Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Andrew Pettit & Jason Stockwood on DN35 Pod
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 206 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 24.

Andrew Pettit & Jason Stockwood on DN35 Pod

This thread currently has 7,961 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
May 4, 2021, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Already we must be as good as PSG.  They had no shots on target tonight.  We could not do any worse than that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
aldi_01
May 4, 2021, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I see Fenty has asked a question. One of the anonymous ones asks whether it’s just a vanity project to boast about on the golf course 😆

Was the question phrased correctly? If so, I’d say it wasn’t actually Fenty, more likely one of his minions...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
GollyGTFC
May 4, 2021, 11:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from DB

I read a report about this. Apparently, BT can now make more profit elsewhere and want to cut BT Sport loose. I believe they are talking to others including Amazon and NetFlix, but it may be that the new owners may not want the NL games?

What? You think BT have made any money out of BT Sport? They haven’t. They’ve lost hundreds of millions on it.

They launched it out of desperation. Sky were making huge inroads in phone & broadband subscriptions at the expense of BT. BT tried to hit back at Sky by targeting their domination of Sports coverage.

BT have finally seen sense and want shot of it.

I can’t see Netflix being remotely interested. Amazon won’t be either given how much BT overpaid for PL & UEFA CL coverage.

Worth noting that UEFA has realised having their club competitions behind a paywall is good for TV revenue but disastrous for sponsorship revenue as no one is watching the matches and businesses realise they get no exposure in large parts of Europe by sponsoring the competition.

Whether the new owners want NL coverage or not isn’t that important. What is important is whether the contract is water tight and the contract will be honoured financially even if the new owners don’t want to broadcast matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 36
aldi_01
May 5, 2021, 5:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Since BT overpaid for Champions League games and the smattering of premier league games, have viewing figures increased?

BT have been trying for a while to offload things; the best programme they had was the European football show with James Richardson. Was excellent and with actual experts, they cancelled it and I lost interest. Then they binned of Serie A so I lost even more interest.

I can see Amazon fancying joining the game so to speak, Netflix is an interesting one, they’ve got the cash and the subscriptions, which would obviously increase but are the interested in making films more?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
DB
May 5, 2021, 6:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from GollyGTFC

What? You think BT have made any money out of BT Sport? They haven’t. They’ve lost hundreds of millions on it.

They launched it out of desperation. Sky were making huge inroads in phone & broadband subscriptions at the expense of BT. BT tried to hit back at Sky by targeting their domination of Sports coverage.

BT have finally seen sense and want shot of it.

I can’t see Netflix being remotely interested. Amazon won’t be either given how much BT overpaid for PL & UEFA CL coverage.

Worth noting that UEFA has realised having their club competitions behind a paywall is good for TV revenue but disastrous for sponsorship revenue as no one is watching the matches and businesses realise they get no exposure in large parts of Europe by sponsoring the competition.

Whether the new owners want NL coverage or not isn’t that important. What is important is whether the contract is water tight and the contract will be honoured financially even if the new owners don’t want to broadcast matches.

I never said that. I also read this. I wrote they can make more profit elsewhere, but I didn't state where from or where they made an existing profit from.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
MrFisherman
May 5, 2021, 9:03am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
BT Sport pay sod all for the National League games!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
diehardmariner
May 5, 2021, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I think I read that BT have started to see a profit on the BT Sport project, albeit not enough to quite level out the previous losses made.

Either way, they want to sell but it'll all come down to who can afford it in the end.  

Can't see Netflix getting into that battle to be honest, just doesn't fit their profile.  Amazon have had varied success with Premier League fixtures.  They've kept most of the viewing figures under wrap but the Merseyside derby, which was one of the first games they showed back in 2019, was rumoured to have drawn 2million +.  Amazon's model is about having sport as a loss leader, something to draw people into the Amazon bubble with the intention that you'll then buy a new air-fryer at half-time.   They've literally got billions and billions to play with.

The other player would probably be DAZN who seem intent on breaking into the UK market and this would give them an excellent introduction.

For the life of me I can't see ITV having the money to compete with any of the streaming services.  The purist in me would love to see sport like this back on terrestrial TV but I think those days are sadly gone.  The other thing to maybe consider is how sellable are the Champions League rights now?  For all the backlash and protest, I can't help but think that we haven't heard the last of the Super League and with it the death of UEFA effectively.  Will any broadcaster want to be left holding the can with an expensive sports package that no-one will want.  Sure, there will be clauses and get-outs but these could be long winded to receive any compensation.

In respect of Town and the Conference rights.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if whatever deal is done for BT, the Conference rights are flogged off to a smaller broadcaster like Premier Sports.  Maybe even a terrestrial outfit like Quest might be interested.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
forza ivano
May 5, 2021, 11:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Green27
We're delighted that Jason and Andrew have reached out to the podcast and will be on tomorrow after the takeover is complete. If you have a question for the duo send them in on the link below and upvote any of the ones you want answering as we won't be able to get through them all.

[url]https://app.sli.do/event/qhefuc0v[/url]

when will the podcast be available to listen to?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
dapperz fun pub
May 5, 2021, 12:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from forza ivano

when will the podcast be available to listen to?

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
GollyGTFC
May 5, 2021, 12:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think I read that BT have started to see a profit on the BT Sport project, albeit not enough to quite level out the previous losses made.

Either way, they want to sell but it'll all come down to who can afford it in the end.  

Can't see Netflix getting into that battle to be honest, just doesn't fit their profile.  Amazon have had varied success with Premier League fixtures.  They've kept most of the viewing figures under wrap but the Merseyside derby, which was one of the first games they showed back in 2019, was rumoured to have drawn 2million +.  Amazon's model is about having sport as a loss leader, something to draw people into the Amazon bubble with the intention that you'll then buy a new air-fryer at half-time.   They've literally got billions and billions to play with.

The other player would probably be DAZN who seem intent on breaking into the UK market and this would give them an excellent introduction.

For the life of me I can't see ITV having the money to compete with any of the streaming services.  The purist in me would love to see sport like this back on terrestrial TV but I think those days are sadly gone.  The other thing to maybe consider is how sellable are the Champions League rights now?  For all the backlash and protest, I can't help but think that we haven't heard the last of the Super League and with it the death of UEFA effectively.  Will any broadcaster want to be left holding the can with an expensive sports package that no-one will want.  Sure, there will be clauses and get-outs but these could be long winded to receive any compensation.

In respect of Town and the Conference rights.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if whatever deal is done for BT, the Conference rights are flogged off to a smaller broadcaster like Premier Sports.  Maybe even a terrestrial outfit like Quest might be interested.  

No, they’ve managed to run it at about break even for the last couple of years. However they’d lost well over £1 billion getting to that point.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Andrew Pettit & Jason Stockwood on DN35 Pod

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.