4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
DB
March 6, 2021, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,950
Gold Stars: 386
I received a perfect cross from the right from the wife, perfectly placed in front of me. Worked well up top and relieved the pressure. It oused pleasure as it hit the back of my throat. The first goal of red wine to be followed by more.

Anybody else got anything better to nil the pain. I am willing to help, Guiness, bitter, lager, whisky, brandy noting is a problem.

On a serious note were in the sh!t.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Yossarian
March 6, 2021, 5:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
I' trying to remember a more crap season.

I've been watching town since early 80s.....  this is shocking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Yossarian
I' trying to remember a more crap season.

I've been watching town since early 80s.....  this is shocking.

Shocking sounds like a compliment. I'm just having another slurp.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
moosey_club
March 6, 2021, 6:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,180
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from DB
I received a perfect cross from the right from the wife, perfectly placed in front of me. Worked well up top and relieved the pressure. It oused pleasure as it hit the back of my throat. The first goal of red wine to be followed by more.

Anybody else got anything better to nil the pain. I am willing to help, Guiness, bitter, lager, whisky, brandy noting is a problem.

On a serious note were in the sh!t.

Well you've changed your tune Mr Positivity  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
sonofmadeleymariner
March 6, 2021, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
excrement ref didn't help peno that never was and a goal you could say the offside man could of had that struck off as well, but we only created 1 shot on target and that was the goal in 90mins.

Nothing Eastwood could do today a peno and a goal that bounced right in front of him.

Defence actualy looked solid today and much improved (not hard over the last couple I know, but still).

Coke might as well of not been on the pitch rarely mentioned and if he was supposed to be doing a sheilding roll I didn't see it, Metete as always looked to be creative but once again getting booked early and maybe lucky not to get himself sent off. El Mizouni is not a winger and we know that it would be unfair to say he had a bad game when out of position lets just say ineffective.

Captain Shop and Hanson looked a handful linked up well and with better service from having 2 proper wingers on not just one a CM and then a Left Back.

Hurst strange, negative and late subs as always pointless and ineffective. instead of an attack tricky winger he chose to make the Parslow manoeuvre 15 minutes early, bringing on a 4 goal a season striker on for arguably our best player on the pitch then a desperate throw of the dice when it was far too late.

Did I miss anything? Its hard to be motivated to watch the midweek game at the moment.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Well you've changed your tune Mr Positivity  

But it's not the day before the match, and the the last die of the maths have not been cast. But I do recognise bad management when I see it, just like brining Bunney on. Still on a positive note the red wine is very good for dulling the brain. Might need a second bottle!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
excrement ref didn't help peno that never was and a goal you could say the offside man could of had that struck off as well, but we only created 1 shot on target and that was the goal in 90mins.

Nothing Eastwood could do today a peno and a goal that bounced right in front of him.

Defence actualy looked solid today and much improved (not hard over the last couple I know, but still).

Coke might as well of not been on the pitch rarely mentioned and if he was supposed to be doing a sheilding roll I didn't see it, Metete as always looked to be creative but once again getting booked early and maybe lucky not to get himself sent off. El Mizouni is not a winger and we know that it would be unfair to say he had a bad game when out of position lets just say ineffective.

Captain Shop and Hanson looked a handful linked up well and with better service from having 2 proper wingers on not just one a CM and then a Left Back.

Hurst strange, negative and late subs as always pointless and ineffective. instead of an attack tricky winger he chose to make the Parslow manoeuvre 15 minutes early, bringing on a 4 goal a season striker on for arguably our best player on the pitch then a desperate throw of the dice when it was far too late.

Did I miss anything? Its hard to be motivated to watch the midweek game at the moment.

How many fingers do I need to count the number of shoots on goal in the first half, and game as a total. Should I use my other hand as well, and before you say it I am not a masturbater..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
Eastendmariner
March 6, 2021, 6:20pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
The highlights from Town v Huddersfield tape goes on to numb the pain and a  large amount of alcohol

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
ska face
March 6, 2021, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,514
Gold Stars: 831
Quoted from Steve Richards
Watched FGR pass and play football watched us hoof it! Bunny left wing ??? Scannell or Williams surely would be so much better if only Hurst wasn’t so committed to playing his own team. Saying that what is the point of any midfield when either the defenders are encouraged to or aren’t capable of anything more than hoofing it up the pitch. Dreadful!!!

