Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 1, 2022, 10:27pm

I think we all know that the GTFC player of the year will be John McAtee.

https://gtfc.co.uk/voting-now-open-for-player-of-the-year-awards/
Posted by: davmariner, May 1, 2022, 10:55pm; Reply: 1
I’ve voted for Clifton. Not the obvious choice, but he’s been superb this season and an unsung hero.
Posted by: LH, May 1, 2022, 11:02pm; Reply: 2
Waterfall POTS
McAtee YPOTS

Waterfall deserves recognition for his improvement although it helps that McAtee is eligible for YPOTS.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 2, 2022, 1:12am; Reply: 3
Waterfall, although he deserves a Saudi style flogging for that own goal the other day
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 2, 2022, 1:17am; Reply: 4
How often has Waterfall scored an own goal and then gone on to correct it with a goal in the right net?
Posted by: gary_elton, May 2, 2022, 1:31am; Reply: 5
Luke Waterfall for me... Mcatee and Harry very very close tho...
Posted by: Mayaman, May 2, 2022, 1:38am; Reply: 6
As much as I like McAtee, I think if things aren't going for him, his temperament gets the better of him. I voted for the Phoenix - Waterfall.  He's battled for everything this season.  Even after his superb diving header for Barnet, he didn't let his head get down
Posted by: aldi_01, May 2, 2022, 4:37am; Reply: 7
Waterfall…a player that looked finished under Hollowhead and a player who looked to have just faded in to the distant memory by the end of last season.

This season, well, he’s like a new man and OG aside, he’s been nothing short of excellent, chipped in with important goals, has helped bring on players like Towler and Smith and it’s clear he is respected and valued…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 2, 2022, 7:34am; Reply: 8
I’ve gone for Harry but could have been Waterfall. McAtee as Young Player, not as consistent as the other two.
Posted by: wiggers, May 2, 2022, 7:48am; Reply: 9
Waterfall POTY he’s been brilliant this season
McAtee YPOTY we are not as good without him
Posted by: Hagrid, May 2, 2022, 7:55am; Reply: 10
I like Harry but im not seeing that he’s even close to POTY

Waterfall for me
mcatee for YP
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 2, 2022, 8:41am; Reply: 11
McAtee for me. Waterfall has been good but if we didn’t lose McAtee for those awful 12-13 games I genuinely think we could’ve challenged for the title, he’s that vital to us.
Posted by: toontown, May 2, 2022, 9:04am; Reply: 12
Probably mcatee for me, just because he's so vital to the way we play, that spell without him showed that. Shame there isn't a most improved player award, Waterfall would probably get 100% of the vote.
Harry for young player of the year.
Posted by: It Bites, May 2, 2022, 9:49am; Reply: 13
Waterfall for me by a country mile
Posted by: joe56, May 2, 2022, 10:19am; Reply: 14
In my opinion, it’s a no brainer: John McAtee. My brother, who rarely goes to games nowadays, accompanied me to one of the early fixtures His verdict was that McAtee was the best player on the pitch by a mile in terms of skill, vision and endeavour, and was at a level at least two leagues above the rest. I see no reason to disagree. I feel that Waterfall comes nowhere near him. To give McAtee the young player award would be an insult.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 2, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from joe56
In my opinion, it’s a no brainer: John McAtee. My brother, who rarely goes to games nowadays, accompanied me to one of the early fixtures His verdict was that McAtee was the best player on the pitch by a mile in terms of skill, vision and endeavour, and was at a level at least two leagues above the rest. I see no reason to disagree. I feel that Waterfall comes nowhere near him. To give McAtee the young player award would be an insult.

To me, it's about a player that performs week in, week out and that narrows it down to Waterfall and Clifton to me. McAtee has tons of ability without doubt, and we miss him dreadfully when he's not playing but he isn't as consistent as the other two.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 2, 2022, 5:27pm; Reply: 16
Waterfall, and Harry as Young POTY

McAtee is far too inconsistent to be considered for either. I would put Taylor and Smith ahead of McAtee.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 2, 2022, 5:43pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

McAtee is far too inconsistent to be considered for either. I would put Taylor and Smith ahead of McAtee.

McAtee is far too inconsistent?

Quoted from GrimRob
Average points when McAtee starts: 1.94
Average points when McAtee does not play: 0.88 (excludes today's result)

We are literally half the team without him

Posted by: RobDef1, May 2, 2022, 5:51pm; Reply: 18
Waterfall POTS
McAtee YPOTS were my votes.

I wonder how may will vote McAtee POTS before realising he is an option for YPOTS, I often forget just how young he is.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 2, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from jamesgtfc

McAtee is far too inconsistent?

