Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Green27, May 4, 2021, 9:22am
We're delighted that Jason and Andrew have reached out to the podcast and will be on tomorrow after the takeover is complete. If you have a question for the duo send them in on the link below and upvote any of the ones you want answering as we won't be able to get through them all.

[url]https://app.sli.do/event/qhefuc0v[/url]
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, May 4, 2021, 9:41am; Reply: 1
Good work that chaps
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 4, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 2
The owners of the club have volunteered to talk to the fans in an open way..........that'll never work!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 4, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 3
The owners of the club have volunteered to talk to the fans in an open way..........that'll never work!
Posted by: RichMariner, May 4, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 4
I think the lack of any questions forthcoming on here says everything you need to know about the outgoing regime.

"Hi Jason and Andrew, we will let you take over our club unquestionably because even if it was your ambition to sabotage us we doubt you'd be able to do it as well as John Fenty and his band of merry men."
Posted by: jaygy, May 4, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 5
Can't wait to hear their views on the club going forward, the less time spent asking questions about the outgoing board the better IMO
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 4, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 6
What is your initial 5 year plan for GTFC?

Are you expecting that, in addition to yourselves, other investors will be interested in GTFC?

Given what information you have been privy to as part of the purchase should the fans be optimistic about getting a new stadium in the next 5 years? If yes is it your preference for that stadium to be situated on Freeman Street or the Docks?  If no what are your plans for improving Blundell Park?
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, May 4, 2021, 3:41pm; Reply: 7
Hello, unsure if anything like this has been asked already, but...

What are 3 of your main priorities when you take over? As in, would the training ground be classed as a priority? Etc... I as long as many others have the utmost faith in you both. UTM!
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 4, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 8
Have you discussed a new ground and if so, the likelihood where it might be and a timeframe for it being built?
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 4, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from RichMariner
I think the lack of any questions forthcoming on here says everything you need to know about the outgoing regime.

There are absolutely loads of questions if you click the link in the first post of this thread.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 4, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 10
Will the newts be a problem when relocating?

Just how much will ITV digital affect our prospects next season?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 4, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from aldi_01
Will the newts be a problem when relocating?

Just how much will ITV digital affect our prospects next season?

You joke about ITV but rumours are that BT are desperate to offload all or part of BT Sport and ITV are seriously considering buying it and putting both UEFA Champions League & Premier League matches on free to air TV.

So the National League might be broadcast on an ITV owned channel next season.
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 4, 2021, 4:27pm; Reply: 12
I think rather than us asking them generic questions, I’d just like to hear from them personally, find out a bit about them individually and what they have in mind for the club.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 4, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 13
There are loads of great questions on the link. Please take 5 minutes to vote on them, so hopefully the most interesting/relevant ones will get picked (you can tick/thumbs up as many questions as you like)

What OP didn't say, but did mention on Twitter, was that Andrew & Jason approached DN35 to do this. This, in itself, tells you what a different approach they are going to take
Posted by: DB, May 4, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You joke about ITV but rumours are that BT are desperate to offload all or part of BT Sport and ITV are seriously considering buying it and putting both UEFA Champions League & Premier League matches on free to air TV.

So the National League might be broadcast on an ITV owned channel next season.

I read a report about this. Apparently, BT can now make more profit elsewhere and want to cut BT Sport loose. I believe they are talking to others including Amazon and NetFlix, but it may be that the new owners may not want the NL games?
Posted by: Zmariner, May 4, 2021, 5:48pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from DB

I read a report about this. Apparently, BT can now make more profit elsewhere and want to cut BT Sport loose. I believe they are talking to others including Amazon and NetFlix, but it may be that the new owners may not want the NL games?

Shouldn’t be a problem as we will only need the coverage for one season
Posted by: Perkins, May 4, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Green27
We're delighted that Jason and Andrew have reached out to the podcast and will be on tomorrow after the takeover is complete. If you have a question for the duo send them in on the link below and upvote any of the ones you want answering as we won't be able to get through them all.

Looking at the questions on the link, there are more than a few asking if a CEO will be appointed to run the club on a day to day basis, i hope to God if they do, its not  Philip Day.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 4, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Perkins

Looking at the questions on the link, there are more than a few asking if a CEO will be appointed to run the club on a day to day basis, i hope to God if they do, its not  Philip Day.

