Poojah
January 31, 2022, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,740
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Randomness is an established game-theoretic tactic - didn't it save us from nuclear war when Lyndon Johnson got his member out in a meeting with the Soviets - if he does that he might actually press the red button. Possibly apocryphal, but he did get it out and wave it about alot, which would be unsettling in any negotiation.

Sorry but seeing the words “Johnson”, “nob out”, “soviets” and “nuclear war” in the same sentence is giving me sweaty palms given our illustrious leader’s forthcoming trip to the region.

Let’s just hope he can be forced out of power before he has time to unzip…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
ginnywings
January 31, 2022, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner
Donny at home was of course when Bignot opted to give a first start to Dan Jones.

Jones, signed as one for the future, has since gone onto have a decent career at left-back/left side centre-back and is currently at Port Vale, where he kept Danny Amos out the starting line-up this season.

Of course, Jones made his full debut for Town in a central-midfield.  Why?  Well Bignot said he'd seen that Jones had a decent left peg in training.   Despite taking the lead, Town got dicked and completely over-run in a really bizarre midfield system that I think was intended to be a diamond but ended up looking more like a fried egg, Craig Disley sat on the bench throughout.

Marquis took the plaudits but it was a Gary McSheffrey pulling the strings behind that ran the show.  12 months later he'd be blowing out of his bottom as Town got dicked 4-0 at, former club, Coventry.  Soon to never be seen again.

I remember Bignot saying that he liked to put players in unfamiliar positions to see how they coped and test their mettle.

He certainly tested that theory to destruction.

He was barmy wasn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
aldi_01
February 1, 2022, 5:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings

I remember Bignot saying that he liked to put players in unfamiliar positions to see how they coped and test their mettle.

He was barmy wasn't he?

Whereas Holloway was a flipping charlatan, Bignot was crackers. Absolute nutcase…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Maringer
February 1, 2022, 8:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
The other thing to remember is that Bignot signed about 5 central midfielders for some reason. And then played a defender in midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
Davec
February 1, 2022, 8:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
Bignot was an absolute lunatic, his team selections looked as so it was from Bignot's bingo, his tactics as previously stated were so bizarre that it either led to us getting battered or it was bizarre it totally outfoxed the oppositon which led to a win, Plymouth away comes to mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
diehardmariner
February 1, 2022, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,693
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from ginnywings

He was barmy wasn't he?

I kinda get the thinking, very loosely.  If you've got a young right winger, for example, who isn't tracking back and helping out his full-back then putting him at full-back is a great way of getting him to appreciate why he needs to track back.  Equally so it gives an insight into what a full-back sees, which can only be of advantage when trying to exploit that position.  

Also the great Ajax and Dutch sides of the 70's were famous for their flexibility when it came to formations and positions.  

But, nah.  I'm in full agreement with you, he was just bonkers.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2022, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner

I kinda get the thinking, very loosely.  If you've got a young right winger, for example, who isn't tracking back and helping out his full-back then putting him at full-back is a great way of getting him to appreciate why he needs to track back.  Equally so it gives an insight into what a full-back sees, which can only be of advantage when trying to exploit that position.  

Also the great Ajax and Dutch sides of the 70's were famous for their flexibility when it came to formations and positions.  

But, nah.  I'm in full agreement with you, he was just bonkers.

I actually think Peter Bore played his best football for us at right back. He was a great athlete, had decent close control and could finish which is probably why he started out as a striker but he always struck me as being a bit slow in thought and deed.

On the wing and up front you need to be thinking quickly but when he moved back and became an attacking full back, he often had the time and could see the space ahead of him. He was outstanding against Mansfield at home when he scored a hat-trick from right back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
diehardmariner
February 1, 2022, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,693
Gold Stars: 540
A few years back I was speaking to someone who played in the same Town team as Peter Bore, I'll not name him as it's not really fair to do so.

But he said pretty much the same about Bore, he reacted rather than anticipated when in a more attacking role.  Whereas in defence he could see more of the game going on so was able to improve his reading of it, almost as if it allowed him to plot how things would open up.  He also said it wasn't attitude or desire that Bore lacked, despite common belief, but actual belief in his own ability.   One of the things Buckley tried to get into his head was that he was good enough to take players on, to shoot on sight and cause havoc.  But he over thought everything.  You look at a lot of his goals, most of them are when he had little time to think about it.  

Interestingly he said defensively Bore was just ok.  He looked a lot better, not my words, because the rest of the defence was so poor and slow that Bore's pace was utilised to get the team out of situations it should never have got in to start with.  I thought that was a bit harsh personally.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln City Accounts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.