4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
May 21, 2022, 8:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Popped down to the ground yesterday and they are certainly spending big bucks on giving Paul and the team the best possible surface to play on. The osmand is getting a make over. Speaking to the staff this is the start of a five year plan for blundell park I wonder what else they have in store for us.
Logged Online
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
May 21, 2022, 10:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Popped down to the ground yesterday and they are certainly spending big bucks on giving Paul and the team the best possible surface to play on. The osmand is getting a make over. Speaking to the staff this is the start of a five year plan for blundell park I wonder what else they have in store for us.

You can get a lot done in 5 years that is for sure.

I remember as a lad walking up those steps at the back of the Barretts stand for the first match of the season and getting a first view of the pitch and the ground. I was so excited to see the pitch looking pristine and the stands that had been cleaned and painted ready for the big kick-off. Although the stadium hasn't changed for decades there was always a frisson of excitement to see even the smallest of improvements. In the 90's when they painted the floodlights black and white I was made up, so God knows what it will be like if they make substantial improvements to our cherished Blundell Park.

For those thinking it, yes I know I should get out more.

I do hope they make substantial improvements to the stadium though - so we are happier with it in the next 5 or 10 years whatever the future may hold after that.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
rancido
May 21, 2022, 10:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 93
I was amazed how well the pitch has stood up this season and looked very good for the last game. I started watching town in the mid 1960's and by the end of the season both goalmouths were mostly mud with very little grass.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
crusty ole pie
May 21, 2022, 11:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido
I was amazed how well the pitch has stood up this season and looked very good for the last game. I started watching town in the mid 1960's and by the end of the season both goalmouths were mostly mud with very little grass.

I said exactly the same will never forget joey waters running half the length of the pitch knee deep well almost perhaps his ankles to tuck it away with plumb
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
rancido
May 21, 2022, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449

I said exactly the same will never forget joey waters running half the length of the pitch knee deep well almost perhaps his ankles to tuck it away with plumb

Exactly! What I find more amazing is how well it recovered after that first year of the COVID pandemic when it was criminally neglected by the previous parsimonious regime.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
crusty ole pie
May 21, 2022, 12:18pm

Whiskey Drinker

I do hope they make substantial improvements to the stadium though - so we are happier with it in the next 5 or 10 years whatever the future may hold after that.

It’s pretty obvious that moving is not on the agenda of this owner but investing in blundell is. perhaps a new main stand better toilet facilities seating in the corners
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Brazilnut
May 21, 2022, 12:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30

You can get a lot done in 5 years that is for sure.

I remember as a lad walking up those steps at the back of the Barretts stand for the first match of the season and getting a first view of the pitch and the ground. I was so excited to see the pitch looking pristine and the stands that had been cleaned and painted ready for the big kick-off. Although the stadium hasn't changed for decades there was always a frisson of excitement to see even the smallest of improvements. In the 90's when they painted the floodlights black and white I was made up, so God knows what it will be like if they make substantial improvements to our cherished Blundell Park.

For those thinking it, yes I know I should get out more.

Now like you I have a special place in my fond memories of the Barrett Stand .....the oh so slow Mariners .....nothing like todays version .....the sway of the crowd .... they way you could go top to bottom in 1 surge or vice a versa...... the stink of stale fags .....some poor kids trying to sell the telegraph in 2nd half .... but those back steps are not 1 of them ...they wobbled there was no balustrade and seeing my head was level with the banister ...it would only have taken a slight nudge from some hefty bloke to send me the quick way down ......never liked the back way out  

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
Heisenberg
May 21, 2022, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,817
Gold Stars: 89

It’s pretty obvious that moving is not on the agenda of this owner but investing in blundell is. perhaps a new main stand better toilet facilities seating in the corners

The owners’ stance on a new stadium is my only gripe with them. Blundell Park is un-salvageable. Waste of money.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
Poojah
May 21, 2022, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from Heisenberg

The owners’ stance on a new stadium is my only gripe with them. Blundell Park is un-salvageable. Waste of money.

My gut feel is that the new owners have not in fact written off relocation from BP, but want to disassociate themselves from 30 years of fruitless bluster until such a time there is something concrete and viable to announce.

In the meantime they’ve acknowledged that just because you might hope to move in the future, you cannot afford to let your current home degrade year upon year as has been the case for the last couple of decades. It’s not about spending huge sums of money but rather some low level investment in ground maintenance to keep the old girl vaguely respectable.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Heisenberg
May 21, 2022, 2:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

My gut feel is that the new owners have not in fact written off relocation from BP, but want to disassociate themselves from 30 years of fruitless bluster until such a time there is something concrete and viable to announce.