We already have a CEO. Ian Flemming. A decent bloke (as a person), but how much he has been hampered by the current regime I have no idea. Maybe he would flourish under new ownership or maybe he’s just not good as CEO of a football club ?  But there is no chance (I sincerely pray) that Day will get that role.

And sorry Ian. But if you do lose the CEO role, please don’t apply for groundsman 😉
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 18
I see Fenty has asked a question. One of the anonymous ones asks whether it’s just a vanity project to boast about on the golf course 😆
Posted by: Green27, May 4, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I see Fenty has asked a question. One of the anonymous ones asks whether it’s just a vanity project to boast about on the golf course 😆

Anonymous ones are getting deleted. Only fair if we want honesty that we give it too.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 4, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 20
Already we must be as good as PSG.  They had no shots on target tonight.  We could not do any worse than that.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 4, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Was the question phrased correctly? If so, I’d say it wasn’t actually Fenty, more likely one of his minions...
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 4, 2021, 11:28pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from DB

What? You think BT have made any money out of BT Sport? They haven’t. They’ve lost hundreds of millions on it.

They launched it out of desperation. Sky were making huge inroads in phone & broadband subscriptions at the expense of BT. BT tried to hit back at Sky by targeting their domination of Sports coverage.

BT have finally seen sense and want shot of it.

I can’t see Netflix being remotely interested. Amazon won’t be either given how much BT overpaid for PL & UEFA CL coverage.

Worth noting that UEFA has realised having their club competitions behind a paywall is good for TV revenue but disastrous for sponsorship revenue as no one is watching the matches and businesses realise they get no exposure in large parts of Europe by sponsoring the competition.

Whether the new owners want NL coverage or not isn’t that important. What is important is whether the contract is water tight and the contract will be honoured financially even if the new owners don’t want to broadcast matches.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 5, 2021, 5:51am; Reply: 23
Since BT overpaid for Champions League games and the smattering of premier league games, have viewing figures increased?

BT have been trying for a while to offload things; the best programme they had was the European football show with James Richardson. Was excellent and with actual experts, they cancelled it and I lost interest. Then they binned of Serie A so I lost even more interest.

I can see Amazon fancying joining the game so to speak, Netflix is an interesting one, they’ve got the cash and the subscriptions, which would obviously increase but are the interested in making films more?
Posted by: DB, May 5, 2021, 6:14am; Reply: 24
Quoted from GollyGTFC

What? You think BT have made any money out of BT Sport? They haven’t. They’ve lost hundreds of millions on it.

They launched it out of desperation. Sky were making huge inroads in phone & broadband subscriptions at the expense of BT. BT tried to hit back at Sky by targeting their domination of Sports coverage.

BT have finally seen sense and want shot of it.

I can’t see Netflix being remotely interested. Amazon won’t be either given how much BT overpaid for PL & UEFA CL coverage.

Worth noting that UEFA has realised having their club competitions behind a paywall is good for TV revenue but disastrous for sponsorship revenue as no one is watching the matches and businesses realise they get no exposure in large parts of Europe by sponsoring the competition.

Whether the new owners want NL coverage or not isn’t that important. What is important is whether the contract is water tight and the contract will be honoured financially even if the new owners don’t want to broadcast matches.

I never said that. I also read this. I wrote they can make more profit elsewhere, but I didn't state where from or where they made an existing profit from.

Posted by: MrFisherman, May 5, 2021, 9:03am; Reply: 25
BT Sport pay sod all for the National League games!!!!!
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 5, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 26
I think I read that BT have started to see a profit on the BT Sport project, albeit not enough to quite level out the previous losses made.

Either way, they want to sell but it'll all come down to who can afford it in the end.  

Can't see Netflix getting into that battle to be honest, just doesn't fit their profile.  Amazon have had varied success with Premier League fixtures.  They've kept most of the viewing figures under wrap but the Merseyside derby, which was one of the first games they showed back in 2019, was rumoured to have drawn 2million +.  Amazon's model is about having sport as a loss leader, something to draw people into the Amazon bubble with the intention that you'll then buy a new air-fryer at half-time.   They've literally got billions and billions to play with.

