Reply: 10 - 35
Bigdog
March 6, 2021, 6:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'm going to try and be as politely objective as I can. Was happy with the team selection, so can't complain about that. I've been calling for Hewitt to play instead of Waterfall for weeks. Even though we lost, we looked much better back there and it helped us by playing a higher line. I thought the first half was even, our equaliser was gifted as was their penalty by the ref. I've seen 99% of refs without VAR not give a pen for such minimal contact, but FGR know how to appeal for everything. We should be more like that because it works, it picks up points and moves you higher up the table when there's a weak ref, and there's plenty of them in this league. The substitution was a defining point. Even though he gave a couple of balls away early and he was singled out by JT and Crofty in a Gibsonesque way,, El Mizouni was lively, good movement, cutting inside and picking up or chasing down flicks from Hanson and LJL. The FGR defenders had to keep an eye on him which gave our two forwards a bit more time and space. I also thought he linked up quite well with Coke and Matete offering another pass option. That relative threat disappeared and the FGR defence had less to occupy themselves with after the crass Bunney substitution. Why not keep it the same and bring Adams on? Why not wait until after half time? One, to see if El Mizouni could recover with extended treatment, and two, to give himself time to process thoughts? Ok, the wing back put in one or two dangerous crosses, but we were putting them in too. PH has to realise any team cannot nullify every single threat and sometimes the sacrifice of attacking threat isn't worth it. The second defining point was that a few of our players just ran out of gas, LJL, Morais, Habergham and Bunney in particular, and we also brought on a forward that no longer has the ability or confidence to even control the simplest of balls to him. Thought Coke looked decent, strong, combative, shrewd with his distribution, Matete did ok but was hindered by the booking and the front two were a handful first half. Hendrie and Menayese were the stand outs, but we are where we are. FGR deserved their win due to their second half performance, outperforming a side that has been cobbled together on a shoestring, full of older injury prone players lacking 90 minute fitness, ex-League players having one last go as their lower pyramid clubs aren't completing their seasons and loanee players from the lower leagues deemed not good enough to play for our peers. It was better than Tuesday and I've still got a little hope left in me. I'm not letting the fat lady sing yet, but.. whatever league we're in next season, we've got to change as a club from top to botton, At the top of that long list is how we scout and recruit players and along with that is how we can improve our infrastructure to make us a much more attractive proposition for potential new signings. Everything matters, right down to the minutest detail, those much needed huge gains and tiny marginal ones too win points on a Saturday afternoon..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Hagrid
Williams wouldnt help this team

I wanna know why lamy wasnt in the team

James in GT said injured

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm going to try and be as politely pragmatic as I can. Was happy with the team selection, so can't complain about that. I've been calling for Hewitt to play instead of Waterfall for weeks. Even though we lost, we looked much better back there and it helped us by playing a higher line. I thought the first half was even, our equaliser was gifted as was their penalty by the ref. I've seen 99% of refs without VAR not give a pen for such minimal contact, but FGR know how to appeal for everything. We should be more like that because it works, it picks up points and moves you higher up the table when there's a weak ref, and there's plenty of them in this league. The substitution was a defining point. Even though he gave a couple of balls away early and he was singled out by JF and Crofty in a Gibsonesque way,, El Mizouni was lively, good movement, cutting inside and picking up or chasing down flicks from Hanson and LJL. The FGR defenders had to keep an eye on him which gave our two forwards a bit more time and space. I also thought he linked up quite well with Coke and Matete offering another pass option. That relative threat disappeared and the FGR defence had less to occupy themselves with after the crass Bunney substitution. Why not keep it the same and bring Adams on? Why not wait until after half time? One, to see if El Mizouni could recover with extended treatment, and two, to give himself time to process thoughts? Ok, the wing back put in one or two dangerous crosses, but we were putting them in too. PH has to realise any team cannot nullify every single threat and sometimes the sacrifice of attacking threat isn't worth it. The second defining point was that a few of our players just ran out of gas, LJL, Morais, Habergham and Bunney in particular, and we also brought on a forward that no longer has the ability or confidence to even control the simplest of balls to him. Thought Coke looked decent, strong, combative, shrewd with his distribution, Matete did ok but was hindered by the booking and the front two were a handful first half. Hendrie and Menayese were the stand outs, but we are where we are. FGR deserved their win due to their second half performance, outperforming a side that has been cobbled together on a shoestring, full of older injury prone players lacking 90 minute fitness, ex-League players having one last go as their lower pyramid clubs aren't completing their seasons and loanee players from the lower leagues deemed not good enough to play for our peers. It was better than Tuesday and I've still got a little hope left in me. I'm not letting the fat lady sing yet, but.. whatever league we're in next season, we've got to change as a club from top to botton, At the top of that long list is how we scout and recruit players and along with that is how we can improve our infrastructure to make us a much more attractive proposition for potential new signings. Everything matters, right down to the minutest detail, those much needed huge gains and tiny marginal ones too win points on a Saturday afternoon..

