Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Relegation could be the best thing.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

Relegation could be the best thing.....

This thread currently has 1,971 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Sussexmariner
May 6, 2021, 9:35am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
....that can happen to our club at this moment in time.

I’m sure like everybody else I can’t help but feel Stockwood and Pettit will do great things for our club. They both come across as very humble and modest and have a genuine love for our club. I know people say they’re saying all the right things which is fine but look at their history, Stockwood has built up a multi million pound, international company and year after year it has been voted the best company to work for, so he clearly practices what he preaches and pettit has built up a very successful property and investment business.

So here’s the thing, in my opinion, we have a far better chance of doing well and getting promoted next season than if we were staying in league two trying to get out that division. They have said that they will invest on the pitch to get a good competitive team together i.e. promotion.
Can you imagine the momentum Town would have if with all the positivity at the start of the season we start winning games? imagine the away days and the crowds getting back to Blundell Park? etc
I think it would be a lot easier to do that if we were in the national league.

One step back to take two steps forward.

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 6, 2021, 9:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
I know what you're saying and your optimism is commendable but imagine if all of this was propelling us towards the First Division!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
promotion plaice
May 6, 2021, 10:00am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197

The trouble is there is a loss of revenue back in the National League and the longer we stay in it the worse it gets.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
pontoonlew
May 6, 2021, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Yesterday has only made me more gutted about relegation tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
LH
May 6, 2021, 11:01am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Relegation to non-league can never be a good thing. Appreciate yesterday was quite emotional for some but get your heads back on.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
VinnyGTFC
May 6, 2021, 11:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Relegation from the football league is never the best thing and shouldn't be seen as that. Although delighted and positive over the new owners we have to remember. They haven't a fortune to pump into the club. They are new to controlling a club and will make a lot of mistakes. We may well become a National League bottom half team for a long time and we may have to be prepared for that. We have our club back yes, but at a hell of a cost.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Poojah
May 6, 2021, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
I think that's an admirable attempt to put a positive spin on relegation into non-league, but no, regardless of the takeover I can only see relegation as a significant negative. Make no mistake, it's going to be tough getting out.

When we went down in 2010 I think most of us had a sense of naivety about the challenge that lay ahead. A league full of untraditional footballing names and a handful of basket case former football league clubs. How hard could it be?

We didn't have a full appreciation then of the kind of money that Crawley, Fleetwood and Forest Green were going to throw at it, but even then we were beaten to promotion by Wimbledon, York, Mansfield, Newport, Luton, Cambridge, Barnet, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham. There were other, smaller clubs like Gateshead and Eastleigh who were also prepared to speculate.

This time around we already know that the likes of Stockport and Wrexham will have money, assuming they're not promoted in the meantime. Add to that sizeable ex-league clubs like Notts County and Chesterfield, plus the kind of established non-league outfits who always caused us problems. The play-off system has changed since we were last down there too, making it a lot more difficult to be promoted if you don't finish in the top 3 - something we only ever did once.

The positivity is fantastic right now, particularly given the events of the last twelve months. But it's important to be realistic - next season is going to be tough, and I'd say there's a significant chance we won't come straight back up. And if that's the case, it's important to remember and retain the optimism of today - we have excellent, progressive new owners hellbent on changing the club for the better. But change takes time, and success might not come immediately.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
RonMariner
May 6, 2021, 11:28am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
Poojar is right as usual. We should not expect to get out of the NL at the first attempt.

The club has been allowed to rot to such an extent that the lack of quality we have witnessed on the pitch is the tip of the iceberg, the whole infrastructure off the pitch is not fit for purpose.

Clearly we need good players to win games. But the players need high quality back up off the pitch to achieve their full potential. So we need excellent training facilities, coaching, fitness regimes, injury prevention and recovery management.  I think the new owners get that, as does Hurst.

So all of the back room issues need addressing just as much as the player recruitment.  It’s not just a question of bringing in half a dozen players. It is root and branch reform.  That will take time. It would be miraculous if it were to be achieved in one season.

So we will need to be patient. But once new systems are in place it means that success on the pitch will be sustainable. So next time we get promotion from the NL it will be the start of a climb up the league’s, unlike last time when it was merely a passport to perennial relegation battles in L2.

Yesterday was the first, but most vital, step in our recovery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Hagrid
May 6, 2021, 11:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
relegation out of the football league can never be anything but a disaster and heartbreaking
yes JF is gone, but the damage he caused will live with us for a while yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Sussexmariner
May 6, 2021, 12:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Never said we will get promoted on the first attempt, all I’m saying is, we will in my opinion have more “success” in the National league i.e in or around a play-off places, as opposed to maybe finishing in mid table obscurity in league two. It is what it is, just trying to make the most of it.

I was there on our first game in the National League away to Crawley, we won 1-0 walking away thinking what a urine poor league and we’ll be promoted by Christmas, we all know how that turned out!
Just hope we got off to a good start and the momentum starts to build, I am totally behind Hurst, I think he did enough to show he can change things around, he knows the league and what it takes to get out of it and hopefully get the players he wants to do that but as you can see from my avatar thingy at the bottom (can’t be bothered to change it) at the end of his first reign I was never a big fan of his, his negativity and bigging up the opposition was too much for me.
Can’t wait for the season to start hopefully with no restrictions on crowds, just think of that atmosphere with a massive Town away day following for the first game of the season!

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Relegation could be the best thing.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.