The other player would probably be DAZN who seem intent on breaking into the UK market and this would give them an excellent introduction.

For the life of me I can't see ITV having the money to compete with any of the streaming services.  The purist in me would love to see sport like this back on terrestrial TV but I think those days are sadly gone.  The other thing to maybe consider is how sellable are the Champions League rights now?  For all the backlash and protest, I can't help but think that we haven't heard the last of the Super League and with it the death of UEFA effectively.  Will any broadcaster want to be left holding the can with an expensive sports package that no-one will want.  Sure, there will be clauses and get-outs but these could be long winded to receive any compensation.

In respect of Town and the Conference rights.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if whatever deal is done for BT, the Conference rights are flogged off to a smaller broadcaster like Premier Sports.  Maybe even a terrestrial outfit like Quest might be interested.  
Posted by: forza ivano, May 5, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Green27

when will the podcast be available to listen to?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 5, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from forza ivano

This
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 5, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think I read that BT have started to see a profit on the BT Sport project, albeit not enough to quite level out the previous losses made.

Either way, they want to sell but it'll all come down to who can afford it in the end.  

Can't see Netflix getting into that battle to be honest, just doesn't fit their profile.  Amazon have had varied success with Premier League fixtures.  They've kept most of the viewing figures under wrap but the Merseyside derby, which was one of the first games they showed back in 2019, was rumoured to have drawn 2million +.  Amazon's model is about having sport as a loss leader, something to draw people into the Amazon bubble with the intention that you'll then buy a new air-fryer at half-time.   They've literally got billions and billions to play with.

The other player would probably be DAZN who seem intent on breaking into the UK market and this would give them an excellent introduction.

For the life of me I can't see ITV having the money to compete with any of the streaming services.  The purist in me would love to see sport like this back on terrestrial TV but I think those days are sadly gone.  The other thing to maybe consider is how sellable are the Champions League rights now?  For all the backlash and protest, I can't help but think that we haven't heard the last of the Super League and with it the death of UEFA effectively.  Will any broadcaster want to be left holding the can with an expensive sports package that no-one will want.  Sure, there will be clauses and get-outs but these could be long winded to receive any compensation.

In respect of Town and the Conference rights.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if whatever deal is done for BT, the Conference rights are flogged off to a smaller broadcaster like Premier Sports.  Maybe even a terrestrial outfit like Quest might be interested.  

No, they’ve managed to run it at about break even for the last couple of years. However they’d lost well over £1 billion getting to that point.
Posted by: Green27, May 5, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano

Thursday morning.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 5, 2021, 2:31pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Green27

Thursday morning.

Have you recorded it yet? Just wondering if you know anything regarding what's gone on today? Unsurprisingly nothing from the club yet.
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 5, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 32
There should only be one question at this moment in time " how can we get back " from the abyss of non league first time ? " If we don't it could be many years . Just ask the other teams such as Wrexham Notts Co. York Stockport Darlington Aldershot Torquay Hartlepool Halifax Chesterfield .
Posted by: Green27, May 6, 2021, 7:22am; Reply: 33
The show is up now!

You can get it online by googling DN35 Pod

Or from Spotify, iTunes, Google Podcasts or by asking Alexa.

Hope you enjoy.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 6, 2021, 12:29pm; Reply: 34
About 15mins into this and have paused to say that I'm delighted to hear that they're at least considering staying at Blundell Park and seeing if they can do what we'd previously been blanketly told wasn't possible in that we couldn't renovate. Great to hear JS talking about going to see Arsenal and the soullessness of the Emirates vs Highbury. It always struck me as something that the old regime wasn't interested in doing if they couldn't do it on the cheap. There are obviously engineering and architectural solutions to these kind of problems and it wouldn't surprise me at all if these weren't properly explored before.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 6, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 35
good work Green 27 - enjoyed the listen.hope you can get them back in a months time when it's a bit less frenetic and it can be a bit more of a considered discussion (that's not a criticism of you - really the fact that yesterday was a whirlwind for the 2 of them) as in a few weeks they will have a much clearer picture of where they are
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 7, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 36
Yeah great podcast that. Of all the interviews that JS and AP have done over the past few days, this is the best I've heard as they let their guard down the most here and weren't in media mode quite as much.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:20am