What you are basically saying is change a bunch of amateurs into a fluent professional set up

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Don't know why both Bunney and Williams were on the bench never mind playing

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
ginnywings
March 6, 2021, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm going to try and be as politely pragmatic as I can. Was happy with the team selection, so can't complain about that. I've been calling for Hewitt to play instead of Waterfall for weeks. Even though we lost, we looked much better back there and it helped us by playing a higher line. I thought the first half was even, our equaliser was gifted as was their penalty by the ref. I've seen 99% of refs without VAR not give a pen for such minimal contact, but FGR know how to appeal for everything. We should be more like that because it works, it picks up points and moves you higher up the table when there's a weak ref, and there's plenty of them in this league. The substitution was a defining point. Even though he gave a couple of balls away early and he was singled out by JF and Crofty in a Gibsonesque way,, El Mizouni was lively, good movement, cutting inside and picking up or chasing down flicks from Hanson and LJL. The FGR defenders had to keep an eye on him which gave our two forwards a bit more time and space. I also thought he linked up quite well with Coke and Matete offering another pass option. That relative threat disappeared and the FGR defence had less to occupy themselves with after the crass Bunney substitution. Why not keep it the same and bring Adams on? Why not wait until after half time? One, to see if El Mizouni could recover with extended treatment, and two, to give himself time to process thoughts? Ok, the wing back put in one or two dangerous crosses, but we were putting them in too. PH has to realise any team cannot nullify every single threat and sometimes the sacrifice of attacking threat isn't worth it. The second defining point was that a few of our players just ran out of gas, LJL, Morais, Habergham and Bunney in particular, and we also brought on a forward that no longer has the ability or confidence to even control the simplest of balls to him. Thought Coke looked decent, strong, combative, shrewd with his distribution, Matete did ok but was hindered by the booking and the front two were a handful first half. Hendrie and Menayese were the stand outs, but we are where we are. FGR deserved their win due to their second half performance, outperforming a side that has been cobbled together on a shoestring, full of older injury prone players lacking 90 minute fitness, ex-League players having one last go as their lower pyramid clubs aren't completing their seasons and loanee players from the lower leagues deemed not good enough to play for our peers. It was better than Tuesday and I've still got a little hope left in me. I'm not letting the fat lady sing yet, but.. whatever league we're in next season, we've got to change as a club from top to botton, At the top of that long list is how we scout and recruit players and along with that is how we can improve our infrastructure to make us a much more attractive proposition for potential new signings. Everything matters, right down to the minutest detail, those much needed huge gains and tiny marginal ones too win points on a Saturday afternoon..

Thanks for the summary. Makes a refreshing change to read something without all the doom and gloom ranting. We are losing by the odd goal and it's frustrating because we are close to one or two results by the sound of it.

At the end of the day, it was a team at the top end of the league beating the bottom side by the odd goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
grimsby pete
March 6, 2021, 6:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I did not expect us to get anything from today's game.

BUT

The season as a whole must be as bad as I have seen in 66 years.

Who is to blame ? Well it's been a combined effort starting with recruitment in the summer.

Enough has been said about Fenty and runaway so I will just concentrate on the now.

Hurst took over a mess his words and I agree with him.

BUT

He has had long enough to get his methods over to the new players he has brought in.

One win one draw and is it eight defeats ? Is not good enough the national league looks like it will complete the season now so that will not save us.

So the only way we might save our league place is by getting more points than two other teams.

Honestly I can not see that happening but we always live in hope .

Only 15 games left now and we can not say any of them is an easy 3 points so I am looking at us being non league again.

What can we do to change things well I have no idea and neither does Hurst I would imagine.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
Northbank Mariner
March 6, 2021, 6:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from ginnywings

Thanks for the summary. Makes a refreshing change to read something without all the doom and gloom ranting. We are losing by the odd goal and it's frustrating because we are close to one or two results by the sound of it.

At the end of the day, it was a team at the top end of the league beating the bottom side by the odd goal.

Not having that Ginny.
They have just been stuffed 3-0 by Southend, a team one place above us!..
We can't keep losing by the "odd" goal and think that's good enough...
The only half positive I could take out of today is I do think that's the best back 4 we've had all season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Ginny I am positive but less than 2 shots on goal 1st half, 3 if that 2nd half doesn't give me much hope tonight. Monday/Tuesday I may perk up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I did not expect us to get anything from today's game.

BUT

The season as a whole must be as bad as I have seen in 66 years.

Who is to blame ? Well it's been a combined effort starting with recruitment in the summer.

Enough has been said about Fenty and runaway so I will just concentrate on the now.

Hurst took over a mess his words and I agree with him.

BUT

He has had long enough to get his methods over to the new players he has brought in.

One win one draw and is it eight defeats ? Is not good enough the national league looks like it will complete the season now so that will not save us.

So the only way we might save our league place is by getting more points than two other teams.

Honestly I can not see that happening but we always live in hope .

Only 15 games left now and we can not say any of them is an easy 3 points so I am looking at us being non league again.

What can we do to change things well I have no idea and neither does Hurst I would imagine.

For your accurate summary of our position you get a gold star

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.