AussieMariner
September 27, 2021, 10:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Bigdog

No. He's not right is he? Getting vaccinated does not stop you from catching Covid. Jabbed or not, no one is immune. Got double vaxxed myself, but if I were a fit and healthy pro-footballer I'd trust my antibodies far greater than what is a comparatively largely untested new vaccine..

Think the guy must have been watching too much US politics. Far too much disinformation and authoritarian  rhetoric over there. Same with masks too. Very little protection scientifically, but if people feel safer wearing them, even the same ones over and over again out of their pockets, who am I to judge? Freedom of choice still exists right? Especially with our own bodies..

Just out of interest BD, what do you attribute the lower death rate to? In January we were getting about 1000 deaths each day from about 50,000 daily new cases (2%). Now it’s about 100 from 25,000 cases (0.4%) despite the relaxation in lockdown rules.
I agree with you it’s definitely not down to masks, but I do wonder if the vaccination program might have had some effect, and without it maybe we wouldn’t be playing matches at all, or at least not attending them.
I also wonder if it really is just a personal choice. Agreed, a young, fit pro footballer can probably rely on his own immune system to fight off the virus, but what if he catches it and passes it on to some poor sodomist who becomes one of the 0.4%? Personally I’m not sure - it’s a bit of a moral dilemma, but I don’t think the argument is anything like as cut and dried as you suggest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 51
Bigdog
September 27, 2021, 10:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from AussieMariner

Just out of interest BD, what do you attribute the lower death rate to? In January we were getting about 1000 deaths each day from about 50,000 daily new cases (2%). Now it’s about 100 from 25,000 cases (0.4%) despite the relaxation in lockdown rules.
I agree with you it’s definitely not down to masks, but I do wonder if the vaccination program might have had some effect, and without it maybe we wouldn’t be playing matches at all, or at least not attending them.
I also wonder if it really is just a personal choice. Agreed, a young, fit pro footballer can probably rely on his own immune system to fight off the virus, but what if he catches it and passes it on to some poor sodomist who becomes one of the 0.4%? Personally I’m not sure - it’s a bit of a moral dilemma, but I don’t think the argument is anything like as cut and dried as you suggest.

Lower death rate is due to the vaccination take up in vulnerable groups. And your figures have proved my point. The vaccine has had little effect to transmission rates. If the vaccine reduced transmission, why the hell is the daily new case rate so high this summer? I think we all need to face up to the fact that we're all going to contract Covid at sometime or other. At this very early stage it looks like the vaccine is reducing hospitalisations and deaths significantly and the most vulnerable sadly lost their lives last year..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 51
Mariner93er
September 27, 2021, 11:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Bigdog

Lower death rate is due to the vaccination take up in vulnerable groups. And your figures have proved my point. The vaccine has had little effect to transmission rates. If the vaccine reduced transmission, why the hell is the daily new case rate so high this summer? I think we all need to face up to the fact that we're all going to contract Covid at sometime or other. At this very early stage it looks like the vaccine is reducing hospitalisations and deaths significantly and the most vulnerable sadly lost their lives last year..

It clearly does reduce transmission. The current 7-day average is less than half of what it was during the second wave when jabs were just starting. That was also a period when we were in lockdown too, compared to now when we have full football stadiums, people in nightclubs etc. If it didn’t reduce transmission, the rates would be reaching peak levels.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 51
blundellpork
September 27, 2021, 11:11am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
The vaccination will have contributed to lower transmission, but it appears to be less effective here than initial trials, largely due to the Delta variant. Fortunately it appears more successful at reducing serious illness and death.

I had incorrectly assumed daily infections would drop to low 000’s, rather than stick at 30-40,000, so looks like it will be around for a long time yet, and more likely that we will all end up catching it.

Hopefully by then the science will have improved further, and new means of treating those seriously affected will have been found.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 51
ska face
September 27, 2021, 11:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,740
Gold Stars: 851
It’s not about contracting it, it’s about the regulations being different for those with two jabs.

Please.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 51
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2021, 11:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.55
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,302
Gold Stars: 307
What do you all think about players taking the knee?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 51
ska face
September 27, 2021, 11:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,740
Gold Stars: 851
I saw a player taking the knee (good) to fill up a jerry can (bad) this weekend. May have been to fill his car up to go get a jab (good), but contributing to climate breakdown (bad).

There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen. What week is it? Which year is it?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 51
HertsGTFC
September 27, 2021, 11:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

he's anti vax and always going on about conspiracy's and 5G masts etc

He’s anti playing football this season...... wage stealing lazy c**t 🤬

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 51
ginnywings
September 27, 2021, 12:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face
It’s not about contracting it, it’s about the regulations being different for those with two jabs.

Please.

This.

We can argue all day about covid and its effects. Whether the jab does or does not reduce transmission and/or deaths. Whether herd immunity and the natural progression of the disease is waning over time, but the issue is that if you are double jabbed and negative, you can go about your daily business.

You may not agree with those rules, but that is irrelevant in this case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 51
Kris2
September 27, 2021, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid

he's anti vax and always going on about conspiracy's and 5G masts etc

Probably the first player I can think of here that a manager froze out the squad for being a nutjob.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Woking Boss Rant

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.