3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 27, 2022, 12:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
I know someone whose two lads went into the Scunny academy because they had a more professional set up and were higher up the leagues than us at the time.

He lives a 5 minute walk from BP but would drive his kids to Scunthorpe every weekend.

Don't know what the situation is now but we were not an attractive prospect compared to others and the better lads just get hoovered up by those that can offer more.

It's one of the things we need to improve and to be fair I think we are getting better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
GollyGTFC
January 27, 2022, 12:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from ginnywings
I know someone whose two lads went into the Scunny academy because they had a more professional set up and were higher up the leagues than us at the time.

He lives a 5 minute walk from BP but would drive his kids to Scunthorpe every weekend.

Don't know what the situation is now but we were not an attractive prospect compared to others and the better lads just get hoovered up by those that can offer more.

It's one of the things we need to improve and to be fair I think we are getting better.

Tony Gallimore’s son was the same. He’s been semi-regular for their first team recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 27
BraStrap
January 27, 2022, 1:14pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
If kids don't play football then how come they turn into adults who do?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
January 27, 2022, 1:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

Sacked off football and became a Police Officer for Humberside Police.

Wow really!  That is a surprise.
Reply: 13 - 27
gtfc_chris
January 27, 2022, 1:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Pressure and money are the major factors.

Modern football fans are far less patient with their expectations of success and how long it can take to develop. I blame technology personally, with nearly everything available at the end of your fingers on a mobile phone we're an almost instant society. Shopping without leaving the house, next day delivery, betting, Wikipedia. No more busses and 6 shopping bags per hand, having to find time in your day to get to the bookies or visiting the library to find the information needed on a school project. That mentality has crept into football where we expect everything to be almost instant, results, signings etc. I consider it sort of proven when 5 months into the first full season of the new owners and people are questioning the long term project because we've hit a bump in the short term. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

With this ever increasing pressure for quick success, managers can't afford to gamble on young, inexperienced and untested players. Unless you're a club with plenty of £££s behind you and can carry youngsters alongside the experienced pro's then they're signed as a token gesture to the youth system but will ultimately be cast aside when their first year pro is up and the cycle repeats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
Spurn boy
January 28, 2022, 7:14pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,232
Gold Stars: 26
Today’s football requires players that can provide ‘instant success ‘ and the youth team players in the club very rarely get the chance to get that opportunity, I too remember the days of the Moore brothers, Drinkell, Wilkinson , Ford and Lund but sadly those days have gone, I’m not even sure who in the town first team squad are local boys but I’m sure someone will tell me.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Kris2
January 29, 2022, 12:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

Peter Bore?  I was in the Pontoon when he came on as a sub for his debut, and scored twice.  Whatever happened to him?

He met Alan Buckley lol. Guy just didn't like him for one reason or another so his chances were limited and he bought in other forwards so Bore dropped to midfield getting limited starts then Buckley tried to force him out on loan but he came back earlier than planned. Then Newell made him a defender and while he did well he became burned out on football and performances suffered. Bounced around local non league teams before a career change.

Must suck when you finish your debut season as joint top scorer as a striker then your manager prefers an overweight Nathan Jarman up front lol.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Davec
January 29, 2022, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Kris2

He met Alan Buckley lol. Guy just didn't like him for one reason or another so his chances were limited and he bought in other forwards so Bore dropped to midfield getting limited starts then Buckley tried to force him out on loan but he came back earlier than planned. Then Newell made him a defender and while he did well he became burned out on football and performances suffered. Bounced around local non league teams before a career change.

Must suck when you finish your debut season as joint top scorer as a striker then your manager prefers an overweight Nathan Jarman up front lol.

I remember his hat trick against Mansfield on New years day and after that he didn't do much at all did he and times he looked as so he couldn't really be arsed, didn't he then go on trial with league 1 teams or something but didn't get offered anything then he slipped down the leagues, probably he's like Scott Neilson and Dom Vose etc, didn't really have the passion and drive for football.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
TwoLeftFeet
January 29, 2022, 10:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Kids do still play football but its generally in organised teams gone are the days when parks would be full of kids playing football with there mates.. jumpers for goalposts..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
pen penfras
January 29, 2022, 3:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Pressure and money are the major factors.

Modern football fans are far less patient with their expectations of success and how long it can take to develop. I blame technology personally, with nearly everything available at the end of your fingers on a mobile phone we're an almost instant society. Shopping without leaving the house, next day delivery, betting, Wikipedia. No more busses and 6 shopping bags per hand, having to find time in your day to get to the bookies or visiting the library to find the information needed on a school project. That mentality has crept into football where we expect everything to be almost instant, results, signings etc. I consider it sort of proven when 5 months into the first full season of the new owners and people are questioning the long term project because we've hit a bump in the short term. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

With this ever increasing pressure for quick success, managers can't afford to gamble on young, inexperienced and untested players. Unless you're a club with plenty of £££s behind you and can carry youngsters alongside the experienced pro's then they're signed as a token gesture to the youth system but will ultimately be cast aside when their first year pro is up and the cycle repeats.

Their actions that contradict their statements are what deserve questioning, not the expectation of instant success.

- building for the future then only make short term signings and loanees.
- competitive budget yet can't stump up a bit more for our 2nd best performer of the season to stay. We've not got a big squad.
- office staff leaving due to the way they've been treated and the new CEO no way in line with the treating employees with respect mantra.
- players to be treated with respect and not just an asset, then tell our longest serving player to pack his bags in January, then tell him he can stay if he wants.
- found a movement to say certain things shouldn't be done without fans consultation and then go and change the club's badge like it doesn't apply to them.
- CEO picking a pointless argument with another club on twitter.
- Put pictures of a new stadium in the press and promise that, then as soon as you take over say we're not doing that any time soon.
- Late filing of documents with companies house.

It's hardly been a good year for them even if you ignore the on-field shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let me put this out there

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.