Poojah
January 12, 2022, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yet we were almost swashbuckling at times earlier in the season.

No doubt, Hurst's preferred approach is one of caution.  I think he admitted as much during his first spell with a comment along the lines of 'I always preferred those 1-0's when you're defending for your life for 89 minutes than thumping someone 6-0'.   But I think it's unfair to say he can't install attacking flair, nor bring in players who are capable of doing it.  His first spell proved with countless signings that he could bring in genuinely exciting players.  Hearn, Neilson, Arnold, Bogle, Nolan....all players who looked to do something.  Even Conor Townsend is someone who I would count as a player who always looked to go forward.  McAtee and Sousa are both attack minded players who have the first thought of attacking the defence rather than playing safe.  

What I think is evident is that Hurst, his teams too, get more defensive when they don't get the rub of the green.  It becomes a vicious cycle, you've not scored for a few games so you defend deeper...before you know it you've got 10 men parked in front of your own goalkeeper.

The only stat that matters is the points column.   At this minute in time we're struggling on that front.  We need to arrest that decline, get back on track regardless of how we get there.  With the defence still fairly solid, I think there needs to be a bit of unshackling.  However I'm not convinced that we've enough quality to consistently hurt teams.  Sadly, I think a few posters have already summed it up in that we've been sussed out already.  Taylor has been nullified as the focal point, similarly to how Hanson was 2 years ago.  Without him bringing others into play we're down to Sousa and McAtee.  Sousa is erratic and lacks end product, whereas McAtee has barely played for two months. There's not really much creativity in the rest of the team to look at.  A lot of endeavor but few who will change a game.  Huge couple of weeks ahead in terms of recruitment.

The trouble is I don’t think he’s systematically very creative in the attacking sense. Early in the season we seemed to have an approach and a new set of players that clicked while other sides were working themselves and us out.

It feels like we’ve been sussed out tactically and have struggled to correct the issue. In previous spells when we’ve scored goals under Hurst we were still often predictable, but had out and out goal scorers in the side like Hearn and Amond, and / or creative players with an end product - Neilson, Arnold, Disley, Nolan and so on.

I’m not sure we’ve got enough of that right now, and so our offensive rigidity and predictability is badly exposed.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Maringer
January 12, 2022, 2:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Biggest issue is a lack of pace for me. Admittedly, this has long been my complaint about GTFC teams, probably ever since the Slade Mk. I era!

Right now, we've got no real pace amongst the defenders - Efete probably the quickest we've got, but he's a strong runner as opposed to a quick one. Clifton and Fox not slow, but not exactly fast and the same went for Hunt while he was still here. Coke definitely looking a bit slow these days. Sousa is quick, Wright is quick but rarely fit, Bapaga was quickish. JML doesn't appear to have any real pace. Does Scannell have any pace these days? Who knows? McAtee and Taylor are fast enough but not quick, LJL looking slow compared to his previous spell with us.

There's no doubt that an addition of pace makes a huge difference at any level and the options off the bench for Taylor/LJL/McAtee have been very limited indeed. Bell looked distinctly nippy but never really had the chance of a run in a settled team.

On the assumption that we're going to sign a few more players this month, I'd hope that one or two of them can pep things up by adding that extra yard of pace in the important areas of the field as that could make a real difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
Jarmo.Is.God
January 12, 2022, 2:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Missing a Jamey Osborne type player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 12, 2022, 3:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,823
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from diehardmariner

What I think is evident is that Hurst, his teams too, get more defensive when they don't get the rub of the green.  It becomes a vicious cycle, you've not scored for a few games so you defend deeper...before you know it you've got 10 men parked in front of your own goalkeeper.

This is a very good point.

Do Hurst teams (or certainly Hurst led Grimsby sides) get stuck in a rut of winless streaks? More so than other teams? Jolley, Buckley III and certainly Neil Woods all showed the same trait.

Looking at post-Christmas 2013/14, we only won 2 out of the next 10 and pre-Christmas 2014/15, it appears we only won 3/10 (5/15, before then winning the next five on the bounce), which is always likely to ruin any chance of automatic promotion when there is only one spot available.

