moosey_club
May 2, 2022, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

3/4 of the 44 games so far is 33 and above that is Waterfall 42, Clifton 40, Taylor 36, McAtee 35 and Fox & Sousa on 33.

Interesting ta,  but surprised Grant didn't just scrape in.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
TheRealJohnLewis
May 2, 2022, 7:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You have to discard anyone who has played such a small number of games as it's not representative which removes most of those you've named. McKeown and Crocombe both have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. Interesting that we achieved more PPG with McKeown in the side but the stats quite clearly show that McAtee has played in about 2/3 of the season and our form with him playing has been title winning and without him, it's been relegation form.

PPG is not irrelevant in deciding who to vote for.

Our PPG with Clifton is 1.83 and without is 0.75.

McAtee's 1.94/0.88 is 2.20 times better with him in the squad

Clifton's 1.83/0.75 is 2.44 times better.

Therefore Clifton for POTY.

But stats are irrelevant opinion is all that matters and I think Clifton deserves YPOTY more than McAtee.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
TheRealJohnLewis
May 2, 2022, 7:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from moosey_club

Interesting ta,  but surprised Grant didn't just scrape in.

Grant just missed out on 32 games.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
jamesgtfc
May 2, 2022, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190

Our PPG with Clifton is 1.83 and without is 0.75.

McAtee's 1.94/0.88 is 2.20 times better with him in the squad

Clifton's 1.83/0.75 is 2.44 times better.

Therefore Clifton for POTY.

But stats are irrelevant opinion is all that matters and I think Clifton deserves YPOTY more than McAtee.

Clifton has barely missed a game which makes the stats a bit skewed but his fitness is insane and he can do a job just about anywhere so I expect you will always get 40+ games out of him which is a credit to the lad.

Do we have a Players Player Of The Year? Be interesting to see who gets that if we do as I think there are a number of potential winners of that one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Mayaman
May 3, 2022, 1:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
It's a shame Efete has had spells out.  For me he is a much a key player as McAtee.  Having them both out is a real pain.  I also rate Amos - he just gets on with his job, and seems to be improving all the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
Son of Cod
May 3, 2022, 9:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
McAtee is our best player. The most talented player we have in our ranks easily. However, Waterfall has been our best player over the course of the season. He's not had a slump in form, only sporadic matches every once in a while. He's been an absolute rock all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 65
Mariner_09
May 3, 2022, 10:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mayaman
It's a shame Efete has had spells out.  For me he is a much a key player as McAtee.  Having them both out is a real pain.  I also rate Amos - he just gets on with his job, and seems to be improving all the time.

I think the absence of McAtee, Efete AND Amos on Saturday was very noticeable. We really only had Scanz who was capable of creating anything. I agree re Efete, he's had a great season and his absence has always been noted. Non league defenders generally don't know how to deal with a full back like him.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
diehardmariner
May 3, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Waterfall for me.

I can see the argument about how we tailed off without McAtee but since returning from his Autumn injury/suspension he's not recaptured that same form on a consistent enough basis for me.  Don't get me wrong, he's our talisman and everything goes through him - when he plays well, we play well.  But I think you could make the argument that without Waterfall we wouldn't be as good a team.  It just so happens he's played most of the games and consistently looked excellent.

Had he joined in August/September, Danny Amos would be a good dark horse for it.  He's been outstanding since he settled in.  
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
Kris2
May 4, 2022, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
McAtee really does change how we play and is able to bring people like Taylor into games by giving him an outlet with great link up play. The pressing he does in games lets us pick up more second balls and gives teams less time on the ball. It's very noticeable when he's not playing in how we approach the game. I don't think even Bogle had as much influence on how we play.

Waterfall has improved so much on last season, has been consistently solid at the back, dangerous from set pieces and a leader on the pitch that the team can rely on. I think the reaction to his OG at Barnet sums him up, he dug his heels in and made up for the mistake by scoring an important goal where he's regularly chipped in with goals from set pieces. Apparently a big reason Hurst kept him when many others were told they can go and everyone thought he'd be released is that he had a good attitude in training and in the dressing room even if things were not going right on the pitch for him. I guess keeping somebody with the right attitude pays off sometimes as he's paid the gaffer back ten fold for believing in him. Hurst seems to prefer players with the right attitude who carry themselves a certain way, he doesn't have time for sulking and troublemaking.

It's really hard to choose between the two because they've both been so good.  
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
moosey_club
May 4, 2022, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226

Grant just missed out on 32 games.

Ohhhhh....games.....I thought he was quoting minutes...makes sense now

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player Of The Year Voting

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.