Williams trains with this lot in front of Hurst all week. Probably says more about him than anyone else if he can’t force his way in?
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
Madeleymariner
March 6, 2021, 6:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Sat in bath with a glass of red wine trying get some positivity but all I can think of is will wife of bring me another glass if I run out and I get the feeling that the answer will be no
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
Hagrid
March 6, 2021, 6:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,323
Gold Stars: 526
Williams wouldnt help this team

I wanna know why lamy wasnt in the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
Bigdog
March 6, 2021, 6:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'm going to try and be as politely objective as I can. Was happy with the team selection, so can't complain about that. I've been calling for Hewitt to play instead of Waterfall for weeks. Even though we lost, we looked much better back there and it helped us by playing a higher line. I thought the first half was even, our equaliser was gifted as was their penalty by the ref. I've seen 99% of refs without VAR not give a pen for such minimal contact, but FGR know how to appeal for everything. We should be more like that because it works, it picks up points and moves you higher up the table when there's a weak ref, and there's plenty of them in this league. The substitution was a defining point. Even though he gave a couple of balls away early and he was singled out by JT and Crofty in a Gibsonesque way,, El Mizouni was lively, good movement, cutting inside and picking up or chasing down flicks from Hanson and LJL. The FGR defenders had to keep an eye on him which gave our two forwards a bit more time and space. I also thought he linked up quite well with Coke and Matete offering another pass option. That relative threat disappeared and the FGR defence had less to occupy themselves with after the crass Bunney substitution. Why not keep it the same and bring Adams on? Why not wait until after half time? One, to see if El Mizouni could recover with extended treatment, and two, to give himself time to process thoughts? Ok, the wing back put in one or two dangerous crosses, but we were putting them in too. PH has to realise any team cannot nullify every single threat and sometimes the sacrifice of attacking threat isn't worth it. The second defining point was that a few of our players just ran out of gas, LJL, Morais, Habergham and Bunney in particular, and we also brought on a forward that no longer has the ability or confidence to even control the simplest of balls to him. Thought Coke looked decent, strong, combative, shrewd with his distribution, Matete did ok but was hindered by the booking and the front two were a handful first half. Hendrie and Menayese were the stand outs, but we are where we are. FGR deserved their win due to their second half performance, outperforming a side that has been cobbled together on a shoestring, full of older injury prone players lacking 90 minute fitness, ex-League players having one last go as their lower pyramid clubs aren't completing their seasons and loanee players from the lower leagues deemed not good enough to play for our peers. It was better than Tuesday and I've still got a little hope left in me. I'm not letting the fat lady sing yet, but.. whatever league we're in next season, we've got to change as a club from top to botton, At the top of that long list is how we scout and recruit players and along with that is how we can improve our infrastructure to make us a much more attractive proposition for potential new signings. Everything matters, right down to the minutest detail, those much needed huge gains and tiny marginal ones too win points on a Saturday afternoon..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Williams wouldnt help this team

I wanna know why lamy wasnt in the team

James in GT said injured

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm going to try and be as politely pragmatic as I can. Was happy with the team selection, so can't complain about that. I've been calling for Hewitt to play instead of Waterfall for weeks. Even though we lost, we looked much better back there and it helped us by playing a higher line. I thought the first half was even, our equaliser was gifted as was their penalty by the ref. I've seen 99% of refs without VAR not give a pen for such minimal contact, but FGR know how to appeal for everything. We should be more like that because it works, it picks up points and moves you higher up the table when there's a weak ref, and there's plenty of them in this league. The substitution was a defining point. Even though he gave a couple of balls away early and he was singled out by JF and Crofty in a Gibsonesque way,, El Mizouni was lively, good movement, cutting inside and picking up or chasing down flicks from Hanson and LJL. The FGR defenders had to keep an eye on him which gave our two forwards a bit more time and space. I also thought he linked up quite well with Coke and Matete offering another pass option. That relative threat disappeared and the FGR defence had less to occupy themselves with after the crass Bunney substitution. Why not keep it the same and bring Adams on? Why not wait until after half time? One, to see if El Mizouni could recover with extended treatment, and two, to give himself time to process thoughts? Ok, the wing back put in one or two dangerous crosses, but we were putting them in too. PH has to realise any team cannot nullify every single threat and sometimes the sacrifice of attacking threat isn't worth it. The second defining point was that a few of our players just ran out of gas, LJL, Morais, Habergham and Bunney in particular, and we also brought on a forward that no longer has the ability or confidence to even control the simplest of balls to him. Thought Coke looked decent, strong, combative, shrewd with his distribution, Matete did ok but was hindered by the booking and the front two were a handful first half. Hendrie and Menayese were the stand outs, but we are where we are. FGR deserved their win due to their second half performance, outperforming a side that has been cobbled together on a shoestring, full of older injury prone players lacking 90 minute fitness, ex-League players having one last go as their lower pyramid clubs aren't completing their seasons and loanee players from the lower leagues deemed not good enough to play for our peers. It was better than Tuesday and I've still got a little hope left in me. I'm not letting the fat lady sing yet, but.. whatever league we're in next season, we've got to change as a club from top to botton, At the top of that long list is how we scout and recruit players and along with that is how we can improve our infrastructure to make us a much more attractive proposition for potential new signings. Everything matters, right down to the minutest detail, those much needed huge gains and tiny marginal ones too win points on a Saturday afternoon..