In the meantime they’ve acknowledged that just because you might hope to move in the future, you cannot afford to let your current home degrade year upon year as has been the case for the last couple of decades. It’s not about spending huge sums of money but rather some low level investment in ground maintenance to keep the old girl vaguely respectable.

Which is fair enough, but there’s talk on here of re-building the main stand, for example. This is pure speculation, but that would be a huge investment and would clearly be the end of any talk of moving homes, which I think would be a huge shame.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
ginnywings
May 21, 2022, 4:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Brazilnut

Now like you I have a special place in my fond memories of the Barrett Stand .....the oh so slow Mariners .....nothing like todays version .....the sway of the crowd .... they way you could go top to bottom in 1 surge or vice a versa...... the stink of stale fags .....some poor kids trying to sell the telegraph in 2nd half .... but those back steps are not 1 of them ...they wobbled there was no balustrade and seeing my head was level with the banister ...it would only have taken a slight nudge from some hefty bloke to send me the quick way down ......never liked the back way out  

That would have been me. Didn't sell many though as I was too engrossed in the football.

My paper selling career didn't last long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
Swansea_Mariner
May 21, 2022, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Quoted from Heisenberg

100% agree with this, they have been/are excellent but their stance on this key issue is extremely disappointing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
pen penfras
May 21, 2022, 6:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

100% agree with this, they have been/are excellent but their stance on this key issue is extremely disappointing.

Whilst I completely agree that BP is a money sink and we need to move to progress, it's pretty obvious that without a very wealthy backer that will fund it, we aren't going to be moving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
gtfc_chris
May 22, 2022, 6:32am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,446
Gold Stars: 110
Quoted from Heisenberg

Which is fair enough, but there’s talk on here of re-building the main stand, for example. This is pure speculation, but that would be a huge investment and would clearly be the end of any talk of moving homes, which I think would be a huge shame.

But that's coming from a fan who would like to see the Main Stand rebuilt. I would too. Like someone mentioned, I think relocation is on the agenda but not at the same priority as previous. We've seen theyre doing all they can to improve supporter rapport with the Club as a whole and I think having a current stadium that is closer to meeting their needs/expectations will help make those improvements quicker than the start to finish of a new stadium.

Few people will know what's going on in the background but personally I hope they're progressing ideas for a new stadium but if they deliver in 15 years without 12 of them being all wishy-washy updates on how we're moving forward but going nowhere at the same time then I think we'd prefer that to the same soundbites we've heard for 30 years if not longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
Theimperialcoroner
May 22, 2022, 7:17am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Last season we could’ve done with another couple of thousand seats for about 5 games. The temporary seats would deliver that short term, but as we build they may not be enough. Seeing as we are currently in the league we are in, is there a possibility of having standing in the corners? You’d get more fans/m sq. Not sure if we can now we are all seater though, isn’t there something to do with the grants we received way back then.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
aldi_01
May 22, 2022, 8:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
BP could be and would be in a far better state had the precious regime not completely neglected it chasing their dream, and in the process wasting thousands of club pounds on a project they were never getting off of the drawing board for various reasons…

We’re not moving from BP anytime soon so no point going on about it and the number 1 reason is cash…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
toontown
May 22, 2022, 8:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,158
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Last season we could’ve done with another couple of thousand seats for about 5 games. The temporary seats would deliver that short term, but as we build they may not be enough. Seeing as we are currently in the league we are in, is there a possibility of having standing in the corners? You’d get more fans/m sq. Not sure if we can now we are all seater though, isn’t there something to do with the grants we received way back then.

It would be illegal for us to do now. I believe that due to being at championship level when all seating was introduced, regardless of the level we are at now, that's how this badly thought out law works.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
jimgtfc
May 22, 2022, 8:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
One thing that definitely needs improvement at BP is the main bar/kiosk/toilet set up. Any crowd north of 5,000 and the congestion in these areas is ridiculous, borderline unsafe. That’s not to mention the amount of people who must fancy a pie or a pint at half time but take one look at the stairwell and think ‘nah’, I know I have many times. I’m certainly no structural engineer but surely a new, more open plan set up by knocking a wall or 2 down will create much more space and generate more match day income. Maybe even a complete rethink of the entire of the downstairs, I know there’s a few classrooms behind the ticket office that line up with this area, could they be redesigned if they’re not used regularly? Also moving the toilets outside the main building? There’s lots of room in the corners that could free up loads of room and create a possible concourse type area. Again I’m no builder and have no idea of cost or regulations but something has to give.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
aldi_01
May 22, 2022, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t disagree but literally every ground you go to, near capacity crowd and bogs and kiosks are rammo…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Bigdog
May 22, 2022, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Possibly the redevelopment of BP and moving to a new stadium should be looked at as two entirely different projects where cash allocated for BP does not impact on future plans from a funding perspective. Project A spending two, three or even five million sprucing up BP to create a better matchday experience while increasing capacity to enable an extra two or three thousand fans to watch a match in better surroundings with better facilities. The extra income would generate enough to make Project A self-funding over a ten year period while at the same time build a larger home game fanbase to present a more solid proposition for making a move to a new stadium. If we could achieve two promotions in the meantime while creating more interest and loyalty to the club, all the better. This would give breathing space for Project B, moving to a new stadium,  to be planned alongside the developments of a club making forward moves in Project A. If circumstances and opportunities prevail in moving to a new stadium sooner than expected, the odd million or two lost in Project A aren't going to make a blind bit of difference to Project B which will need funding in the tens of millions albeit thinking our current owners will be savvy enough to make moving to a new stadium as sustainable financially as they can for the club moving forward. I don't expect the improvements made to BP in the near future will be as fancy or sustainable enough to set us on the right path for the next 100 years, but they could quite easily be a functionable building block to enable us to arrive at the much needed final destination of a brand new stadium with a larger capacity than the BP footprint could ever deliver..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
jamesgtfc
May 22, 2022, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

