2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
drbell
May 8, 2021, 9:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
I recall during operation promotion, a fair few fans (myself included) expressed interest in being able to make more regular small contributions to the club. As an exile I dont buy tickets every other week for example. However, at the time, there were some concerns about how money gifted to the club might get used, and by who, and also when it comes to shares what owning more shares really meant to anyone. With this in mind, and the new ownership and organisation of the club, I thought I'd see what others thought:

- monthly share purchase - direct debit every month to buy shares (or fractional shares). I could imagine this being a path to a not insignificant regular income for the club, plus a slow and steady progression towards more fan ownership on the books.

- if shares dont actually help Andrew, Jason and the club, due to PLC or other reasons, other options to regularly contribute with real clarity on how the money is used could work. I am aware of the trusts 100s club now which is great, but I wonder if it got to very large numbers if this would be the best approach for all) Off the top of my head:
   - sponsor/contribute to a youth team player/the youth team
   - organised purchase of tickets or kits for school kids, underprivileged, etc
   - contribution towards equipment/projects etc - a bit more of an out there idea, and possibly harder to do given things that really will help the team should happen anyway, but there might be things that could be done quicker with more support. I guess I'm thinking of something I've seen done with some wedding lists - guests select from one of many things on a list, and contribute to it or pay for it all (only in our case it might be a monthly payment option).
Logged Offline
Private Message
bawarmy
May 8, 2021, 10:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
I’d do a direct debit every month. I do a £10 one to a dog charity every month. They do a draw at the end of every month and the winning name wins £100. 2nd gets £50 and 3rd £25. It’s called the 200 club as it has 200 members.  That’s £175 out and the rest of the £2000 profit. I’m sure we could get more than 200 people interested.  

Don’t worry, I would carry on with the dog charity too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
LondonMariner43
May 8, 2021, 10:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
I’m with you on this and asked the Trust about it.  They suggested joining the Trust 200 Club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
mariner83
May 8, 2021, 10:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from bawarmy
I’d do a direct debit every month. I do a £10 one to a dog charity every month. They do a draw at the end of every month and the winning name wins £100. 2nd gets £50 and 3rd £25. It’s called the 200 club as it has 200 members.  That’s £175 out and the rest of the £2000 profit. I’m sure we could get more than 200 people interested.  

Don’t worry, I would carry on with the dog charity too.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/what-is-mariners-lottery/
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
realist
May 8, 2021, 10:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,665
Gold Stars: 40
I am struggling to understand why working class people would contribute to a business owned by multi millionaires. Surely your admission ticket is sufficient contribution to the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
Southwark Mariner
May 8, 2021, 10:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,528
Gold Stars: 75
I'd suggest something like the Disabled Supporters Club might be something to support. I've given to them in the past via the Mariners Trust when they've asked for cash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
forza ivano
May 8, 2021, 11:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,108
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from mariner83

is it just me, or do the club fail to publicise lots of things that they do?
hadn't heard of this lottery, didn't know about the walking football team, didn't know about the disabilities team, have seen next to nothing on the work Graham Rodger does
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
lukeo
May 9, 2021, 7:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.08
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,292
Gold Stars: 133
Join the lottery or just treat yourself once a month to items in the club shop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Heisenberg
May 9, 2021, 9:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,760
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from lukeo
Join the lottery or just treat yourself once a month to items in the club shop

Regarding the club shop, I would do if the gear wasn’t all sh#t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
aldi_01
May 9, 2021, 9:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,686
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Heisenberg

Regarding the club shop, I would do if the gear wasn’t all sh#t.

I’d move the club shop too. Stick it in town, have actual changing rooms and the like, improve what is on offer and they’d no doubt sell a bit more.

The online shop needs improving drastically too...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Regular monthly contributions to GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.