Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Future of the club, what do we want?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 163 Guests

Future of the club, what do we want?

This thread currently has 7,047 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2021, 1:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Why would you relocate the trading ground into another county, why not offer decent mid term contracts and a strong incentive package instead?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
immariner
April 10, 2021, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from realist
Are modern footballers so useless that they can’t commute? I read the suggestions of moving the training ground nearer the A180 with disbelief.

So you don't think havimg the training ground 30 minutes closer for potential signings who live near Leeds/Sheffield etc, wouldn't have a positive impact on recruitment?

Love an ironic username, me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
thevera
April 10, 2021, 1:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
Having a training ground near Doncaster is a no for me , you have to think of all the players and staff that live in the area that will have to make that journey daily.

Great Coates would be ideal in my eyes best of both worlds.

A new community stadium in Freeman St is the only way we will get a new stadium unless Jason and Andrew have got a spare 30 million they want to spend.

Whatever happens things will be a lot better than the last 17+ years.

The office staff would still be working from the new staduim it would only be those involved in the playing side having to travel but I bet most of them travel  the length of the  M180 already, Doig travels from Birmingham every day. Even so it takes 35 minutes to get to the start of the M180 at Doncaster from Freeman Street..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
GollyGTFC
April 10, 2021, 1:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from realist
Are modern footballers so useless that they can’t commute? I read the suggestions of moving the training ground nearer the A180 with disbelief.

The question isn't about being so useless they can't commute. The question is if "Footballer A" has 2 options and 1 in a 50 minute motorway commute & the other is a 50 minute motorway commute followed by about 25 minutes getting around/through Grimsby to get to Cheapside which option will the player take?

It's only 25 minutes though? But twice a day- 50 minutes. And four times a week- 3 hours 20 minutes. For 45 weeks of the year- 150 hours.

So suddenly that 25 minutes is nearly a whole week of extra time in the car commuting per season.

And before somebody argues about the players moving to NE Lincolnshire, we're now in the age of short term contracts. You can't expect a player to move to the area when they've only been given a 1 or 2 year contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 54
Mariner93er
April 10, 2021, 1:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
There are obviously lots of things we can change, but for me, it's about how the new owners market the club. For too long, the club has sat and expected fans to simply turn up and to keep attracting the next generation of fans in, but that simply doesn't work. It's far too easy for people to sit in their armchairs watching Skysports than going to watch a team lingering in the lower leagues, barely able to bang in a goal a game.

As painful as it is to see, Lincoln are the prime example of how solid marketing and a culture change can transform the whole club - who would have foreseen 5 or 6 years ago the situation Lincoln would be in now - not necessarily in terms of league position but in gates and general enthusiasm for the club? At the minute, I'd imagine too many of our fans attend games (or did) out of a sense of duty, routine and a longing for what the club once was as opposed to what it currently is.

But with a few changes the club can easily be propelled into a forward-thinking, modern club. Any takeover would be a welcome change, but the fact Jason Stockwood is involved gives me extra confidence as he seems to have a track record of doing exactly the above - and the fact there'll be a survey is indicative of this.

Exciting times to be a Grimsby Town fan, and even if we end up in non-league next season, I think we'll see some successful years in the not-too-distant future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
RonMariner
April 10, 2021, 2:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,800
Gold Stars: 226
A winning team.

Sort all the rest out in due course. But we need to see a winning team, whichever division we are in, to rekindle the enthusiasm of the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
forza ivano
April 10, 2021, 2:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,270
Gold Stars: 266
GTFC not being an embarrassment on and off the pitch would be nice!

Generally Stockwood bringing his business ethos to permeate everything that the club does would be a huge improvement
Appoint a CEO and bring the club into the 21st century in terms of facilities, marketing, ticketing, merchandise etc etc
i'd like them to go and look abroad at how small clubs who punch above their weight have achieved that

i'm really looking forward to their first press conference and hearing their views and thoughts for the future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
ska face
April 10, 2021, 2:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
A club that appreciates what the fans want from a matchday experience & work hard to make it a reality. Rather than treating fans like an inconvenience to be bullied, silenced, milked and fúcked off ready to be seen in a fortnight.

Home games need some of that “away game” feeling.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
Swansea_Mariner
April 10, 2021, 2:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
So much to do we are virtually starting from scratch. I'd start with fundermentals like a vision, club footballing  philosophy and then build from there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
FishOutOfWater
April 10, 2021, 2:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quite an easy response to the OP's question

F E N T Y   O U T

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Future of the club, what do we want?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.