We can't have traditional terracing and if safe standing ever gets approved, it's the same capacity as seats. I'm happy that BP is being considered as our long-term home. I think if you extended the Findus and Main Stand you would comfortably get the extra couple of thousand we need. As part of the Main Stand extension, you would probably look to change the roof to one that offers a better view.

The beauty of extending BP is that it can be done incrementally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Heisenberg
May 22, 2022, 10:08am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We can't have traditional terracing and if safe standing ever gets approved, it's the same capacity as seats. I'm happy that BP is being considered as our long-term home. I think if you extended the Findus and Main Stand you would comfortably get the extra couple of thousand we need. As part of the Main Stand extension, you would probably look to change the roof to one that offers a better view.

The beauty of extending BP is that it can be done incrementally.

I’d say the main stand and Osmond, being over 100 years old and built predominantly out of (100 year old) wood, they both need demolishing. And extending the findus stand would not be easy or cheap. Or worthwhile.

I agree that if we’re stuck at Blundell Park, filling the corners in somehow is probably the medium-term solution.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Bigdog
May 22, 2022, 10:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’d say the main stand and Osmond, being over 100 years old and built predominantly out of (100 year old) wood, they both need demolishing. And extending the findus stand would not be easy or cheap. Or worthwhile.

I agree that if we’re stuck at Blundell Park, filling the corners in somehow is probably the medium-term solution.

I don't think anything quite as dramatic will happen as extending the Findus or demolishing whole stands. Probably new roofs on the Main and Osmond and concrete instead of wood in the Main, an extension of the Main toward the Pontoon and the extension of the Pontoon into the corners. Basic concrete and metal with better facilities, functionable to add capacity for the next decade or so, nothing more than that, but it will serve a transitionary purpose in so many ways..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
ginnywings
May 22, 2022, 11:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
The work being done in the Osmond is of the needs to be done variety because the metalwork has been merrily rusting away for decades and I don't think it is just the Osmond stand either.

I think the focus currently is on a new training ground and better facilities for the players, of which sorting the BP pitch is part. This won't come cheap but is important in attracting better players. Cheapside isn't very appealing and the off pitch facilities are mostly in flimsy portacabins.

Sort the team, then the ground. It would be great to have a new ground or a revamped BP, but I'd rather we had a better team first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
jamesgtfc
May 22, 2022, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
York have rugby played on their pitch and it was in excellent condition yesterday. Apparently Lincoln spent £500k on their pitch last summer and that is what our pitch ideally needs. I expect that kind of money will get spent on wherever we choose play our football long-term but it's great to see improvements being made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Bristol Mariner
May 22, 2022, 12:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Pitches don’t win you matches 😉

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 22, 2022, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
What’s the current capacity of the lower findus (or whatever guise it goes under these days) ?

And not being a builder or knowing if it’s at all even possible:

could the lower be extended to the edge of the 6 yard box on either side as a permanent structure (with some form of roof!)

