ginnywings
January 19, 2022, 7:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face
I think if we had a bit more quality and athleticism at left back/wing-back, you could potentially move to a 5-3-2, with three centre halves, attacking wing-backs, two in the middle with McAtee just behind a front two of Taylor and A.N.Other.

Crocombe

Longe-King     Waterfall     Pearson

Efete              Left wing-back

Clifton     Fox

McAtee

Taylor    No.9

But that’s obviously complete fantasy at the minute. You’re then needing two high-quality signings at LB and up top, you lose a lot of the attacking threat we have in Sousa and JMD as well as all the width in the attacking third. Unless, of course, you’ve got a mobile no.9 who can pull into wide positions leaving Taylor in the middle, but then what’s the point in having a goal scorer if he’s going to spend all his time outside the box?

Who’d be a football manager eh? Not me.

That may explain the signing of Amos and Smith and the possible signing of Hickman. PH did intimate in an interview that he was possibly looking to go in a different direction.

Three at the back with Smith as the one who can carry the ball out defence and sweep up around the back as he did on Saturday when Pearson slipped. Amos left wing back and Efete or a new signing as right wing back.

Don't know where Sousa, JMD and Wright fit into that scenario though, so maybe It's a non starter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
toontown
January 19, 2022, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Effete provides zero width so it's a non starter with him. He doesn't cross from deep, he doesn't beat a man to get to the bye line, he does on occasion push forward and come inside. In this scenario the one thing he offers going forward would be negated by a crowded central area anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
LondonMariner43
January 20, 2022, 12:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,951
Gold Stars: 64
This may be a controversial decision but I think if Efete and Clifton came into the team from last week, we will start scoring regular goals.

Crocombe
Efete, Waterfall, Pearson, Amos
JMD, Clifton, Fox, Sousa/ Wright
McAtee Taylor

The issue is that we don't have sufficient quality to cover for this 11, particularly upfront.

I think Wright creates more real chances than Sousa but there is something to be said for Sousa terrorising defences for 60 mins and then Max comes on to deliver the killer ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
LondonMariner43
January 20, 2022, 12:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,951
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from toontown
Effete provides zero width so it's a non starter with him. He doesn't cross from deep, he doesn't beat a man to get to the bye line, he does on occasion push forward and come inside. In this scenario the one thing he offers going forward would be negated by a crowded central area anyway.

you must have watched different games from me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
TownSNAFU5
January 20, 2022, 1:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
Sousa may not produce as many crosses, or good crosses, as Wright but he does create chances for others with his forward runs.  

He also won the corner from which McAtee scored with that spectacular volley.

At Halifax they put 2 players on him to nullify him.  This should have created space for our other players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Maringer
January 20, 2022, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,503
Gold Stars: 185
I'm an advocate of playing wingers who are a handful, even if they don't produce quite as much of a threat as they should. If he's playing well, Sousa's running and pace will cause problems and it helps tire the opposition defence out, allowing Wright to come on and have a bigger impact.

At least, that's the hope! Some players always seem to do better coming off the bench and it may be that Wright is destined to be one of those types.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Hagrid
January 20, 2022, 2:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,393
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from toontown

i think Efete's been a good signing for us, been impressed with him when he's played
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Maringer
January 20, 2022, 3:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,503
Gold Stars: 185
I think Efete looks a decent player but I think he has more to offer than he has shown. He's done well bursting through into attack on occasion, but doesn't do it often enough for me, something which I think Hurst has alluded to in interviews in the past. I don't think it is necessarily a fitness thing as he doesn't seem to be blowing most of the time. More a change of mindset required.

With JMD looking he will become a fixture on the right wing, we'll need to see Efete get forward and overlap more often he has been doing, once he's back to fitness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
toontown
January 20, 2022, 8:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
I think Efete looks a decent player but I think he has more to offer than he has shown. He's done well bursting through into attack on occasion, but doesn't do it often enough for me, something which I think Hurst has alluded to in interviews in the past. I don't think it is necessarily a fitness thing as he doesn't seem to be blowing most of the time. More a change of mindset required.

With JMD looking he will become a fixture on the right wing, we'll need to see Efete get forward and overlap more often he has been doing, once he's back to fitness.

Agreed its not a fitness issue, he's got great stamina for a pretty big guy. But if your a wingback as opposed to a full back you have to be able to provide attacking width as your the only one that can, so either crosses coming in from wide or beating a man and crossing in. Efete is not inclined to do either.

He will get the ball drive forward and then a bit past the halfway line he stops and either passes it down the line and leaves it to sousa (he doesn't overlap much), or passes it square to a CM or on occasion drive inwards diagonally into the middle. This isn't play that would lend itself well to a wingback as there isn't a winger to pass forward to and the whole point is he doesn't go inside but offers width. He has had one game at home, can't remember who it was against, when he did drive forward in a wide position,was easily his best game for town but then it disappeared again. Even then tho it was more in the middle third than the final. Might be a confidence thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
rancido
January 21, 2022, 12:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Sousa may not produce as many crosses, or good crosses, as Wright but he does create chances for others with his forward runs.  

He also won the corner from which McAtee scored with that spectacular volley.

At Halifax they put 2 players on him to nullify him.  This should have created space for our other players.

Sousa does create lots of space for other players but he doesn't use it and prefers to go it alone. If he learnt to pass at the crucial moment he would produce loads of assists.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chances created

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.