2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 20, 2021, 10:56am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,952
Gold Stars: 188
For free....

Looks like Chelsea are interested in gifted Wrexham teenager Daniel Davies and should his one-week trial prove successful and result in a contract offer, reports suggest Chelsea would not even have to pay any compensation to Wrexham.

It makes you wonder why lower level clubs like us bother with a youth policy?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/.....land-gifted-21911038

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFcC2swXwAMTNhq?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Southwark Mariner
October 20, 2021, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,528
Gold Stars: 75
I still don't understand how we got so much for Ben Grist. Jason Stockwood did say how much on the radio but can't remember the amount he said...but I was surprised.

edit:
ah found it. Was an interview on 25th August

£160,000 apparently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
promotion plaice
October 20, 2021, 11:13am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,952
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I still don't understand how we got so much for Ben Grist. Jason Stockwood did say how much on the radio but can't remember the amount he said...but I was surprised.

Are the rules different now we are non-league?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Southwark Mariner
October 20, 2021, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,528
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from promotion plaice

Are the rules different now we are non-league?

I really don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
golfer
October 20, 2021, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 111
Did Chelsea have to ask the parent clubs permission for Davies to be allowed to have a trial. Surely he had some sort of contract at Wrexham which ensured he didn't just sign for any club he wanted.. It looks to me that the actors slipped up bigtime compared to our departed friend..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
mimma
October 20, 2021, 12:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,532
Gold Stars: 78
It's about time this sort of thing was sorted out. The rules on poaching young players was set up by the big clubs, in the interest of the big clubs, so that they can Hoover up any promising youn6talent in the hope that one or two make it, while the small teams get nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Chrisblor
October 20, 2021, 12:34pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,632
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

edit:
ah found it. Was an interview on 25th August

£160,000 apparently

We got 100k from Hull for 15 year old Jack Barlow a decade or so ago who went on to achieve the grand sum of intercourse all in professional football, and subsequently ended up in prison for glassing someone on a night out. Definitely makes sense to offload youth players with a big future sell on clause cos you never know how they'll pan out imo.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
RonMariner
October 20, 2021, 12:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +41 / -7
Approval: +12,947
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Chrisblor

We got 100k from Hull for 15 year old Jack Barlow a decade or so ago who went on to achieve the grand sum of intercourse all in professional football, and subsequently ended up in prison for glassing someone on a night out. Definitely makes sense to offload youth players with a big future sell on clause cos you never know how they'll pan out imo.

What about Burrell? Did he do any good at Middlesbrough? I think we got £100k for him too didn't we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
jamesgtfc
October 20, 2021, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,807
Gold Stars: 187
Maybe it has something to do with them being based in Wales and classed as foreign.

Players out of contract in the summer like Sousa can officially talk to clubs in Scotland from January but can't talk to English clubs until much later in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Chrisblor
October 20, 2021, 12:45pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,632
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from RonMariner

What about Burrell? Did he do any good at Middlesbrough? I think we got £100k for him too didn't we?

They've sent him on loan this season to Kilmarnock in the Scottish Championship, who he managed about 4 minutes for in August before getting an ankle injury which he hasn't yet recovered from. £100k is looking like very good business.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Top clubs snapping up youth team players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.