If only it was as easy as PPG.

Macca is 1.88 and Crocombe is 1.63, so by your theory, Macca is 15% better than Crocombe. (stats include wins and losses in cup games)

Edit: Essel, Dieseruvwe, Amos, Cropper, Jones Mk2, Raikhy, Smith, Jones Mk1, Scannell, Wright, Holohan, & Khouri all have a higher PPG than McAtee. So PPG is irrelevant in deciding POTY
Posted by: marinerjase, May 2, 2022, 6:09pm; Reply: 20
Should make our own mock awards up to add to the list:

Best Newcomer: Danny Amos
Best Disappearing Act: Grant
Posted by: It Bites, May 2, 2022, 6:19pm; Reply: 21
I think the thinking man's supporter will vote for waterfall and the fan that gets excited easily will vote for McAtee .
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 2, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 22
Waterfall does perform very well week in week out.  And is the most improved player.

MCAtee is the talisman and very exciting to watch.  He has missed 2 spells through injury and one spell after getting a red card.  These absences reduce his and the teams effectiveness with results suffering.  The award covers a whole season.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 2, 2022, 6:33pm; Reply: 23

Initially I thought exactly this but then it felt a bit odd seeing Harry in for YPOTY. He's 23 now, made his debut years ago and is an established 1st team player, not what I would consider a young player.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 2, 2022, 7:03pm; Reply: 24
Always an interesting debate/time of year this .......obvious shouts for Mcatee and Waterfall....would think if you looked round the rest of the squad aside from Harry there is hardly anyone who has held their position for any length of time.

Personally I wouldn't normally consider anyone who hasn't played at least three quarters of the games, not sure what sort of pool that would leave you picking from this season.

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 2, 2022, 7:12pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club
Always an interesting debate/time of year this .......obvious shouts for Mcatee and Waterfall....would think if you looked round the rest of the squad aside from Harry there is hardly anyone who has held their position for any length of time.

Personally I wouldn't normally consider anyone who hasn't played at least three quarters of the games, not sure what sort of pool that would leave you picking from this season.

3/4 of the 44 games so far is 33 and above that is Waterfall 42, Clifton 40, Taylor 36, McAtee 35 and Fox & Sousa on 33.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 2, 2022, 7:21pm; Reply: 26

If only it was as easy as PPG.

Macca is 1.88 and Crocombe is 1.63, so by your theory, Macca is 15% better than Crocombe. (stats include wins and losses in cup games)

Edit: Essel, Dieseruvwe, Amos, Cropper, Jones Mk2, Raikhy, Smith, Jones Mk1, Scannell, Wright, Holohan, & Khouri all have a higher PPG than McAtee. So PPG is irrelevant in deciding POTY

You have to discard anyone who has played such a small number of games as it's not representative which removes most of those you've named. McKeown and Crocombe both have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. Interesting that we achieved more PPG with McKeown in the side but the stats quite clearly show that McAtee has played in about 2/3 of the season and our form with him playing has been title winning and without him, it's been relegation form.

PPG is not irrelevant in deciding who to vote for.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 2, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 27
Waterfall for me. Consistent and almost an ever present, though Harry was very close to getting my vote.

McAtee has been a tad inconsistent in play and in appearances, but he is young and will get better.

Harry for YPOTY. He deserves some recognition for a great season.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, May 2, 2022, 7:44pm; Reply: 28
I've gone for Waterfall. He never misses a game and is a different player from last year. Mind you we haven't got Holloway telling him to dribble it out his 6 yard box now
Posted by: joe56, May 2, 2022, 7:46pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from It Bites
I think the thinking man's supporter will vote for waterfall and the fan that gets excited easily will vote for McAtee .

Self praise is no recommendation! 😅
Posted by: moosey_club, May 2, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 30

3/4 of the 44 games so far is 33 and above that is Waterfall 42, Clifton 40, Taylor 36, McAtee 35 and Fox & Sousa on 33.

Interesting ta,  but surprised Grant didn't just scrape in.

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 2, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You have to discard anyone who has played such a small number of games as it's not representative which removes most of those you've named. McKeown and Crocombe both have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. Interesting that we achieved more PPG with McKeown in the side but the stats quite clearly show that McAtee has played in about 2/3 of the season and our form with him playing has been title winning and without him, it's been relegation form.

PPG is not irrelevant in deciding who to vote for.

Our PPG with Clifton is 1.83 and without is 0.75.

McAtee's 1.94/0.88 is 2.20 times better with him in the squad

Clifton's 1.83/0.75 is 2.44 times better.

