3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
June 15, 2021, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,605
Gold Stars: 538
When Scotland lose possession, they're 30 yards out from the Czech goal.  The deepest Scottish players are 5 yards into the Czech half.  There's two Czech players just a little deeper but miles away from the nearest Scottish player. (look here - about 45 seconds in - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57475435).

38 minutes left of time to play at 1-0 down.  I'd be asking more questions about why Scotland's defence left two Czech players in so much space for the counter attack than over Marshall's positioning.  If the left side of the Scottish defence covers the lad moving forward, that counter doesn't happen and the shot never gets hit.

Hell of a shot though, basically gave himself a tiny area to hit to stop Marshall reaching it.  Sometimes you've got to just accept quality.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 15, 2021, 2:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from diehardmariner
When Scotland lose possession, they're 30 yards out from the Czech goal.  The deepest Scottish players are 5 yards into the Czech half.  There's two Czech players just a little deeper but miles away from the nearest Scottish player. (look here - about 45 seconds in - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/57475435).

38 minutes left of time to play at 1-0 down.  I'd be asking more questions about why Scotland's defence left two Czech players in so much space for the counter attack than over Marshall's positioning.  If the left side of the Scottish defence covers the lad moving forward, that counter doesn't happen and the shot never gets hit.

Hell of a shot though, basically gave himself a tiny area to hit to stop Marshall reaching it.  Sometimes you've got to just accept quality.

Yep, there's not much you can do against a shot like that. The Scots were a little unlucky in the way the ball ricochets off the defender when their attack broke down and falls straight to a man in space.

If they leave that kind of space against Sancho, Bellingham, Sterling, Foden etc they will get torn apart by England.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
jamesgtfc
June 15, 2021, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
I think Czech Republic were the better team. The very few chances Scotland did have, lady luck was with Czech Republic.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 15, 2021, 2:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think Czech Republic were the better team. The very few chances Scotland did have, lady luck was with Czech Republic.

I don't want to offend anybody who's Scottish on here or start an argument but isn't this what we always hear from Scotland? This is supposedly their best team in years, they genuinely felt they could do well and this game was a potentially decent start for them. What we got was a poor to fair defensive performance and strikers (and a captain) who couldn't hit a cow's a*se with a banjo. They now have to play the 2 stronger teams in the group and have to get results - if it wasn't for the passion and 'auld enemy' stuff I wouldn't give them a hope in hell against England and Croatia cannot be as lacklustre against Scotland as they were against England.

They look like a classic Scottish team - a handful of genuinely decent international players and then a bunch of journeymen. I've said elsewhere, I doubt that QPR's striker is giving John Stones et al sleepless nights.

If Scotland had even half the luck that has supposedly deserted them in the last 50 years they'd have won the world cup 6 times over.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 15, 2021, 2:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553

I don't want to offend anybody who's Scottish on here or start an argument but isn't this what we always hear from Scotland? This is supposedly their best team in years, they genuinely felt they could do well and this game was a potentially decent start for them. What we got was a poor to fair defensive performance and strikers (and a captain) who couldn't hit a cow's a*se with a banjo. They now have to play the 2 stronger teams in the group and have to get results - if it wasn't for the passion and 'auld enemy' stuff I wouldn't give them a hope in hell against England and Croatia cannot be as lacklustre against Scotland as they were against England.

They look like a classic Scottish team - a handful of genuinely decent international players and then a bunch of journeymen. I've said elsewhere, I doubt that QPR's striker is giving John Stones et al sleepless nights.

If Scotland had even half the luck that has supposedly deserted them in the last 50 years they'd have won the world cup 6 times over.

I actually fancied Scotland to get through the group. They still might. But hopefully not.

The occasion definitely got to them though. The Scottish media describing it as ‘must win’ didn’t help.

Andy Robertson was pumped up like a Strathclyde séx doll and was in full on Merseyside derby mode. I think it was Coufal he hacked down in the second half, when Coufal was about 5 yards away from the ball. Not sure how he didn’t get booked at any point.

They certainly missed Tierney.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Czech Republic Second Goal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.