Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 98 Guests

Pollock

This thread currently has 32,357 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
May 27, 2021, 10:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Great news for Mattie and good luck to him for the future.

Kudos for Woods and his team that we have players at the club who are attracting attention from above. Must be a good selling point when attracting young players in the future.

As for spending the windfall on the squad; are there any restrictions in the National League like FFP or salary caps?

Not au fait with non league. Thought we'd never end up back there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 180
gtfc_akpa_akpro
May 27, 2021, 10:22pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The other thing about Pollock’s case is that he didn’t make it at a big club (Leeds) let alone get scooped up into a premier league club’s academy. But he’s ended up on a pro contract at a premier league club by coming to Grimsby. A similar trajectory to Ryan Bennett. That’s got to be a great selling point for our youth team.

My understanding was Bennett chose to come to us to play first team football instead of playing youth games. Benefitted him in the long run I’d say.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 180
toontown
May 27, 2021, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
Great news for Mattie and good luck to him for the future.

Kudos for Woods and his team that we have players at the club who are attracting attention from above. Must be a good selling point when attracting young players in the future.

As for spending the windfall on the squad; are there any restrictions in the National League like FFP or salary caps?

Not au fait with non league. Thought we'd never end up back there.

Am pretty certain there are no salary caps, and that was ruled illegal for EFL clubs anyway.

Not sure about financial fair play rules determining you can only spend a percentage of your income on wages tho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 11:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

My understanding was Bennett chose to come to us to play first team football instead of playing youth games. Benefitted him in the long run I’d say.

Started in the youth team didn’t he? His aspiration may have been first team.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 180
diehardmariner
May 28, 2021, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,857
Gold Stars: 549
Quoted from Poojah
I must admit, when the story began to emerge yesterday the figure of £100k just didn't seem right. Assuming we have some healthy add-ons, I feel much better about it than I did yesterday.

Short of an auction between prospective suitors, we of course lost leverage when we dropped out of the league whilst he also he only had one year to run on his contract - I would have had little expectation of any tribunal cutting us a fair deal.

To put this into context, I think this is the third largest initial transfer fee we have received for a player since we sold Jack Lester over 20 years ago (Christ, that makes me feel old). Only Bogle and Bennett have gone for more. It's also almost 1.5x the impressive amount raised by Operation Promotion back in 2015, and it will go a long way in the National League on top of the £100k already received from Peterborough and next season's parachute money. Oh, and of course, no benign loan repayments!

Things are looking up. We just need Dembele to get his arsé in gear, be a good boy now, Siriki...

Think we got £350k for Ashcroft a few months after the Lester sale. Either way it's staggering that we've really had so few sales in the last 20 years.  After the sales of both Ashcroft and Lester in 2000, I'm struggling to think of more than seven we've actually sold since.  Bennett, Connell, Bogle, Dembele then Barlow and Burrell and of course now Pollock.  Surely more?
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 180
devs
May 28, 2021, 12:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
All of the extra cash mentioned in posts must surely mean a far better war chest for PH?
Plus GTFC will be one of main draw non league clubs for prospective signings - new owners; new pitches; better training facilities; 4000 crowds (?); PH won promotion before etc etc

Could tip the balance when we are competing for 'better' players?

Looking good...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 180
Les Brechin
May 28, 2021, 12:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,736
Gold Stars: 174
Didn't we have his older brother on trial a few years back.

Sure I can remember him scoring for us in a pre-season friendly.

I wonder what happend to him as I've not heard about him since.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 180
RonMariner
May 28, 2021, 1:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,942
Gold Stars: 233
With £350k in the tin already from Pollock and Dembele, and possibly more if Dembele moves, we could be sitting pretty.

During our last spell down there  Fleetwood, Crawley and Luton basically bought their way out via the top spot. Trouble is that they had to spend a million or more on players to do it.

Still, with Hurst committed to bringing in almost an entire new squad we should have the funds to attract some real quality.

Pay them and they will come.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 180
Poojah
May 28, 2021, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,102
Gold Stars: 1,548
Quoted from diehardmariner

Think we got £350k for Ashcroft a few months after the Lester sale. Either way it's staggering that we've really had so few sales in the last 20 years.  After the sales of both Ashcroft and Lester in 2000, I'm struggling to think of more than seven we've actually sold since.  Bennett, Connell, Bogle, Dembele then Barlow and Burrell and of course now Pollock.  Surely more?

We got some money back for Sam Jones, didn't we? Still, it doesn't change the complexion of your point - the conveyor belt at our talent factory has been barely operational since the turn of the millennium.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 180
Brazilnut
May 28, 2021, 1:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
Didn't we pay money to Watford for Jimmy Gillian or someone like that ?

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 180
19 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.