Therefore Clifton for POTY.

But stats are irrelevant opinion is all that matters and I think Clifton deserves YPOTY more than McAtee.

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 2, 2022, 7:54pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from moosey_club

Interesting ta,  but surprised Grant didn't just scrape in.

Grant just missed out on 32 games. ;D

Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 2, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 33

Our PPG with Clifton is 1.83 and without is 0.75.

McAtee's 1.94/0.88 is 2.20 times better with him in the squad

Clifton's 1.83/0.75 is 2.44 times better.

Therefore Clifton for POTY.

But stats are irrelevant opinion is all that matters and I think Clifton deserves YPOTY more than McAtee.

Clifton has barely missed a game which makes the stats a bit skewed but his fitness is insane and he can do a job just about anywhere so I expect you will always get 40+ games out of him which is a credit to the lad.

Do we have a Players Player Of The Year? Be interesting to see who gets that if we do as I think there are a number of potential winners of that one.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 3, 2022, 1:18am; Reply: 34
It's a shame Efete has had spells out.  For me he is a much a key player as McAtee.  Having them both out is a real pain.  I also rate Amos - he just gets on with his job, and seems to be improving all the time.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 3, 2022, 9:47am; Reply: 35
McAtee is our best player. The most talented player we have in our ranks easily. However, Waterfall has been our best player over the course of the season. He's not had a slump in form, only sporadic matches every once in a while. He's been an absolute rock all season.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 3, 2022, 10:23am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Mayaman
It's a shame Efete has had spells out.  For me he is a much a key player as McAtee.  Having them both out is a real pain.  I also rate Amos - he just gets on with his job, and seems to be improving all the time.

I think the absence of McAtee, Efete AND Amos on Saturday was very noticeable. We really only had Scanz who was capable of creating anything. I agree re Efete, he's had a great season and his absence has always been noted. Non league defenders generally don't know how to deal with a full back like him.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 3, 2022, 1:34pm; Reply: 37
Waterfall for me.

I can see the argument about how we tailed off without McAtee but since returning from his Autumn injury/suspension he's not recaptured that same form on a consistent enough basis for me.  Don't get me wrong, he's our talisman and everything goes through him - when he plays well, we play well.  But I think you could make the argument that without Waterfall we wouldn't be as good a team.  It just so happens he's played most of the games and consistently looked excellent.

Had he joined in August/September, Danny Amos would be a good dark horse for it.  He's been outstanding since he settled in.  
Posted by: Kris2, May 4, 2022, 11:44am; Reply: 38
McAtee really does change how we play and is able to bring people like Taylor into games by giving him an outlet with great link up play. The pressing he does in games lets us pick up more second balls and gives teams less time on the ball. It's very noticeable when he's not playing in how we approach the game. I don't think even Bogle had as much influence on how we play.

Waterfall has improved so much on last season, has been consistently solid at the back, dangerous from set pieces and a leader on the pitch that the team can rely on. I think the reaction to his OG at Barnet sums him up, he dug his heels in and made up for the mistake by scoring an important goal where he's regularly chipped in with goals from set pieces. Apparently a big reason Hurst kept him when many others were told they can go and everyone thought he'd be released is that he had a good attitude in training and in the dressing room even if things were not going right on the pitch for him. I guess keeping somebody with the right attitude pays off sometimes as he's paid the gaffer back ten fold for believing in him. Hurst seems to prefer players with the right attitude who carry themselves a certain way, he doesn't have time for sulking and troublemaking.

It's really hard to choose between the two because they've both been so good.  
Posted by: moosey_club, May 4, 2022, 8:26pm; Reply: 39

Grant just missed out on 32 games. ;D

Ohhhhh....games.....I thought he was quoting minutes...makes sense now
Posted by: HerveJosse, May 4, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 40
It’s a lot easier to be a solid reliable centre back at this level then a game changing , playmaker and scorer of quality goals..Mcatee no contest for me.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 4, 2022, 11:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from HerveJosse
It’s a lot easier to be a solid reliable centre back at this level then a game changing , playmaker and scorer of quality goals..Mcatee no contest for me.

Surely that reasoning applies at every level of football?

Certainly it’s going to be between these two but Waterfall for me. As fans defensive mistakes and goals given away tend to stay in our thoughts and minds much longer than missed chances or misplaced through balls.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 4, 2022, 11:17pm; Reply: 42
I think it's a testament to how far we've come in the last 12 months that we can argue about who our POTY should be between Waterfall, McAtee and Clifton.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 5, 2022, 5:50am; Reply: 43
Quoted from HerveJosse

Or perhaps Mcatee is, much like Waterfall, at the right even for him.

