This thread currently has 418 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 8, 2021, 3:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Very rare I gamble but every year I have a bet on the Grand National.

I have to go and put my bet on in a betting shop because I don't do online betting.

Looks like I won't be this year as the betting shops won't be open until Monday (I think)

Should imagine they will lose a lot of money as there will be a lot of people like me, or am I in the minority these days?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
codcheeky
April 8, 2021, 3:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
We need Les to step into action with his sweepstake
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
DB
April 8, 2021, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from promotion plaice

I have to go and put my bet on in a betting shop because I don't do online betting.

Looks like I won't be this year as the betting shops won't be open until Monday (I think)

Should imagine they will lose a lot of money as there will be a lot of people like me, or am I in the minority these days?

Decades ago when I was a lad mam used to have a bet every Saturday, no more than a shilling ( 5p to most of you) and it was National day. I picked this horse out mam and dad told me it was a donkey, wouldn't go round more than once, and would probably fall.

It won and I tried to get mam to pay me the money I would have won for 6pence (2 1/2p Today).

Foinavon 100/1

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Sandford1981
April 8, 2021, 4:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from promotion plaice

It’s a tradition in my family to do exactly the same. Don't bet ordinarily but the national has always been different. The awkward trip to the bookies with my mum or dad was part of it. Regulars looking at you like tourists and the smiles from the knowing staff that you haven’t the foggiest what you are doing.
Not the same online is it and I don’t think I will bother.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
promotion plaice
April 8, 2021, 4:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

There was a small horse in the eighties that hadn't done much in it's Grand National attempts but for some reason I just felt it had something, maybe out of sympathy.

Put money on it in 1989 (decent odds) and it only went and bloody won.

Little Polveir

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
barralad
April 9, 2021, 8:53am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I tried to set up an online account. Accomplishing any of the tasks on the Krypton Factor is easier. They want a passport (haven't got one) or a driving license (don't drive) AND a utility bill.
Gave up.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
RichMariner
April 9, 2021, 12:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
They've got to be strict when validating a new customer's details because they get fined huge amounts if they let just one under-age person register an account with them.

It can be a bit of a faff but once you're set up everything is a breeze (well, depending on which bookie you choose).

I do all my betting online now but I still miss going down to the bricks and mortar bookie on Grand National day, edging your way to the side, grabbing one of those little blue pens and having to listen to the poor old member of staff explain what 'each way' means to the once-a-year bettor.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
grimsby pete
April 17, 2021, 11:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
My great grandaughter aged 11chose a 100/1 horse so Nanny put 50p ew on it for her.

It came second so she was very pleased.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Grand National Betting

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.