Private Message
Son of Cod
May 13, 2021, 3:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,310
Gold Stars: 196
After all the anger from the likes of G-Nev and Rio about the ESL and the inequalities of financial muscle in football, I'm really excited to hear their input on this as Man Utd seek to use EPPP to get Grist off us for £750 and a bag of training tops from two seasons ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
diehardmariner
May 13, 2021, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +16,981
Gold Stars: 516
Purely from a business perspective, you can see exactly why the likes of Brentford scrapped their youth set-ups.

There's something special about seeing your home grown talent in the starting eleven.  But it really does beg the question as to why bother when anyone with a slight bit of talent is hoovered up at 16 by the bigger clubs.

Especially when there is such a recruitment ground to go at for those deemed not good enough by those bigger clubs at the age of 20/21.  No development costs with them, or minimal anyway, further along their own development line and ultimately less costs involved.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 13, 2021, 3:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,890
Gold Stars: 280
1. That website gave me a headache with all the ads and the articles flying in from the sides
2. The Mail even gets Brexit into an article about a 16 year old footballer from Grimsby!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
RichMariner
May 13, 2021, 3:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,108
Gold Stars: 204
"...looking to secure his sources."

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
devs
May 13, 2021, 4:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,958
Gold Stars: 30
So how much will GTFC get for him then?
I assume there might be add ons etc if he makes first team, gets sold for £125m!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
forza ivano
May 13, 2021, 4:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,108
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from devs
So how much will GTFC get for him then?
I assume there might be add ons etc if he makes first team, gets sold for £125m!

b.ugger all unfortunately. think the paltry amount was worked out on a previous thread
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
gtfc_akpa_akpro
May 13, 2021, 4:33pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
What do we actually know about Ben Grist? Is he as good as everyone seems to rave about? Is there any footage of him? Or is he another enigma built up from the Holloway regime?

If Grist really is that good, should there have been an argument to see him playing for the first team? Messi, Rooney played 1st team at 16. I know the comparison is very wild but surely if he’s commanding the attention of the clubs in that article he’d have been better than some of the dogger we had this season. Please don’t misinterpret this, I understand the ideas around development etc, I am just genuinely interested to know the answers to some of these questions. We all love nothing more than a local legend.

And what about that other lad Boyd who popped one in from 25 yards a minute after coming on? Is he considered as being any good?

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
May 13, 2021, 4:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
That page sums it all up for me.

A picture of the managers, and then a google picture of the town gates.

He's 'apparently' been around our first team since 15 years old??
Has he even been on the bench for a league game?

No picture of the young lad
No research done what so ever, just a story about premiership clubs, nothing to do with Ben himself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
MuddyWaters
May 13, 2021, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro
What do we actually know about Ben Grist? Is he as good as everyone seems to rave about? Is there any footage of him? Or is he another enigma built up from the Holloway regime?

If Grist really is that good, should there have been an argument to see him playing for the first team? Messi, Rooney played 1st team at 16. I know the comparison is very wild but surely if he’s commanding the attention of the clubs in that article he’d have been better than some of the dogger we had this season. Please don’t misinterpret this, I understand the ideas around development etc, I am just genuinely interested to know the answers to some of these questions. We all love nothing more than a local legend.

And what about that other lad Boyd who popped one in from 25 yards a minute after coming on? Is he considered as being any good?

I know his family quite well and understand that he's been injured quite a bit this season. He's been in the youth set up since very young (lives at Little Cawthorpe) and is apparently a real talent.

Regarding Boyd, I believe I read that he's going to Celtic.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ben Grist latest

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.