Chesterfield have had some average results and have struggled against their rivals but appear to recover quickly to thrash the lesser sides.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Mrbump53
January 12, 2022, 3:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
It was interesting to listen to PH post match when I got back last night from the game. He raised an issue about choices that being made in some situations which is not what these players are making in training. In some instances last night we broke quickly to expose their defense but then stopped to get a "safer" pass option. This allowed their players to get back in numbers and stifle the attack on the training ground they probably would have taken a risk to get players in. This what people may call "flair" in taking a riskier approach but if the confidence is not there then players may looking for safer options. This looked to be the case in some instances last night when a shooting opportunity arose but the player chose to pass it and the space was closed off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Zmariner
January 12, 2022, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Maringer
Biggest issue is a lack of pace for me. Admittedly, this has long been my complaint about GTFC teams, probably ever since the Slade Mk. I era!

Right now, we've got no real pace amongst the defenders - Efete probably the quickest we've got, but he's a strong runner as opposed to a quick one. Clifton and Fox not slow, but not exactly fast and the same went for Hunt while he was still here. Coke definitely looking a bit slow these days. Sousa is quick, Wright is quick but rarely fit, Bapaga was quickish. JML doesn't appear to have any real pace. Does Scannell have any pace these days? Who knows? McAtee and Taylor are fast enough but not quick, LJL looking slow compared to his previous spell with us.

There's no doubt that an addition of pace makes a huge difference at any level and the options off the bench for Taylor/LJL/McAtee have been very limited indeed. Bell looked distinctly nippy but never really had the chance of a run in a settled team.

On the assumption that we're going to sign a few more players this month, I'd hope that one or two of them can pep things up by adding that extra yard of pace in the important areas of the field as that could make a real difference.

Exactly the point I made before the loss against Halifax yesterday. I do not like the lack of pace in this team And I really hope it is something that Hurst addresses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
ginnywings
January 12, 2022, 4:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mrbump53
It was interesting to listen to PH post match when I got back last night from the game. He raised an issue about choices that being made in some situations which is not what these players are making in training. In some instances last night we broke quickly to expose their defense but then stopped to get a "safer" pass option. This allowed their players to get back in numbers and stifle the attack on the training ground they probably would have taken a risk to get players in. This what people may call "flair" in taking a riskier approach but if the confidence is not there then players may looking for safer options. This looked to be the case in some instances last night when a shooting opportunity arose but the player chose to pass it and the space was closed off.

This is the nub of it for me. There are many posts by many different posters trying to figure out what has gone wrong and for me it is simply a lack of confidence stemming from some poor results that weren't expected. Not beating Wealdstone and Aldershot for instance was not what was expected and suddenly the games start piling up where wins are not materialising.

Players start to take the safe option or hesitate just that fraction too long. Chances get snatched at and opportunities missed. It becomes more and more frustrating and starts to play on the mind.

Decisions in games start to go against you and the players start to feel sorry for themselves and second guessing instead of just acting on instinct. Halfax aren't any better than we are, they're just going out expecting to win, instead of hoping to win.

I've not seen a side that are demonstrably better than us yet this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 12, 2022, 5:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,823
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from ginnywings

I've not seen a side that are demonstrably better than us yet this season.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the champions fail to break the 90 point barrier this season (or even 86 with two fewer matches than usual).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Azimuth
January 12, 2022, 9:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from davmariner
These stats lack context and are an unhelpful and mischievous comparison.

They are factual and dont lie, both managers have been a failure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
pen penfras
January 13, 2022, 9:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71

It wouldn’t surprise me if the champions fail to break the 90 point barrier this season (or even 86 with two fewer matches than usual).

Seems that way at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one team go on a 7 or 8 game winning streak and pull away from the others. The fact that Halifax are top when they don't look anything special is evidence that the league isn't as strong as some have made out. An effective game plan with some nice shithousery has been enough for them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statistics

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.