Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: prestonmariner, May 11, 2021, 9:27am
Another good article on Dean Henderson's rise to the top.

A decent little section in the article too about his time with us, with some quotes from Bignot;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56996075
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 11, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 1
Thought he left because of an incident with Bignot or was that a myth? Apparently Henderson sent him a shirt recently.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 11, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 2
When he first came to us watching him warm up and the intensity involved it was obvious he was different stuff to a league 2 keeper
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 11, 2021, 10:58am; Reply: 3
Definitely the rumour that did the rounds was a fall out between Bignot and Henderson.

For me Henderson should be the absolute shoe-in for that England jersey in the Euros.  I know Southgate likes Pickford but he's too error prone for me and is quite poor at the basics.  I think it's his distribution that Southgate likes, wanting his sides to play out from the back, but even that looks suspect now.  Regardless, it's no good playing out from the back if you can't stop basic shots.  Henderson on the other hand is just a very, very good all-round goalkeeper.  His distribution is as good as Pickford's, he commands his area, is quick off his line and is great at the basics.  The litmus test for me on a goalkeeper is how far up his defence will play.  Within 10 minutes of his debut here, our backline stepped up 10 yards.  He ordered them to do so and they responded.  He did the same at Shrewsbury, Sheffield United and now at Man Utd too.  Pickford doesn't get that level of respect or trust from his defenders.

Pope is a decent enough goalkeeper but if Southgate genuinely wants his sides to play out from the back, he shouldn't be anywhere near the side on that alone.  His footwork is very poor.  If he plays it completely changes the way England have to play.  Might get away with it against lesser sides in qualifiers and friendlies, but when it counts he'll be caught out.
Posted by: prestonmariner, May 11, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner
The litmus test for me on a goalkeeper is how far up his defence will play.  Within 10 minutes of his debut here, our backline stepped up 10 yards.  He ordered them to do so and they responded.  He did the same at Shrewsbury, Sheffield United and now at Man Utd too.  Pickford doesn't get that level of respect or trust from his defenders..

Some really good points Diehard, but this is the big one for me. As someone who used to play in net, and coach keepers, the outfield team's confidence in their keeper can almost be felt in the atmosphere.
I also completely agree that Henderson should be starting for England this summer, but unfortunately i don't think Southgate will play him. Pope playing in the last round of international fixtures confirmed that for me.

Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 5
Could it have been the experience he gained from Macca during his stay here that made him what he is ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 11, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from golfer
Could it have been the experience he gained from Macca during his stay here that made him what he is ?

Interpretations of the rumour added a whole new meaning to the words ‘goalkeeper’ and ‘coach’.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 11, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from golfer

He definitely gained some experience in the opposite sex department  
Posted by: moosey_club, May 11, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

He definitely gained some experience in the opposite sex department  

Good job his time was well after the bags ball era
Posted by: EY Mariner, May 11, 2021, 7:52pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
When he first came to us watching him warm up and the intensity involved it was obvious he was different stuff to a league 2 keeper

Henderson reminded me a lot of when Joe Hart came up against us when he was playing for Shrewsbury. They're the only two that I've seen as young players in lower league football who gave you the confidence they would go to the top. If he isn't England's starting goalkeeper at the European Championship, he should be.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 11, 2021, 8:09pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club

Good job his time was well after the bags ball era

Great times them Wednesday nights what a ridiculous decision to demolish the gardens , but regarding Hendo he left the town with a few enemies I can assure you
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 11, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 11
Has he contributed to the goalkeeping gene pool in NE Lincs then? Could be useful for us in a couple of decades.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 9:55pm