Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Future of the club, what do we want?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 196 Guests

Future of the club, what do we want?

This thread currently has 7,043 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2021, 12:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I don't think the new owners will start spunking loads of cash about, and I'm fine with that. An end to the penny pinching false economy approach, and showing a modicum of ambition/funding to genuinley improve all aspects of the club year-on-year would be fine by me.

It would also be nice to have a core group of players that you feel an affinity with, rather than a revolving door of loan players and 12 month contracts and total squad overhauls every year. I know many on here don't agree, but I think Hurst has proved previously that he can deliver year-on-year improvements (granted, sometimes only marginal) and build a squad that fans do have an affinity with. I'd give him a 3 year contract, put an end to all the knee-jerk reactions we see on here, and have a sensible plan for progress.

I agree with this, to be honest I think we’ll see regeneration over a period of time rather than revolution

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
GollyGTFC
April 10, 2021, 12:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from thevera

Regarding point 6 why not situate our training ground somewhere around the start of the M180 near Doncaster? That would put an end to the excuse that new players turn us down because we are out on a limb. If set up right they would only have to come to BP on match days.

I don't think we have to go to that extreme. Lincoln's new training ground is opposite RAF Scampton on the A15 which is 17 miles south of M180 J4. Stallingborough interchange is 14 miles from J4 & Great Coates interchange is around 19 miles.

If Lincoln can attract good players at Scampton we can attract good players with a training ground near to either Stallingborough or Great Coates interchange.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 54
promotion plaice
April 10, 2021, 12:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 200

I would imagine relegation to the National League will have an impact on future plans if it happens (still living in hope).

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
DB
April 10, 2021, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
We need to attract quality players, so I see new training facilities just off the A/M 180 as a first thing. This should then bring in quality players. I am sure when questioned about fans most of our ex-players will give us a big thumbs up, and with Fenty gone, there should be no negatives to stop players from coming ( dependent on wages).

Success will bring with it success and with that a new stadium. If this isn't possible then a major overhaul of BP to make it the best stadium out of the premier league. A stadium to bring championship football back to Grimsby.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
immariner
April 10, 2021, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don't think we have to go to that extreme. Lincoln's new training ground is opposite RAF Scampton on the A15 which is 17 miles south of M180 J4. Stallingborough interchange is 14 miles from J4 & Great Coates interchange is around 19 miles.

If Lincoln can attract good players at Scampton we can attract good players with a training ground near to either Stallingborough or Great Coates interchange.

Anywhere between Great Coates and Barnetby interchanges would be a vast improvement on the current location.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
grimsby pete
April 10, 2021, 12:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
Having a training ground near Doncaster is a no for me , you have to think of all the players and staff that live in the area that will have to make that journey daily.

Great Coates would be ideal in my eyes best of both worlds.

A new community stadium in Freeman St is the only way we will get a new stadium unless Jason and Andrew have got a spare 30 million they want to spend.

Whatever happens things will be a lot better than the last 17+ years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
Azimuth
April 10, 2021, 12:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Training facilities.
Coaching and fitness staff
A general improved professional set up
Longer term a new stadium.
Most of all a feel good positive attitude around the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
AussieMariner
April 10, 2021, 12:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from GollyGTFC
My Top 10 wish list...

10. John Fenty to be executed on the pitch prior to first home game in National League if we are relegated this season.

Wouldn’t that be countryside?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
I just want a club that I can be proud to support again that represents the towns of Grimsby and Cleethorpes. Treat the fans as fans and not cash sponges to throw the blame at when things go wrong. A sense of being Grimsby, the club should never forget it's history while it aims for the future. Give the players something that makes them proud to pull on the black and white. Treat the players right and give them a decent working environment but also get them to feel part of the community. Do that and the geographical backwater excuse will be almost forgotten, players, like all of us, perform better when they are happy.

Give me back my club.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
Bristol Mariner

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Red socks

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Future of the club, what do we want?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.