Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Time for a change between the sticks?".
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 176 Guests

"Time for a change between the sticks?".

This thread currently has 7,596 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
November 27, 2021, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
For those saying Hurst watches them both in training and therefore must be picking the best one, well In 2016/17 we had Dean Henderson in the squad. It wasn't until bignot took charge that he got in the team. When he did it was obvious to everybody that Henderson was a far superior keeper (understandably given the career he went on to have). Hurst had watched them both in training every day but he had still persisted in picking macca regardless. I assume Hurst could see who was the better keeper, it would be bizarre if not, but he is a very conservative manager.

However he did drop macca for Eastwood last season so maybe he has changed a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
lukeo
November 27, 2021, 12:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Ipswin
What if Crocombe is simply a better goalkeeper?

We don't know of course as Hurst doesn't play him but surely being the 500 appearances goalkeeper who currently holds the jersey shouldn't be a passport to never stepping aside.

Crocombe could be be a far better keeper who should replace Macca permanently not just when Macca makes a few mistakes.

I'm pretty sure Hurst will and is playing who he believes is the best option. Remember it was Hurst and only Hurst that has dropped JM in the last 5+ years. I support whatever PH does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
realist
November 27, 2021, 12:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from lukeo

I'm pretty sure Hurst will and is playing who he believes is the best option. Remember it was Hurst and only Hurst that has dropped JM in the last 5+ years. I support whatever PH does.

This is one of the problems with supporters of this club. Blind faith helps no one. Flapper was one of the constituents of our relegation, and will be instrumental in us not getting promoted, along with Hurst. Would love to be proved wrong  but I don't think I will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
blundellpork
November 27, 2021, 8:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from lukeo

Bignot dropped him for Henderson, and Holloway dropped him for Sam Russell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
Hagrid
November 27, 2021, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from realist

This is one of the problems with supporters of this club. Blind faith helps no one. Flapper was one of the constituents of our relegation, and will be instrumental in us not getting promoted, along with Hurst. Would love to be proved wrong  but I don't think I will.

Despite the fact Macca has been part of, and Hurst the only manager too, get us promoted in the last 23 years😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
arryarryarry
November 27, 2021, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Having seen the Solihull highlights, I'm not sure if Macca had much chance in either goal and pulled off too very good saves as well.

In fact watching the first goal especially I would be looking for another left back
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 27, 2021, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry
Having seen the Solihull highlights, I'm not sure if Macca had much chance in either goal and pulled off too very good saves as well.

In fact watching the first goal especially I would be looking for another left back

I’m not sure Crookes is fully fit yet nor do I think Pearson is the right centre back to play alongside.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
arryarryarry
November 27, 2021, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m not sure Crookes is fully fit yet nor do I think Pearson is the right centre back to play alongside.

Not the first time he has gone MIA, the Notts County winner.

If he isn't fit now, when the frig will he be fit?

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
fishboyUTM
November 28, 2021, 12:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Excellent shot stopper, great club man and a leader through the spine of the team. Only 32, in his prime as a goalkeeper. He does have issues commanding his area and dominating crosses. I'd like to see him come with violence and take whatever is within his 18 yard box. I've played the game for 20 years at Sunday league level, and coached keepers and managed, so how can I judge a man with 500 plus professional games? I will anyway ha.

As an ex goalkeeper, that 18 yard box is yours and anyone who dares to come into your home should be dealt with with violence and power within the rules of the game. I see a lot of pointing and shouting, but I don't see dominance and strength. He isn't going to learn that now at 32, but I'd still consider him a top keeper at this level.

Excellent shot stopper, reasonable kicker (as there are some shockers at this level), he is a leader but he hasn't been great recently, has previously come back from brief periods of being out of the team. Perhaps it is time for the other lad to have a go. He isn't done by any means, he's a good lad and is fully committed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
Mariner John
November 28, 2021, 7:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
He can save, mess up, not command his box, it doesn't matter that much if the outfield can't have shots at the opponents goals or even score
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Time for a change between the sticks?".

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.