2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
May 10, 2021, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,528
Gold Stars: 75
Not really sure if this is different to a reserves team or not. I haven't really thought about what we might be doing with reserves / Under-23s now that the new owners seem to want to actually give Hurst the ability to do some long-term planning.

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1391634105083863041
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
May 10, 2021, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,117
Gold Stars: 1,488
It looks like that photo was taken the precise moment Russ Wilcox was told he was losing his job.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
gtfc98
May 10, 2021, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,023
Gold Stars: 64
if there's one club circling the drain hole it's the scunts. Love to see it.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
pizzzza
May 10, 2021, 2:58pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,621
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Poojah
It looks like that photo was taken the precise moment Russ Wilcox was told he was losing his job.

Well he should be used to it now given that this is the second time they have sacked him
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
acko338
May 10, 2021, 3:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 33
Hasn't Mrs Swann closed the purse strings from Wilkos?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
pontoonlew
May 10, 2021, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,703
Gold Stars: 162
We may have been the ones relegated but I wouldn’t swap Scunnys position for our own right now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Poojah
May 10, 2021, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,117
Gold Stars: 1,488
Quoted from pontoonlew
We may have been the ones relegated but I wouldn’t swap Scunnys position for our own right now

That's quite a bold statement, but one you may well be right about in the long-term. We shouldn't underestimate the significance of dropping back into non-league, that in itself is pretty dire. But I suspect the next 6 - 12 months could well be 'interesting' for Scunny.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
moosey_club
May 10, 2021, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Isnt his son doing some behind the scenes scouting/ coaching or something?
I would also think that as Swann's philosophy is now about playing their own so what was the u23's will probably turn into the first team squad next season.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
diehardmariner
May 11, 2021, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +16,981
Gold Stars: 516
By all accounts Scunny had a decent under 23 set-up and a few players who they had high hopes for.  Be interesting to see if, as moosey says, they promote them as their first-teamers for next season or if it's clean sweep approach.

Doesn't look great for them down the 180 that's for sure, I also appreciate the irony of saying that as we're planning trips to Kings Lynn.   Local bragging rights aside, I'd rather not see any of the local teams in the non-league scene.  I've followed Town for 30+ years now and I've never seen a league derby with Hull, I've seen 4 league ones with Scunny (2 via iFollow this season) and a fair amount with Lincoln.   I'd love it if there was a point in the near future where all 4 clubs are in the same league fighting at the top.

Local rivalries are what makes football special, that little bit more special for us as the real fans.  I don't think the Man Utd duvet brigade really get that from the derby games with City.  You can't beat that extra bit of needle in the week building up, jokey conversations at work but really laced with the undertone of 'I flipping hate your lot, more so this week'.  Knowing that if you win on Saturday it's going to be glorious on Monday morning, if you lose it's gonna be hell.

Growing up I saw Sheff Weds and Barnsley as our rivals as they were at our level.  Then of course there was the West Brom period.  But largely we've been starved of a true rivalry that has meant something for bloody ages.  2005/06 when both us and Lincoln were in the play-offs was as close as it came.  But it was only towards the end of that season we were battling for similar places, we always had an eye on the top 3 and they were always aiming for top 7.  We've never, this season aside, really battled for a spot with Scunny in donkeys years.  Hull we've just bypassed one way or another.

The Cheltenham, Stevenage, Gateshead sagas weren't rivalries to me.  They were just teams we were battling for promotion with or they were just bellends.  I truly hope we're back in the league sharpish and able to start some of those real rivalries that we all love.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
arryarryarry
May 11, 2021, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,925
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from gtfc98
if there's one club circling the drain hole it's the scunts. Love to see it.

Given the choice, I would much rather be circling the drain hole than down the frigging thing.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe scrap U23s squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.