4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
May 21, 2022, 8:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,334
Gold Stars: 62
Popped down to the ground yesterday and they are certainly spending big bucks on giving Paul and the team the best possible surface to play on. The osmand is getting a make over. Speaking to the staff this is the start of a five year plan for blundell park I wonder what else they have in store for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
May 21, 2022, 10:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Popped down to the ground yesterday and they are certainly spending big bucks on giving Paul and the team the best possible surface to play on. The osmand is getting a make over. Speaking to the staff this is the start of a five year plan for blundell park I wonder what else they have in store for us.

You can get a lot done in 5 years that is for sure.

I remember as a lad walking up those steps at the back of the Barretts stand for the first match of the season and getting a first view of the pitch and the ground. I was so excited to see the pitch looking pristine and the stands that had been cleaned and painted ready for the big kick-off. Although the stadium hasn't changed for decades there was always a frisson of excitement to see even the smallest of improvements. In the 90's when they painted the floodlights black and white I was made up, so God knows what it will be like if they make substantial improvements to our cherished Blundell Park.

For those thinking it, yes I know I should get out more.

I do hope they make substantial improvements to the stadium though - so we are happier with it in the next 5 or 10 years whatever the future may hold after that.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
rancido
May 21, 2022, 10:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
I was amazed how well the pitch has stood up this season and looked very good for the last game. I started watching town in the mid 1960's and by the end of the season both goalmouths were mostly mud with very little grass.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
crusty ole pie
May 21, 2022, 11:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido
I was amazed how well the pitch has stood up this season and looked very good for the last game. I started watching town in the mid 1960's and by the end of the season both goalmouths were mostly mud with very little grass.

I said exactly the same will never forget joey waters running half the length of the pitch knee deep well almost perhaps his ankles to tuck it away with plumb
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
rancido
May 21, 2022, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96

I said exactly the same will never forget joey waters running half the length of the pitch knee deep well almost perhaps his ankles to tuck it away with plumb

Exactly! What I find more amazing is how well it recovered after that first year of the COVID pandemic when it was criminally neglected by the previous parsimonious regime.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
crusty ole pie
May 21, 2022, 12:18pm

Whiskey Drinker

I do hope they make substantial improvements to the stadium though - so we are happier with it in the next 5 or 10 years whatever the future may hold after that.

It’s pretty obvious that moving is not on the agenda of this owner but investing in blundell is. perhaps a new main stand better toilet facilities seating in the corners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Brazilnut
May 21, 2022, 12:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30

You can get a lot done in 5 years that is for sure.

I remember as a lad walking up those steps at the back of the Barretts stand for the first match of the season and getting a first view of the pitch and the ground. I was so excited to see the pitch looking pristine and the stands that had been cleaned and painted ready for the big kick-off. Although the stadium hasn't changed for decades there was always a frisson of excitement to see even the smallest of improvements. In the 90's when they painted the floodlights black and white I was made up, so God knows what it will be like if they make substantial improvements to our cherished Blundell Park.

For those thinking it, yes I know I should get out more.

Now like you I have a special place in my fond memories of the Barrett Stand .....the oh so slow Mariners .....nothing like todays version .....the sway of the crowd .... they way you could go top to bottom in 1 surge or vice a versa...... the stink of stale fags .....some poor kids trying to sell the telegraph in 2nd half .... but those back steps are not 1 of them ...they wobbled there was no balustrade and seeing my head was level with the banister ...it would only have taken a slight nudge from some hefty bloke to send me the quick way down ......never liked the back way out  

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
Heisenberg
May 21, 2022, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93

It’s pretty obvious that moving is not on the agenda of this owner but investing in blundell is. perhaps a new main stand better toilet facilities seating in the corners

The owners’ stance on a new stadium is my only gripe with them. Blundell Park is un-salvageable. Waste of money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
Poojah
May 21, 2022, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Heisenberg

The owners’ stance on a new stadium is my only gripe with them. Blundell Park is un-salvageable. Waste of money.

My gut feel is that the new owners have not in fact written off relocation from BP, but want to disassociate themselves from 30 years of fruitless bluster until such a time there is something concrete and viable to announce.

In the meantime they’ve acknowledged that just because you might hope to move in the future, you cannot afford to let your current home degrade year upon year as has been the case for the last couple of decades. It’s not about spending huge sums of money but rather some low level investment in ground maintenance to keep the old girl vaguely respectable.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Heisenberg
May 21, 2022, 2:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Poojah

My gut feel is that the new owners have not in fact written off relocation from BP, but want to disassociate themselves from 30 years of fruitless bluster until such a time there is something concrete and viable to announce.

In the meantime they’ve acknowledged that just because you might hope to move in the future, you cannot afford to let your current home degrade year upon year as has been the case for the last couple of decades. It’s not about spending huge sums of money but rather some low level investment in ground maintenance to keep the old girl vaguely respectable.

Which is fair enough, but there’s talk on here of re-building the main stand, for example. This is pure speculation, but that would be a huge investment and would clearly be the end of any talk of moving homes, which I think would be a huge shame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The new pitch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.