to do with rising sea levels, as you’re own link doesn’t mention.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Rising seas

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.