Could the pontoon be extended towards the main and/or findus stand

Just general questions tbh

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
jimgtfc
May 22, 2022, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from aldi_01
I don’t disagree but literally every ground you go to, near capacity crowd and bogs and kiosks are rammo…

You’re absolutely right, they are. But we hit rammed at just over half full. Because it gets like that at other grounds isn’t a reason for us to leave it be imo. I’ve been to plenty of grounds where a simple pisss or pie is achievable within the 15 minutes.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
May 22, 2022, 2:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Bigdog
Possibly the redevelopment of BP and moving to a new stadium should be looked at as two entirely different projects where cash allocated for BP does not impact on future plans from a funding perspective. Project A spending two, three or even five million sprucing up BP to create a better matchday experience while increasing capacity to enable an extra two or three thousand fans to watch a match in better surroundings with better facilities. The extra income would generate enough to make Project A self-funding over a ten year period while at the same time build a larger home game fanbase to present a more solid proposition for making a move to a new stadium. If we could achieve two promotions in the meantime while creating more interest and loyalty to the club, all the better. This would give breathing space for Project B, moving to a new stadium,  to be planned alongside the developments of a club making forward moves in Project A. If circumstances and opportunities prevail in moving to a new stadium sooner than expected, the odd million or two lost in Project A aren't going to make a blind bit of difference to Project B which will need funding in the tens of millions albeit thinking our current owners will be savvy enough to make moving to a new stadium as sustainable financially as they can for the club moving forward. I don't expect the improvements made to BP in the near future will be as fancy or sustainable enough to set us on the right path for the next 100 years, but they could quite easily be a functionable building block to enable us to arrive at the much needed final destination of a brand new stadium with a larger capacity than the BP footprint could ever deliver..

Yes from the outside this seems to be the strategy they have decided upon which is eminently sensible.

It gives fans something to look forward to in the short medium and long terms whilst not bankrupting us and focusing very much on the playing side and getting us moving up the leagues.

In the more distant future it should be easier to persuade the council, investors and all interested parties that a new stadium is in everyone's interests as hopefully we will have some years of relative success on and off the field.

Some of us may never see a new stadium but a reinvigorated and improved Blundell Park would still be very welcome and exciting.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
ska face
May 22, 2022, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,365
Gold Stars: 824
The Main Stand isn’t doing bad for a stand that’s apparently failed it’s safety test every season for the past 25 years.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
crusty ole pie
May 22, 2022, 4:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The Main Stand isn’t doing bad for a stand that’s apparently failed it’s safety test every season for the past 25 years.

I can assure you the main stand has not failed any safety certificate and group who do the checks are quite impressed with the management of the stand
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
crusty ole pie
May 22, 2022, 4:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
I just wish that they would put some stain on the outside timbers it looks bloody awful when passing on the train
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
ska face
May 22, 2022, 4:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,365
Gold Stars: 824

I can assure you the main stand has not failed any safety certificate and group who do the checks are quite impressed with the management of the stand

Yeah that’s my point.

The way people go on you’d think a stiff breeze would knock it down. It may not be the Horiyu-ji Temple, but just being made of wood doesn’t mean it’s knackered.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
moosey_club
May 22, 2022, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
The Main Stand was and is way ahead of its time, Forest Green want to build their entire new stadium of wood, where do you think they got that idea from ?
Wood is pretty much the most sustainable material on the planet.
The Main Stand , in parts, used recycled timber from the previous ground, again recycling years ahead of anyone.

It should be celebrated as the innovative structure it is, not just ripped down.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
GrimPol
May 22, 2022, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -668
Gold Stars: 68

But the wooden stand would make the insurance very high surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
arryarryarry
May 22, 2022, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
The Main Stand was and is way ahead of its time, Forest Green want to build their entire new stadium of wood, where do you think they got that idea from ?
Wood is pretty much the most sustainable material on the planet.
The Main Stand , in parts, used recycled timber from the previous ground, again recycling years ahead of anyone.

It should be celebrated as the innovative structure it is, not just ripped down.

So was the main stand at Bradford, just saying.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
RonMariner
May 22, 2022, 6:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
When did having a good surface to play on ever get you three points on a Saturday……
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
aldi_01
May 23, 2022, 6:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
They’ve peddled a myth for years that the main stand won’t get its safety certificate, a myth probably perpetuated by the morons that used to be in charge to push their new ground agenda.

It’ll be fine, it’s wood, so what. Plenty of structures are wood. Using the Bradford fire as an example of why it’s dangerous doesn’t really prove anything. It was 1985, health and safety was very different, a discarded cigarette and a build up of rubbish was the cause, not the structure of the building being wooden. The pontoon is steel and concrete but could still go up in flames…

After the disastrous decision to furlough our groundsman, we did well to have a pitch that held up for the rest of last season. We sorted it out for this year but it seems that most clubs relay the pitch regularly and I guess when the one thing in your stadium that needs to be good isn’t, you change it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 23, 2022, 6:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
I notice that the majority of clubs use those massive lamps now with many used from seized drugs operations

http://radiojamaicanewsonline.com/sports/from-ganja-farms-to-a-football-field

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
aldi_01
May 23, 2022, 6:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I notice that the majority of clubs use those massive lamps now with many used from seized drugs operations

http://radiojamaicanewsonline.com/sports/from-ganja-farms-to-a-football-field

Most of the drug operations locally are still working so unlikely for us. We’d have to buy new…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.