Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 13, 2021, 3:16pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9571771/Leicester-City-set-beat-Manchester-United-race-sign-Grimsby-Town-starlet-Ben-Grist.html
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 13, 2021, 3:20pm; Reply: 1
After all the anger from the likes of G-Nev and Rio about the ESL and the inequalities of financial muscle in football, I'm really excited to hear their input on this as Man Utd seek to use EPPP to get Grist off us for £750 and a bag of training tops from two seasons ago.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 13, 2021, 3:27pm; Reply: 2
Purely from a business perspective, you can see exactly why the likes of Brentford scrapped their youth set-ups.

There's something special about seeing your home grown talent in the starting eleven.  But it really does beg the question as to why bother when anyone with a slight bit of talent is hoovered up at 16 by the bigger clubs.

Especially when there is such a recruitment ground to go at for those deemed not good enough by those bigger clubs at the age of 20/21.  No development costs with them, or minimal anyway, further along their own development line and ultimately less costs involved.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 13, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 3
1. That website gave me a headache with all the ads and the articles flying in from the sides
2. The Mail even gets Brexit into an article about a 16 year old footballer from Grimsby!
Posted by: RichMariner, May 13, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 4
"...looking to secure his sources."
Posted by: devs, May 13, 2021, 4:00pm; Reply: 5
So how much will GTFC get for him then?
I assume there might be add ons etc if he makes first team, gets sold for £125m!
Posted by: forza ivano, May 13, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from devs
So how much will GTFC get for him then?
I assume there might be add ons etc if he makes first team, gets sold for £125m!

b.ugger all unfortunately. think the paltry amount was worked out on a previous thread
Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, May 13, 2021, 4:33pm; Reply: 7
What do we actually know about Ben Grist? Is he as good as everyone seems to rave about? Is there any footage of him? Or is he another enigma built up from the Holloway regime?

If Grist really is that good, should there have been an argument to see him playing for the first team? Messi, Rooney played 1st team at 16. I know the comparison is very wild but surely if he’s commanding the attention of the clubs in that article he’d have been better than some of the dogger we had this season. Please don’t misinterpret this, I understand the ideas around development etc, I am just genuinely interested to know the answers to some of these questions. We all love nothing more than a local legend.

And what about that other lad Boyd who popped one in from 25 yards a minute after coming on? Is he considered as being any good?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 13, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 8
That page sums it all up for me.

A picture of the managers, and then a google picture of the town gates.

He's 'apparently' been around our first team since 15 years old??
Has he even been on the bench for a league game?

No picture of the young lad
No research done what so ever, just a story about premiership clubs, nothing to do with Ben himself
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 13, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro
What do we actually know about Ben Grist? Is he as good as everyone seems to rave about? Is there any footage of him? Or is he another enigma built up from the Holloway regime?

If Grist really is that good, should there have been an argument to see him playing for the first team? Messi, Rooney played 1st team at 16. I know the comparison is very wild but surely if he’s commanding the attention of the clubs in that article he’d have been better than some of the dogger we had this season. Please don’t misinterpret this, I understand the ideas around development etc, I am just genuinely interested to know the answers to some of these questions. We all love nothing more than a local legend.

And what about that other lad Boyd who popped one in from 25 yards a minute after coming on? Is he considered as being any good?

I know his family quite well and understand that he's been injured quite a bit this season. He's been in the youth set up since very young (lives at Little Cawthorpe) and is apparently a real talent.

Regarding Boyd, I believe I read that he's going to Celtic.
Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, May 13, 2021, 8:00pm; Reply: 10
It’s sad to see such articles as I can’t imagine what it does to the mind of a young player.

Nonetheless, I really hope both lads have the world at their feet as suggested because let’s face it, we’d all love to play football at the highest level possible. Good luck.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 11, 2021, 3:33pm; Reply: 11
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-manchester-united-close-to-beating-leicester-to-grist-signing-after-breakthrough/?fbclid=IwAR0INIpKFA4RLH5_TToe3GNwTOZcMVjLMEIJyGWee3GuJmCFd1_CdtIMYss

don't know how reliable a source this , but £500,000 would be okay!
Posted by: ska face, June 11, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

Think that’s the site that called Mcatee earlier in the week and appears to be one of the better websites of that kind.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 11, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 13
I imagine there will be add-ons. It's becoming increasingly difficult to say what a deal is worth nowadays when the upfront fees could be small but the clauses could earn you big money.

Having said that, half a million quid for someone who's never appeared for the club... as much as I'd love us to blood young local talent, and as much as I hate to see big clubs hoovering up young talent, we have to accept our place in the food chain, and under this ownership I'm 100% certain that money would be reinvested into the club and not to pay off a debt that a director's pipe dream originally cost us.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 11, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 14
Bit better than 25k that. This part of the article made me laugh...

