3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
December 15, 2021, 7:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Advisory role for owner's company. 1 hour per week for megabucks. Seems to work for (mostly) Tory MPs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 15, 2021, 7:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Maringer
Advisory role for owner's company. 1 hour per week for megabucks. Seems to work for (mostly) Tory MPs.

Ffs must we get a political reference into every fu(king thread on here. It’s getting tedious now

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Maringer
December 15, 2021, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Not wrong though, am I?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
DB
December 15, 2021, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,001
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from jamesgtfc
In my opinion, some of the bigger clubs will spend on infrastructure but in the main it will push other costs up.

Lets say the salary cap is set at £900k but we currently spend £1.5m on wages, we have a £600k surplus compared to a club like Boreham Wood who spend £900k or less on wages.

How we spend that £900k is down to us so we might be willing to pay a specific player £2k per week whilst other teams might think he's only worth £1.5k per week and there will always be an element of that.

When it comes to players under contract elsewhere though, clubs are going to know that we have a £600k burning hole so £50k for the next Omar Bogle becomes £250k and so on. Clubs will start putting wives in well paid jobs for doing next to nothing, to compensate for what they can't offer the player. Unsure if signing on fees and taxable benefits like cars, houses etc are within the £900k limit but I can see those increasing if they aren't.

Any salary cap in my opinion should be a percentage of turnover with loopholes that allow owners to inflate that income with over inflated sponsorships closed.

You make some good points about wives and partners. Any item bought in the wife/partner's name is their property and not the players, likewise the wife/partner employed to help, say, in the club office on £10k per week is not part of the playing staff. There's a colander of holes out there to be exploited if a club wants to.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
KingstonMariner
December 15, 2021, 11:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HerveJosse

We are not going to be doing that. JS has already expressed his support for this ‘levelling down’ in one of his Guardian articles

He’s said no such thing in any of the articles I’ve read.

But if you’re not bullshitting, as I think you are, post the link to the article where he talks about levelling down.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
pen penfras
December 16, 2021, 7:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He’s said no such thing in any of the articles I’ve read.

But if you’re not bullshitting, as I think you are, post the link to the article where he talks about levelling down.

He's spoken in favour of wage caps, although not stated what that means in his vision
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
aldi_01
December 16, 2021, 8:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

He's spoken in favour of wage caps, although not stated what that means in his vision

So no talk of levelling down then?

The minute clubs launch legal challenges them we’ll see any wage caps lifted…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Son of Cod
December 16, 2021, 9:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
The 900k wage cap hasn't been confirmed. Clubs just voted in favour of it at an AGM. Remember, this same kind of cap was found to be unlawful when they tried it in the Football League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
jamesgtfc
December 16, 2021, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Son of Cod
The 900k wage cap hasn't been confirmed. Clubs just voted in favour of it at an AGM. Remember, this same kind of cap was found to be unlawful when they tried it in the Football League.

At least one of the big spenders Chesterfield, Stockport and Wrexham will be in this division next season too so I'm sure they will be appealing if it impacts them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
louth_in_the_south
December 16, 2021, 11:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
If Boreham Wood go up then they’ll join Sutton as successful under spenders which would indicate that good recruitment and management is equally important.

Ps I can’t be ars.ed right now to investigate further back but I’m sure I’ll get shot down in flames for not knowing anything about football or being_thick

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wage cap

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.