3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Ruston AT
January 27, 2022, 11:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

OK, we can all see we need a striker, my question is, " where are the Wilkinsons, Drinkells, Fords , Moores?  A long time ago I played for Town Juniors at least six of the squad were from Grimsby with the likes of Martin Young and Jimmy Lumby making the grade.

I remember Paul Wilkinsons debut, a skinny lad with a bit of quality I think he scored on his debut because he was given a chance with no fear.
  Either our scouting system is woeful,  the players are just not out there or the league clubs are hoovering the young players up and spitting them out onto the scrap heap.

Please feel free to red cross me!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
January 27, 2022, 11:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
I'll add Gary Lund to that list...
Funnily enough I was listening to Les Ferdinand on talk sport this morning and he was saying old schools strikers just don't exist anymore,
That role has changed from being the man who just strolled around hanging off the sdge of the 18 yard box ready to bust the bet to a player who expected to run about, challenging, haranguing the defenders, ruining back to back up the defence.
Basically, we longer make up like we used to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
sonofmadeleymariner
January 27, 2022, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Ruston AT

OK, we can all see we need a striker, my question is, " where are the Wilkinsons, Drinkells, Fords , Moores?  A long time ago I played for Town Juniors at least six of the squad were from Grimsby with the likes of Martin Young and Jimmy Lumby making the grade.

I remember Paul Wilkinsons debut, a skinny lad with a bit of quality I think he scored on his debut because he was given a chance with no fear.
  Either our scouting system is woeful,  the players are just not out there or the league clubs are hoovering the young players up and spitting them out onto the scrap heap.

Please feel free to red cross me!  

Same place as all good youth players end up going, snapped up by bigger clubs
Pollock- Watford
Starbuck- Sheffield Utd
Grist- Leicester

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
crusty ole pie
January 27, 2022, 11:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,335
Gold Stars: 62
Kids don’t play football anymore fifa is far more exciting in their eyes . We don’t have the breading grounds for 11 year olds anymore when I was a kid we had every school playing each other on a regular basis, we had 12 teams in the boys brigade league there was youth teams playing every Saturday and Sunday. The parks was full every night after school with kids having a kick about none of that is there so hence no talent coming through the ranks and what is there is quickly soaked up and taken out of the area
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
January 27, 2022, 12:05pm
Guest User

Same place as all good youth players end up going, snapped up by bigger clubs
Pollock- Watford
Starbuck- Sheffield Utd
Grist- Leicester

Peter Bore?  I was in the Pontoon when he came on as a sub for his debut, and scored twice.  Whatever happened to him?
Reply: 4 - 27
Rodley Mariner
January 27, 2022, 12:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,237
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Kids don’t play football anymore fifa is far more exciting in their eyes . We don’t have the breading grounds for 11 year olds anymore when I was a kid we had every school playing each other on a regular basis, we had 12 teams in the boys brigade league there was youth teams playing every Saturday and Sunday. The parks was full every night after school with kids having a kick about none of that is there so hence no talent coming through the ranks and what is there is quickly soaked up and taken out of the area

This just isn't true. I'm involved in grassroots football and there are thousands of kids out playing football. All my lads and their mates do every lunchtime at school is play football. If it was true how do you square it with the best England team in 50 years packed with young talent?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
oochiad
January 27, 2022, 12:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
Yeah, kids play computer games now…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
buckstown
January 27, 2022, 12:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 79
Simply not true that kids don't play football any more. I'm involved with my local club and we have  kids of all ages ranging from 5-18, training or playing games every Saturday. Many of them also play for other clubs on Sundays, they can't get enough!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
Les Brechin
January 27, 2022, 12:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'll add Gary Lund to that list...
Funnily enough I was listening to Les Ferdinand on talk sport this morning and he was saying old schools strikers just don't exist anymore,
That role has changed from being the man who just strolled around hanging off the sdge of the 18 yard box ready to bust the bet to a player who expected to run about, challenging, haranguing the defenders, ruining back to back up the defence.
Basically, we longer make up like we used to

Our strikers have bust my bet quite regularly this season!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Chrisblor
January 27, 2022, 12:54pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,751
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from 123614

Peter Bore?  I was in the Pontoon when he came on as a sub for his debut, and scored twice.  Whatever happened to him?

Sacked off football and became a Police Officer for Humberside Police.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Let me put this out there

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.