What you’ve said makes zero logic, both players are good in their respective roles…
Posted by: HerveJosse, May 7, 2022, 5:27pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from HerveJosse

But clearly not that easy
Posted by: Meza, May 7, 2022, 5:33pm; Reply: 45
POTY - Clifton
YPOTY - McAtee
Most Improved Player - Waterfall (is last few matches has cost him the award for me, still had a good season though) just slightly ruined it for himself in my eyes.
Posted by: fishcake63, May 7, 2022, 5:57pm; Reply: 46
He's been immense all season & today doesn't alter that fact
Posted by: mariners1, May 7, 2022, 6:01pm; Reply: 47
Waterfall? After today?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 7, 2022, 6:02pm; Reply: 48
He has not been immense his errors have cost at least 5 goals this season when he has been caught ball watching add to that the OGs and his stupid sending off today. Good yes, immense no.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 7, 2022, 6:02pm; Reply: 49
I’m amazed how anyone thinks Clifton has had a POTY season. Yes he’s done better and this is his best season but he’s not in that bracket for me.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 7, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 50
I suppose it should be Luke Wat.......

Oh, hang on.....
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 7, 2022, 8:50pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I’m amazed how anyone thinks Clifton has had a POTY season. Yes he’s done better and this is his best season but he’s not in that bracket for me.

If POTY was awarded solely on effort then I think Clifton would be the runaway winner. If he could become a bit more consistent with his technique, touch and finishing he'd be playing miles above this level.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 8, 2022, 4:59am; Reply: 52
A defender's mistake does cost goals.  Easier to see than the copious misses by forward players.  Waterfall may have cost us 5 goals but he has 6 to his own tally.  
Posted by: fishcake63, May 8, 2022, 7:52am; Reply: 53
All defenders have mistakes in the locker at this level it's how most goals are scored , luckily he only misses one match so we move on & try to get that vital point tuesday against a side knowing only a victory will do , 99% sure now it will be notts away in play off
Posted by: joe56, May 10, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 54
I see that McAtee swept the board. Well deserved.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, May 11, 2022, 7:47am; Reply: 55
Quoted from joe56

Did McAtee pick up POTY and YPOTY?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 11, 2022, 8:15am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Did McAtee pick up POTY and YPOTY?

Mariners Trust POTY
Junior Mariners Trust POTY
Official POTY
Official YPOTY
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 11, 2022, 11:34am; Reply: 57
Quoted from joe56

Thought I heard that Waterfall got one presented pre-match.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 11, 2022, 12:22pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Les Brechin

That was The Fishy Twit Of The Week.
Posted by: Davec, May 11, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Les Brechin

The away travel club player of the year
Posted by: Croxton, May 11, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Davec

The away travel club player of the year

At least they didn't throw him under the bus.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 12, 2022, 6:57pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from joe56

Priority 1 for the summer is to make sure he stays with us. I am sure there will be offers coming in for him.
Posted by: joe56, May 16, 2022, 11:18pm; Reply: 62
I’m wondering if the Player of the Year awards are quietly being consigned to the dustbin of history. The low key presentation on the pitch after a match seemed a bit odd, as is the fact that the results, after nearly a week, still haven’t been published on the club website. I can’t say I’m particularly bothered myself, but it would be interesting to know the reasons.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 17, 2022, 6:28am; Reply: 63
I noticed a few clubs did them on the pitch, have they run their course? Is anyone arsed, in truth, I can’t say I’ve missed them….
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 17, 2022, 7:23am; Reply: 64
Quoted from aldi_01
I noticed a few clubs did them on the pitch, have they run their course? Is anyone arsed, in truth, I can’t say I’ve missed them….

A lot of non-league clubs traditionally do them on the pitch or in the stand after their last home game of the season.

I got told the reason we aren't having a proper awards night is because the season isn't over and they are worried about hosting a packed awards night and players contracting Covid. Also, if we go all the way, it's late and the players will have a shortened break anyway.

Still, a little write up from the club or Telegraph wouldn't have gone amiss.
Posted by: joe56, May 17, 2022, 2:57pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A lot of non-league clubs traditionally do them on the pitch or in the stand after their last home game of the season.

I got told the reason we aren't having a proper awards night is because the season isn't over and they are worried about hosting a packed awards night and players contracting Covid. Also, if we go all the way, it's late and the players will have a shortened break anyway.

Still, a little write up from the club or Telegraph wouldn't have gone amiss.

That all makes sense. Thanks James.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 12:47pm