Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Time for a change between the sticks?".
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 309 Guests

"Time for a change between the sticks?".

This thread currently has 7,594 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
November 25, 2021, 7:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
You can all talk till the cows come home but it doesn't change the fact Macca needs dropping. Huge mistake against county and that shocker for the 2nd at Solihull, the days of saying he’s a great shot stopper as a get out of jail card are over

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
jamesgtfc
November 25, 2021, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Vance Warner
Having watched the highlights there’s so many obvious errors by a number of players for both their goals. No problem with constructive criticism of Macca but it seems to be a personal vendetta with some town fans and I’m not sure why. Lots of managers have had him as 1st choice for a reason.

Not excusing that McKeown could have done better with the second but for me, it's unacceptable for a player to start deep in his own half and get into a position where the keeper has a save to make. Somebody has to take one for the team and keep us in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 25, 2021, 10:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
[quote=591
I just feel there’s some waiting for him to make a mistake so they can trot out their lazy analysis about not commanding his area. For hidden agendas and lazy analysis see also Paul Hurst and Plan B [/quote]

Hardly lazy analysis to state the bleeding obvious. How often do you see Macca coming out and catching corners or punching them away with any sort of authority? He’s a fantastic servant to this club and gets the fans full respect for his service but I feel he makes his defenders, and a great number in the crowd, very nervous every time the opposition has a corner or free kick deep in our half.

If we really wanted to beat the man with a stick we could mention the mistakes in home games v Carlisle and Harrogate last season and the 3 points those mistakes cost us which might have been very useful in the final reckoning!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
mariner91
November 25, 2021, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,643
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
[quote=591
I just feel there’s some waiting for him to make a mistake so they can trot out their lazy analysis about not commanding his area. For hidden agendas and lazy analysis see also Paul Hurst and Plan B

Hardly lazy analysis to state the bleeding obvious. How often do you see Macca coming out and catching corners or punching them away with any sort of authority? He’s a fantastic servant to this club and gets the fans full respect for his service but I feel he makes his defenders, and a great number in the crowd, very nervous every time the opposition has a corner or free kick deep in our half.

If we really wanted to beat the man with a stick we could mention the mistakes in home games v Carlisle and Harrogate last season and the 3 points those mistakes cost us which might have been very useful in the final reckoning!!!

Exactly this. It's not lazy when it's clear as day that he won't command his six yard box let alone his goal area. And other teams know this, they whip it in right in to the six yard box because they know he won't come and get it. Or the few times he does attempt it, he often flaps and causes panic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
KingstonMariner
November 25, 2021, 10:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
Obviously Hurst knows who is the better keeper so it's upto him to decide

Now stop talking sense!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 81
KingstonMariner
November 25, 2021, 10:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
Yes but I don't think anyone's disputing that!

I think that’s exactly what everyone is doing. They’re disputing Hurst’s judgment in picking McKeown

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
Vance Warner
November 26, 2021, 6:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,800
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mariner91

Exactly this. It's not lazy when it's clear as day that he won't command his six yard box let alone his goal area. And other teams know this, they whip it in right in to the six yard box because they know he won't come and get it. Or the few times he does attempt it, he often flaps and causes panic.

It’s lazy analysis because there’s a time to come and claim things and a time to stay at home. There’s nothing worse than a keeper who tries to claim everything and gets caught out. How many goals have we conceded from corners this season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
dapperz fun pub
November 26, 2021, 7:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Vance Warner

It’s lazy analysis because there’s a time to come and claim things and a time to stay at home. There’s nothing worse than a keeper who tries to claim everything and gets caught out. How many goals have we conceded from corners this season?

Equally theirs nothing worse when a keeper who  refuses to step foot of his goal line … like others have said he doesn’t fill the defenders with confidence, it’s not personal I just want to see the other kid given a go at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
rancido
November 26, 2021, 7:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
When Macca first came here and we had dropped into non-league football I thought he was a good prospect. Had been at Peterborough, experienced non-league at Boston and also worked under Hurst. After watching him a few times it was apparent he had 2 weak areas - didn't appear to like high balls in the 6 yard area and his kicking was often wayward . But he was still young for a keeper and these weaknesses could be corrected with the right coaching and application. 10 years on and nothing has changed - he still has the same weaknesses. I always thought, and said on here many times, that he was a good non-league keeper and a reasonable 2nd division keeper. If we are to get promoted back into the league and carry that momentum forward then we need a better 1st choice keeper. Macca has been a good servant to the club and I think he will remain with the club for a few more years but we need someone better for the future. I don't know if Crocombe?(?) is the answer but obviously PH must think he has the ability or he wouldn't have signed him in the first place. It is easy to get sentimental over players that have been here a long time but nobody stays at the peak of their game forever, regardless of playing position.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
Ipswin
November 26, 2021, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
It's clear Crocombe is only going to play if / when Macca gets an injury or in minor cup games so no chance to show if he is in fact the better keeper and to get possession of the goalkeepers jersey

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Time for a change between the sticks?".

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.