"The teenager first caught the eye after being named on the bench for Grimsby’s EFL Trophy clash with Harrogate Town last September."
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 11, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 15
JSF would have taken £10K and an extra £10K if he played over 100 games in the next three season for United's first team!

Oh, forgot the £10K to buy out a 25% sell on clause.

Might be able to pay his BENIGE loans off quicker.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 11, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 16
How does EPPP work if they have to fork out 500k? I thought the point of that was so they could hoover up for peanuts?
Posted by: DB, June 11, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
JSF would have taken £10K and an extra £10K if he played over 100 games in the next three season for United's first team!

Oh, forgot the £10K to buy out a 25% sell on clause.

Might be able to pay his BENIGE loans off quicker.

Having read the latest Cod Almighty report it might be likely £500k could have gone into a pension fund!
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 11, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
How does EPPP work if they have to fork out 500k? I thought the point of that was so they could hoover up for peanuts?

Increased domestic youth budget due to not being able to bring in EU under 18s now? Definitely not saying that's it, but it could be a factor and they could just be trying to get us to do a deal quicker and get Leicester out the picture. Is EPPP done through a tribunal fee? If so and they can bypass that and just get us to accept 500k then it kind of makes sense?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 11, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 19

Grist to Leicester is old news, this story broke about a month ago.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2021, 7:18pm; Reply: 20
You’d hope that they might actually stick something in there like a pre-season friendly or make a game for macca’s testimonial.

I hope the lad enjoys it though, wherever he ends up. There’s too many players that spiral out of control after seeing the ‘big city lights’ and being on £10k a month at 17
Posted by: Lincspoacher, June 11, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 21
It’s circa £200k and lots of addons for those interested that could make it a lot more if he plays for England etc
Posted by: forza ivano, June 12, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Lincspoacher
It’s circa £200k and lots of addons for those interested that could make it a lot more if he plays for England etc

Source/sauce/sorss please
Posted by: Biccys, June 12, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know his family quite well and understand that he's been injured quite a bit this season. He's been in the youth set up since very young (lives at Little Cawthorpe) and is apparently a real talent.

Regarding Boyd, I believe I read that he's going to Celtic.

I used to play with his dad Adam, at school. He was a decent player tbh so if he's got any of his dad's ability and some good work ethic he'll be decent.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 12, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Blimey. If true we have racked in £550k this summer from Grist, Dembele, and Pollock.

Surely we can now afford buy several very decent players.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 12, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RonMariner

Blimey. If true we have racked in £550k this summer from Grist, Dembele, and Pollock.

Surely we can now afford buy several very decent players.

Let’s hope we buy all the best players from the top non league teams. Sneaky tactics x.
Posted by: Lincspoacher, June 12, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Biccys

I used to play with his dad Adam, at school. He was a decent player tbh so if he's got any of his dad's ability and some good work ethic he'll be decent.

😄😄 He looks like Razor Ruddocl now!

Nice guy tho
Posted by: Saudimariner, June 12, 2021, 9:00pm; Reply: 27
If Rotherham bought him, the Telegraph headlines would read "Grist to the Millers" - I'll get me coat
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, June 12, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 28
Calm down soft lads - 500k eh! - if the lad has potential maybe £50k in compensation max.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 13, 2021, 12:13am; Reply: 29
Does sound a lot when we got £250 for someone who’d actually played professionally for 80 games. But I wouldn’t be complaining.

Should imagine regarding the EPPP* thing that the tribunal approach only applies if there’s only one actively interested party.

* Elite Player Pinching Protocol
Posted by: SheepGTFC, June 13, 2021, 4:05am; Reply: 30
said this before, but i am so proud and impressed with our academy given our resources. in recent years we have a become a good club for youth development. long may it continue, long term it will benefit us greatly
Posted by: Biccys, June 14, 2021, 1:18pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Lincspoacher

😄😄 He looks like Razor Ruddocl now!

Nice guy tho

Bit harsh! I was thinking more a well nourished Ronnie O'Sullivan....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 14, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Biccys

Bit harsh! I was thinking more a well nourished Ronnie O'Sullivan....

I thought it was extremely harsh. I’m not sure Razor can walk to a pub for a start.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 16, 2021, 3:15pm; Reply: 33
Matt dannatt on Twitter confirming hes signed for Leicester. More money in the coffers for a player who never even the made the first team.luvverly jubberly
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 16, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
Matt dannatt on Twitter confirming hes signed for Leicester. More money in the coffers for a player who never even the made the first team.luvverly jubberly

That’s after the majority shareholder has taken his cu……….

