Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 8, 2021, 3:42pm

Very rare I gamble but every year I have a bet on the Grand National.

I have to go and put my bet on in a betting shop because I don't do online betting.

Looks like I won't be this year as the betting shops won't be open until Monday (I think)

Should imagine they will lose a lot of money as there will be a lot of people like me, or am I in the minority these days?
Posted by: codcheeky, April 8, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 1
We need Les to step into action with his sweepstake
Posted by: DB, April 8, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice

I have to go and put my bet on in a betting shop because I don't do online betting.

Looks like I won't be this year as the betting shops won't be open until Monday (I think)

Should imagine they will lose a lot of money as there will be a lot of people like me, or am I in the minority these days?

Decades ago when I was a lad mam used to have a bet every Saturday, no more than a shilling ( 5p to most of you) and it was National day. I picked this horse out mam and dad told me it was a donkey, wouldn't go round more than once, and would probably fall.

It won and I tried to get mam to pay me the money I would have won for 6pence (2 1/2p Today).

Foinavon 100/1
Posted by: Sandford1981, April 8, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

It’s a tradition in my family to do exactly the same. Don't bet ordinarily but the national has always been different. The awkward trip to the bookies with my mum or dad was part of it. Regulars looking at you like tourists and the smiles from the knowing staff that you haven’t the foggiest what you are doing.
Not the same online is it and I don’t think I will bother.

Posted by: promotion plaice, April 8, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 4

There was a small horse in the eighties that hadn't done much in it's Grand National attempts but for some reason I just felt it had something, maybe out of sympathy.

Put money on it in 1989 (decent odds) and it only went and bloody won.

Little Polveir
Posted by: barralad, April 9, 2021, 8:53am; Reply: 5
I tried to set up an online account. Accomplishing any of the tasks on the Krypton Factor is easier. They want a passport (haven't got one) or a driving license (don't drive) AND a utility bill.
Gave up.
Posted by: RichMariner, April 9, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 6
They've got to be strict when validating a new customer's details because they get fined huge amounts if they let just one under-age person register an account with them.

It can be a bit of a faff but once you're set up everything is a breeze (well, depending on which bookie you choose).

I do all my betting online now but I still miss going down to the bricks and mortar bookie on Grand National day, edging your way to the side, grabbing one of those little blue pens and having to listen to the poor old member of staff explain what 'each way' means to the once-a-year bettor.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 17, 2021, 11:45am; Reply: 7
My great grandaughter aged 11chose a 100/1 horse so Nanny put 50p ew on it for her.

It came second so she was very pleased.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 4:45pm