Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 20, 2021, 10:56am
For free....

Looks like Chelsea are interested in gifted Wrexham teenager Daniel Davies and should his one-week trial prove successful and result in a contract offer, reports suggest Chelsea would not even have to pay any compensation to Wrexham.

It makes you wonder why lower level clubs like us bother with a youth policy?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-battle-liverpool-land-gifted-21911038

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFcC2swXwAMTNhq?format=jpg&name=large[/img]
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 20, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 1
I still don't understand how we got so much for Ben Grist. Jason Stockwood did say how much on the radio but can't remember the amount he said...but I was surprised.

edit:
ah found it. Was an interview on 25th August

£160,000 apparently
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 20, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I still don't understand how we got so much for Ben Grist. Jason Stockwood did say how much on the radio but can't remember the amount he said...but I was surprised.

Are the rules different now we are non-league?

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 20, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

Are the rules different now we are non-league?

I really don't know.
Posted by: golfer, October 20, 2021, 11:45am; Reply: 4
Did Chelsea have to ask the parent clubs permission for Davies to be allowed to have a trial. Surely he had some sort of contract at Wrexham which ensured he didn't just sign for any club he wanted.. It looks to me that the actors slipped up bigtime compared to our departed friend..
Posted by: mimma, October 20, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 5
It's about time this sort of thing was sorted out. The rules on poaching young players was set up by the big clubs, in the interest of the big clubs, so that they can Hoover up any promising youn6talent in the hope that one or two make it, while the small teams get nothing.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 20, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

edit:
ah found it. Was an interview on 25th August

£160,000 apparently

We got 100k from Hull for 15 year old Jack Barlow a decade or so ago who went on to achieve the grand sum of intercourse all in professional football, and subsequently ended up in prison for glassing someone on a night out. Definitely makes sense to offload youth players with a big future sell on clause cos you never know how they'll pan out imo.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 20, 2021, 12:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Chrisblor

We got 100k from Hull for 15 year old Jack Barlow a decade or so ago who went on to achieve the grand sum of intercourse all in professional football, and subsequently ended up in prison for glassing someone on a night out. Definitely makes sense to offload youth players with a big future sell on clause cos you never know how they'll pan out imo.

What about Burrell? Did he do any good at Middlesbrough? I think we got £100k for him too didn't we?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 20, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 8
Maybe it has something to do with them being based in Wales and classed as foreign.

Players out of contract in the summer like Sousa can officially talk to clubs in Scotland from January but can't talk to English clubs until much later in the season.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 20, 2021, 12:45pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from RonMariner

What about Burrell? Did he do any good at Middlesbrough? I think we got £100k for him too didn't we?

They've sent him on loan this season to Kilmarnock in the Scottish Championship, who he managed about 4 minutes for in August before getting an ankle injury which he hasn't yet recovered from. £100k is looking like very good business.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 20, 2021, 1:32pm; Reply: 10
The lad Davies would be better staying away from Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and go places like Leicester, Arsenal and teams like Southampton where he might get more success but will still end up playing kids football to mid 20's. Where at Wrexham he would get more chances at men's football.

Players move to early Ryan Crowther captained Stockport at 17 back in 2006 signed for Liverpool his career went no where and even did time in prison.

Jordon Ibe had a great start at Wycombe signed for Liverpool, then Bournemouth now out of football for now suffering with depression at 25.

So young players have to be careful signing for big teams, but some parents, agents give the player bad advice.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 20, 2021, 1:40pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Maybe it has something to do with them being based in Wales and classed as foreign.

Players out of contract in the summer like Sousa can officially talk to clubs in Scotland from January but can't talk to English clubs until much later in the season.

This is the exact reason.
Posted by: grimps, October 20, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 12
I reckon any youth player poached from lower league clubs should have a 20% sell on automatically added.
It wouldn’t hurt the Prem clubs but it would make a hell of a difference to the likes of us
Posted by: Wyberway, October 20, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 13
Do we have anymore Ben grists or Harry cliftons in the youth team or younger that could earn us some money?
Posted by: DB, October 20, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Wyberway
Do we have anymore Ben grists or Harry cliftons in the youth team or younger that could earn us some money?

Louis Boyd was wantaways golden boy ( no disrespect to Louis) but we haven't heard or seen much of him since.

Posted by: Wyberway, October 20, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 15
Sounds daft, but scoring that goal probably didn’t do Louis Boyd any favours. Suddenly he’s the next big thing, adding a lot of pressure to the lad. Hopefully, he’ll come again
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 20, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Wyberway
Sounds daft, but scoring that goal probably didn’t do Louis Boyd any favours. Suddenly he’s the next big thing, adding a lot of pressure to the lad. Hopefully, he’ll come again

It must be hard to go from being a record breaker at 15 and training with the first team to not even heard of anymore. Essel, Adlard and Braithwaite all played in pre-season. I appreciate they are all older than Boyd but Boyd was ahead of them this time last year.

Boyd is 17 today too. I know that because he shares the same birthday as me!

Runaway could have potentially done a lot of mental damage with his antics last season. I hope not because it would be such a shame for a local boy who put himself in the record books to just disappear.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 20, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 17
I would always take a decent offer for players such as Barlow, Grist and Burrell and let them go if their heads, reasonably enough, are turned. It is actually quite rare for those "gems" at a certain age to fulfil their potential as the development into men's football is fraught with danger especially when you have countless young players as good or better than you as competition!

Those who stay with us, deemed not good enough by the Premier League clubs because they are later developers, say like Harry Clifton and Max Wright etc. then go on to play for the Mariners and then develop into good players in their own right, with the chance of a transfer fee in future if they continue to improve so that is a win win situation.

Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 4:59pm