😃
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 16, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 35
I also like the comment about first spotted on the Grimsby bench (as a non-playing sub) against Harrogate.

Imagine his value if he asked kicked a ball for the first-team.  

Now there might be add-ons if he ever plays for England - when he has not even played for Town!!

Assuming he does go to Leicester then it is easier to get to for family etc.  And he is at a club where he is more likely to flourish than lost in the Man United machine.  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 16, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

That’s after the majority shareholder has taken his cu……….

😃

Look at the money we've earned this summer. I bet he's kicking himself as he could have swiped a good portion of his loan back!
Posted by: pen penfras, July 16, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Look at the money we've earned this summer. I bet he's kicking himself as he could have swiped a good portion of his loan back!

He's getting it back, and quicker than he would have by staying involved...
Posted by: aldi_01, July 16, 2021, 5:34pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from pen penfras

Getting money back that he never really put in…plus 200k that wasn’t his…can’t be flipping bad.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 16, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from pen penfras

How does he sleep at night PP?

Posted by: Posh Harry, July 16, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from forza ivano

Is there any money involved? Not seen anything mentioned and at his age can’t imagine it will be much.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 17, 2021, 10:22am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Posh Harry

Is there any money involved? Not seen anything mentioned and at his age can’t imagine it will be much.

well, we are hardly going to give him away are we? ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 17, 2021, 10:33am; Reply: 42
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't think we have much choice in the matter at his age do we?
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 17, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 43
Quoted from forza ivano

Have a look at the EPPP and come back to me
Posted by: forza ivano, July 18, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 44
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-beat-manchester-united-5648660?fbclid=IwAR2WGEmBd6LbBVodi5ortUy_gweQCE3oNTFtnOi-rD2cQVfmfE3f1foHKa8

leicester mercury confirming the deal
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 18, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 45
Had a look at the EPPP stuff & can't find any indication of the sort  of compensation we may expect for a 16 year old from a Premier League Club?
Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, July 18, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from pontoonlew

Have a look at the EPPP and come back to me

Why don’t you explain EPPP to those that don’t know instead of being an arrogant twerp
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 18, 2021, 4:14pm; Reply: 47
Have to agree it was a bit of a smart behind reply from lew to forza's comment.
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, July 18, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 48
The rules are basically we should be compensated for developing a player so will be based really on the time we have had him on a rising scale. That doesn't amount to a lot for a player like this with a good potential market value but is designed to protect the interests of clubs generally. I'm not sure what he would be valued at in this circumstance however big clubs may give a sell on or insert some clauses just in the spirit of fair play. We definitely won't be awarded 200k unless Leicester are happy paying it.
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 18, 2021, 4:30pm; Reply: 49
It's a total sham of a policy that Premier League clubs and the FA forced through by effectively blackmailing clubs lower down by threatening to withdraw funding if EFL clubs didn't agree to it. It essentially means it's much easier for bigger clubs to poach youngsters for pittance. The lower category of academy a smaller club has the less likely they are to get a decent fee.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, July 18, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 50
I think fifa should force prem clubs to insert a Standard 20% sell on clause into any contract signed from lower league players. Especially under 18s.

Although this wouldn't combat the unfairness behind player poaching at lower levels, it would at least allow clubs to benefit from it. There has been occasions in which a prem clubs poaches league 2 or non league players, loan them straight out and sell them on the next year... basically manipulating and absuing the market and lower league teams

Disgusting really.
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 18, 2021, 5:29pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

Why don’t you explain EPPP to those that don’t know instead of being an arrogant twerp

The tone of the reply was more in reference to my displeasure at the EPPP and not Forza, feel free to keep crying on his behalf though
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 18, 2021, 10:31pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Son of Cod
It's a total sham of a policy that Premier League clubs and the FA forced through by effectively blackmailing clubs lower down by threatening to withdraw funding if EFL clubs didn't agree to it. It essentially means it's much easier for bigger clubs to poach youngsters for pittance. The lower category of academy a smaller club has the less likely they are to get a decent fee.

Come off it. Are you saying that all the premier league clubs have that much money that they would try to swindle the lower league teams
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 19, 2021, 12:30am; Reply: 53
Does the fact that we are no longer an EFL club change anything? Has the NL and lower got a different agreement with higher leagues or are they free to negotiate?
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 19, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 54
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Come off it. Are you saying that all the premier league clubs have that much money that they would try to swindle the lower league teams

Genuinely not sure if you're being serious here or not?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 19, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Son of Cod

Genuinely not sure if you're being serious here or not?

I doubt it
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 3:25pm