Poojah
October 18, 2021, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,508
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from ska face
Will also be interesting to see what Hurst & Doig learned from their season at Shrewsbury where they were flying before dropping into the playoffs and losing in the final.

That year they won 11 of their first 15 and didn’t lose until 28th Oct. After that they won 3 of their next 7, but really tailed off at the end of the season winning only 3 of their last 10. Not helped by Wigan & Blackburn having mental seasons finishing on 98 & 96 to Shrewsbury’s 87, which was 8 clear of Rotherham in 4th.

Momentum is great but it won’t carry you through a full season realistically. Resilience, on the other hand, will and it was good to hear Waterfall recently talking about the attitude they had at Lincoln where they knew they’d lose games, but the important bit was to win the games in between those losses. Like we all know, in the past Hurst always seemed a bit too keen on not losing and probably taking a point where 3 might’ve been on the table.

Loooooooong way to go yet, so just enjoy the wins when they come.

Somewhat perversely I’m almost pleased we had that defeat at Bromley. To get that out of the way, and then to go on to win our next four games (scoring 15 goals in the process, and not conceding with 11 men on the pitch) shows that we have mental resilience, but also softens the blow when another defeat inevitably arrives.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
Billywhiz
October 18, 2021, 11:56am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +51
It’s a long long time since we’ve had the “strength in depth “ that we’ve got at the moment .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
RichMariner
October 18, 2021, 11:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
We've got a few players in the squad who are proving how versatile they are. We all know about Clifton, and now Bapaga has shown another side to him. We've got left backs who can potentially play left wing too remember (so Revan could play in front of Crookes, potentially).

I'm happy with who we have in the centre of the park. It's just so well balanced throughout. If Grant and Scannell were fit, would we really still be looking for that out-and-out striker than we seemed to need at the start of the season?

Poojah has covered pretty much what I was going to say on the matter. A new addition may unsettle the harmony we have in the squad and may take away more than it adds.

Given the way we're playing, I don't feel the pressing need for that striker. LJL got a bit of criticism for his finishing on Sat but we need to stop looking at him in isolation. We all know his goals-per-game ratio isn't great, but it's what we achieve as a team when he plays.

I'm not glossing over the fact that he missed a pen and should've had maybe a couple more goals, but at the end of the day he started up front, scored and played in a 5-0 win. We know his strength is his hold-up play, and bringing others into play, so as long as that's working, and the goals continue to be shared around the team, I think we can be excited by the return to fitness of Grant and Scannell and ponder how they get into a team when the likes of McAtee, Sousa and Bapaga are all firing.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Mariner Timsky
October 18, 2021, 12:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Just a bit more calmness and a little care with his finishing The Shop could of well come away from Bromsgrove with a hat - trick

Really looking forward to Saturday now and a big chance for another home win and a goal or two
Yeovil seem to be better away from home so far this season - but can Town make it 6 from 6 at home?!?

Also looking at the Top 10 a few sides play each other - so chance to pull away from other sides - all exciting stuff!

UTM

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
chaos33
October 18, 2021, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from RichMariner
We've got a few players in the squad who are proving how versatile they are. We all know about Clifton, and now Bapaga has shown another side to him. We've got left backs who can potentially play left wing too remember (so Revan could play in front of Crookes, potentially).

I'm happy with who we have in the centre of the park. It's just so well balanced throughout. If Grant and Scannell were fit, would we really still be looking for that out-and-out striker than we seemed to need at the start of the season?

Poojah has covered pretty much what I was going to say on the matter. A new addition may unsettle the harmony we have in the squad and may take away more than it adds.

Given the way we're playing, I don't feel the pressing need for that striker. LJL got a bit of criticism for his finishing on Sat but we need to stop looking at him in isolation. We all know his goals-per-game ratio isn't great, but it's what we achieve as a team when he plays.

I'm not glossing over the fact that he missed a pen and should've had maybe a couple more goals, but at the end of the day he started up front, scored and played in a 5-0 win. We know his strength is his hold-up play, and bringing others into play, so as long as that's working, and the goals continue to be shared around the team, I think we can be excited by the return to fitness of Grant and Scannell and ponder how they get into a team when the likes of McAtee, Sousa and Bapaga are all firing.

I agree but think that we could still do with another striker but, for the reasons you mention, this would be better to be more in the same bracket as Hunt, Bapaga, Revan etc ie, 18-21, with a good pedigree from a higher level but who is hungry to play and learn, rather than an older, more experienced striker with a set of expectations about wanting to be playing all the time or with a bigger ego. Just a thought.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
toontown
October 18, 2021, 12:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33

I agree but think that we could still do with another striker but, for the reasons you mention, this would be better to be more in the same bracket as Hunt, Bapaga, Revan etc ie, 18-21, with a good pedigree from a higher level but who is hungry to play and learn, rather than an older, more experienced striker with a set of expectations about wanting to be playing all the time or with a bigger ego. Just a thought.

I'd echo that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Madeleymariner
October 18, 2021, 1:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from toontown

I'd echo that

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
Madeleymariner
October 18, 2021, 1:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from toontown

I'd echo that

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goal stats

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.