Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How has this been allowed to happen?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 351 Guests

How has this been allowed to happen?

This thread currently has 4,260 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
March 8, 2021, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Having seen first hand how difficult the Conference is to get out of, I naively thought that we would never allow ourselves to get into a scenario where we would get relegated again. Although I was always aware of JF's penny-pinching instincts, I believed, again naively, that even he would see the bigger picture and see the massive lost revenue if we got relegated again.

But, if anything, he has made even poorer decisions since we got promoted. Jolley aside, every single managerial appointment has been absolutely shocking. I mean you'd struggle to see how any could've been any worse. Right from the word go we squandered the momentum we had from promotion through, guess what? yes, penny-pinching. The fiascos such as "you lose trust, Matt" and Marley telling fans to shut up have proven the contempt those at the top have for our fanbase.

Bignot was an appointment on the cheap, I'm pretty sure Jolley was too but he just got lucky. Then you have the Covid-clauses. Rightly, no footballer worth his salt gave us a second look. We can blame Runaway all we want for this season but it's rooted in a typical Fenty stroke. And you can just see the players we've signed in this window are the rubbish that nobody else wanted. That's what being rubbish does for you.

It's so Grimsby Town to have made the worst of a bad situation like Covid. I thought us being financially relatively well run would be able to exploit an otherwise precarious financial hell in football, but no of course not. We made a mess of that.

All of this was predictable and avoidable but we didn't. We made the same mistakes all over again and are now reaping the "rewards" of falling back into non-league where we will have battle fatigue as a club. That day at Wembley won't feel anywhere near as good. The novelty will be gone and desperation to get back even greater.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
RonMariner
March 8, 2021, 10:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
Suggest you e-mail Fenty and ask him to explain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Mariner Ronnie
March 8, 2021, 10:42pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from RonMariner
Suggest you e-mail Fenty and ask him to explain.

Somebody asked fenty why Marcus Bignot was sacked at “that” fans forum if I remember correctly, I don’t think he gave a clear answer.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
ginnywings
March 8, 2021, 10:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Priority has been to keep costs as low as possible and spin the narrative that the custodians are being financially responsible, when in fact the overriding inclination has been to take money out the pot to repay a certain individual. No investment in the squad or facilities beyond the bare minimum to function. The only money going into the club has been from the fans and you have to trust that they use that income to build a competitive team and coaching staff. They have failed over and over.

Men of little footballing nous and a parochial outlook.

I see we have a new analyst at the club. That wouldn't have happened in the past because it would have been seen as a waste of money, despite most other clubs having them.

Short sighted cheapskates have left us in the lurch yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Kris2
March 8, 2021, 11:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Somebody asked fenty why Marcus Bignot was sacked at “that” fans forum if I remember correctly, I don’t think he gave a clear answer.

The same way most managers end up out of the club, fell out with Fenty as his ambitions were not something the club wanted to pay for. Results somewhat too but he was hardly given much time. Think his personality rubbed Fenty the wrong way from day one as it did many people on here. One argument after a game later and he was gone.

Still not as funny as the story I heard on the reasons Mike Newell was gone, it read like a kinky love story with secrets, backstabbing and two men with sweaty brows and a tie being pulled.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
DB
March 9, 2021, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
How has this been allowed to happen?

Somebody sold his fish company for a few million and thought he could run a football club the same way.

End of

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
arryarryarry
March 9, 2021, 3:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
Priority has been to keep costs as low as possible and spin the narrative that the custodians are being financially responsible, when in fact the overriding inclination has been to take money out the pot to repay a certain individual. No investment in the squad or facilities beyond the bare minimum to function. The only money going into the club has been from the fans and you have to trust that they use that income to build a competitive team and coaching staff. They have failed over and over.

Men of little footballing nous and a parochial outlook.

I see we have a new analyst at the club. That wouldn't have happened in the past because it would have been seen as a waste of money, despite most other clubs having them.

Short sighted cheapskates have left us in the lurch yet again.

Russell Slade had a full-time analyst and that worked out well?

Probably the reason the club didn't invest in another.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
It Bites
March 9, 2021, 8:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,162
Gold Stars: 264
The same people making the same mistakes over and over again . Then we had some fans who actually supported this by donating money to a football club that didn't need it . As Many of you have pointed out already Mr Fenty knows how to run a business . The mentality runs very deep in this club and unless the new owners do a clean sweep then nothing will change
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
buckstown
March 9, 2021, 8:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
My instincts are that JF thought our time in the conference was a success, in fact I think he may even have said as much
Winning more than losing
Same gates, lower wages
Money spinning Wembley appearances
Making a profit and repaying loans
JF being a big fish in a small pond
If true, puts the last 16 years into perspective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
moosey_club
March 9, 2021, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
That Buckstown is true.
Problem is as a business the club probably did make money and gain more exposure as a non league club than it did being perennial strugglers at the bottom of League Two.......in a rather shortsighted way....

The loss of League monies, the knock on effect of not funding the academy , reducing backroom staff over those seasons just undermined our long term future once we returned and the annual press release of " a competitive budget" being set just says all you need to know about the mentality. Not a penny spent in speculating to accumulate.

Those hard seasons in non league, the rallying of the support, the bonding of the team Hurst built all destroyed in a flash by expecting a manager with a "competitive budget" but no extra staff to compete in a Division we hadnt kept up with in soo many ways.

Releasing so many of the squad the fans had built a rapport/affinity with before we put the season tickets on sale, raising the prices after the O.P efforts, budget and staff not on a par with your rivals.

Hopefully that John@gtfc e-mail account will soon get automatic replies "John is no longer associated with GTFC"

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How has this been allowed to happen?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.