2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
prestonmariner
May 11, 2021, 9:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
Another good article on Dean Henderson's rise to the top.

A decent little section in the article too about his time with us, with some quotes from Bignot;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56996075

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner93er
May 11, 2021, 9:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Thought he left because of an incident with Bignot or was that a myth? Apparently Henderson sent him a shirt recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
dapperz fun pub
May 11, 2021, 9:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 83
When he first came to us watching him warm up and the intensity involved it was obvious he was different stuff to a league 2 keeper
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
diehardmariner
May 11, 2021, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Definitely the rumour that did the rounds was a fall out between Bignot and Henderson.

For me Henderson should be the absolute shoe-in for that England jersey in the Euros.  I know Southgate likes Pickford but he's too error prone for me and is quite poor at the basics.  I think it's his distribution that Southgate likes, wanting his sides to play out from the back, but even that looks suspect now.  Regardless, it's no good playing out from the back if you can't stop basic shots.  Henderson on the other hand is just a very, very good all-round goalkeeper.  His distribution is as good as Pickford's, he commands his area, is quick off his line and is great at the basics.  The litmus test for me on a goalkeeper is how far up his defence will play.  Within 10 minutes of his debut here, our backline stepped up 10 yards.  He ordered them to do so and they responded.  He did the same at Shrewsbury, Sheffield United and now at Man Utd too.  Pickford doesn't get that level of respect or trust from his defenders.

Pope is a decent enough goalkeeper but if Southgate genuinely wants his sides to play out from the back, he shouldn't be anywhere near the side on that alone.  His footwork is very poor.  If he plays it completely changes the way England have to play.  Might get away with it against lesser sides in qualifiers and friendlies, but when it counts he'll be caught out.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
prestonmariner
May 11, 2021, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from diehardmariner
The litmus test for me on a goalkeeper is how far up his defence will play.  Within 10 minutes of his debut here, our backline stepped up 10 yards.  He ordered them to do so and they responded.  He did the same at Shrewsbury, Sheffield United and now at Man Utd too.  Pickford doesn't get that level of respect or trust from his defenders..

Some really good points Diehard, but this is the big one for me. As someone who used to play in net, and coach keepers, the outfield team's confidence in their keeper can almost be felt in the atmosphere.
I also completely agree that Henderson should be starting for England this summer, but unfortunately i don't think Southgate will play him. Pope playing in the last round of international fixtures confirmed that for me.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
golfer
May 11, 2021, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 116
Could it have been the experience he gained from Macca during his stay here that made him what he is ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2021, 3:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
Could it have been the experience he gained from Macca during his stay here that made him what he is ?

Interpretations of the rumour added a whole new meaning to the words ‘goalkeeper’ and ‘coach’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
dapperz fun pub
May 11, 2021, 4:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from golfer

He definitely gained some experience in the opposite sex department  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
moosey_club
May 11, 2021, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,288
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

He definitely gained some experience in the opposite sex department  

Good job his time was well after the bags ball era

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
EY Mariner
May 11, 2021, 7:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
When he first came to us watching him warm up and the intensity involved it was obvious he was different stuff to a league 2 keeper

Henderson reminded me a lot of when Joe Hart came up against us when he was playing for Shrewsbury. They're the only two that I've seen as young players in lower league football who gave you the confidence they would go to the top. If he isn't England's starting goalkeeper at the European Championship, he should be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Rise and Rise of Dean Henderson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.