Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 124 Guests

Pollock

This thread currently has 32,358 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
May 27, 2021, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,432
Gold Stars: 56
Good luck to the lad he can play he is brave as a Lion and like many others my main reserve is his lack of pace.At 19 I would expect him to get better especially training and playing with better players and his reading of the game will improve . The fee is probably about par and I wish him every future success and in turn hope the transfer fee goes into PH warchest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 180
TonySmith
May 27, 2021, 7:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +1,010
Gold Stars: 13
  I think every penny that can reasonably be given to Paul Hurst to create hopefully a promotion winning squad is the most important use of money. He is a good judge of a player and that needs to be backed. Money is what will lure the best possible players who are willing to play non-league football. If we can't at least match the financial offers of the teams who will be our rivals then we will miss out. Yes, good facilities are important but at the end of the day, this club needs to be in the football league and the only people who can bring that about are the management team and the players on the field. I doubt it's anyone's long term ambition to have the best facilities in non-league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 7:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good luck to Mattie.

(God that shirt is awful. What were they thinking of?)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 180
1mickylyons
May 27, 2021, 8:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,432
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from TonySmith
  I think every penny that can reasonably be given to Paul Hurst to create hopefully a promotion winning squad is the most important use of money. He is a good judge of a player and that needs to be backed. Money is what will lure the best possible players who are willing to play non-league football. If we can't at least match the financial offers of the teams who will be our rivals then we will miss out. Yes, good facilities are important but at the end of the day, this club needs to be in the football league and the only people who can bring that about are the management team and the players on the field. I doubt it's anyone's long term ambition to have the best facilities in non-league football.

I think given the feelgood factor around GTFC at the moment PH will have a very competitive budget and any kind of decent start will see home gates of over 4k. Whilst not wanting to heap pressure on him or the team I would think it fair to expect us to mount a Play Off/Promotion challenge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 180
toontown
May 27, 2021, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Brilliant news for Mattie and a nice shot in the arm for our budget, a five year deal gives him the absolute best chance of making it too. He was a cool head as a teenager in hectic league 2 games against professionals so he is going to be completely  unflappable in the world of u23 no crowd tippy tappy matches.

Good luck mattie!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 180
Abdul19
May 27, 2021, 8:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 220
Great move for him, good luck!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 180
acko338
May 27, 2021, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Good business all round - young player comes through the ranks and earns higher level transfer on a long deal.

Grimsby Youth development gains kudos from nurturing young talent - scouts can state this when asking lads to sign.

Advertise that this is the better route into first team playing and being seen by higher level scouts.

Players will work harder in their youth time to gain a contract.

First team gets more local grown talent to get behind as one of their own, and we start a hopeful conveyor belt of home grown professionals with ingrown GTFC loyalty.

Remember the Moores , Drinkell , Lumby, Ford,  Bennett all being brought through to first team status.

Then, if good enough to play higher, Town win again and earn a transfer fee.

Youth development ?? Win, win !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 180
KingstonMariner
May 27, 2021, 9:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The other thing about Pollock’s case is that he didn’t make it at a big club (Leeds) let alone get scooped up into a premier league club’s academy. But he’s ended up on a pro contract at a premier league club by coming to Grimsby. A similar trajectory to Ryan Bennett. That’s got to be a great selling point for our youth team.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 180
Limerick Mariner
May 27, 2021, 9:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,806
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from acko338
Good business all round - young player comes through the ranks and earns higher level transfer on a long deal.

Grimsby Youth development gains kudos from nurturing young talent - scouts can state this when asking lads to sign.

Advertise that this is the better route into first team playing and being seen by higher level scouts.

Players will work harder in their youth time to gain a contract.

First team gets more local grown talent to get behind as one of their own, and we start a hopeful conveyor belt of home grown professionals with ingrown GTFC loyalty.

Remember the Moores , Drinkell , Lumby, Ford,  Bennett all being brought through to first team status.

Then, if good enough to play higher, Town win again and earn a transfer fee.

Youth development ?? Win, win !!

Is that like the Blackadder Goes Forth scene when he's trying to catch the spy and refers to great British Universities - Oxford, Cambridge and Hull...

I think Lumby did more for Scunthorpe than Town - pretty sure he scored against us on a Friday night at the OSG

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 180
HertsGTFC
May 27, 2021, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,135
Gold Stars: 241
Good news all round I think for the player and the club. Cleary as he finished near the top of our goal scoring charts last season he caught there eye.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 180
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.