What you are basically saying is change a bunch of amateurs into a fluent professional set up

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Don't know why both Bunney and Williams were on the bench never mind playing

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
ginnywings
March 6, 2021, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog
I'm going to try and be as politely pragmatic as I can. Was happy with the team selection, so can't complain about that. I've been calling for Hewitt to play instead of Waterfall for weeks. Even though we lost, we looked much better back there and it helped us by playing a higher line. I thought the first half was even, our equaliser was gifted as was their penalty by the ref. I've seen 99% of refs without VAR not give a pen for such minimal contact, but FGR know how to appeal for everything. We should be more like that because it works, it picks up points and moves you higher up the table when there's a weak ref, and there's plenty of them in this league. The substitution was a defining point. Even though he gave a couple of balls away early and he was singled out by JF and Crofty in a Gibsonesque way,, El Mizouni was lively, good movement, cutting inside and picking up or chasing down flicks from Hanson and LJL. The FGR defenders had to keep an eye on him which gave our two forwards a bit more time and space. I also thought he linked up quite well with Coke and Matete offering another pass option. That relative threat disappeared and the FGR defence had less to occupy themselves with after the crass Bunney substitution. Why not keep it the same and bring Adams on? Why not wait until after half time? One, to see if El Mizouni could recover with extended treatment, and two, to give himself time to process thoughts? Ok, the wing back put in one or two dangerous crosses, but we were putting them in too. PH has to realise any team cannot nullify every single threat and sometimes the sacrifice of attacking threat isn't worth it. The second defining point was that a few of our players just ran out of gas, LJL, Morais, Habergham and Bunney in particular, and we also brought on a forward that no longer has the ability or confidence to even control the simplest of balls to him. Thought Coke looked decent, strong, combative, shrewd with his distribution, Matete did ok but was hindered by the booking and the front two were a handful first half. Hendrie and Menayese were the stand outs, but we are where we are. FGR deserved their win due to their second half performance, outperforming a side that has been cobbled together on a shoestring, full of older injury prone players lacking 90 minute fitness, ex-League players having one last go as their lower pyramid clubs aren't completing their seasons and loanee players from the lower leagues deemed not good enough to play for our peers. It was better than Tuesday and I've still got a little hope left in me. I'm not letting the fat lady sing yet, but.. whatever league we're in next season, we've got to change as a club from top to botton, At the top of that long list is how we scout and recruit players and along with that is how we can improve our infrastructure to make us a much more attractive proposition for potential new signings. Everything matters, right down to the minutest detail, those much needed huge gains and tiny marginal ones too win points on a Saturday afternoon..

Thanks for the summary. Makes a refreshing change to read something without all the doom and gloom ranting. We are losing by the odd goal and it's frustrating because we are close to one or two results by the sound of it.

At the end of the day, it was a team at the top end of the league beating the bottom side by the odd goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
grimsby pete
March 6, 2021, 6:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I did not expect us to get anything from today's game.

BUT

The season as a whole must be as bad as I have seen in 66 years.

Who is to blame ? Well it's been a combined effort starting with recruitment in the summer.

Enough has been said about Fenty and runaway so I will just concentrate on the now.

Hurst took over a mess his words and I agree with him.

BUT

He has had long enough to get his methods over to the new players he has brought in.

One win one draw and is it eight defeats ? Is not good enough the national league looks like it will complete the season now so that will not save us.

So the only way we might save our league place is by getting more points than two other teams.

Honestly I can not see that happening but we always live in hope .

Only 15 games left now and we can not say any of them is an easy 3 points so I am looking at us being non league again.

What can we do to change things well I have no idea and neither does Hurst I would imagine.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
Northbank Mariner
March 6, 2021, 6:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from ginnywings

Thanks for the summary. Makes a refreshing change to read something without all the doom and gloom ranting. We are losing by the odd goal and it's frustrating because we are close to one or two results by the sound of it.

At the end of the day, it was a team at the top end of the league beating the bottom side by the odd goal.

Not having that Ginny.
They have just been stuffed 3-0 by Southend, a team one place above us!..
We can't keep losing by the "odd" goal and think that's good enough...
The only half positive I could take out of today is I do think that's the best back 4 we've had all season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Ginny I am positive but less than 2 shots on goal 1st half, 3 if that 2nd half doesn't give me much hope tonight. Monday/Tuesday I may perk up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I did not expect us to get anything from today's game.

BUT

The season as a whole must be as bad as I have seen in 66 years.

Who is to blame ? Well it's been a combined effort starting with recruitment in the summer.

Enough has been said about Fenty and runaway so I will just concentrate on the now.

Hurst took over a mess his words and I agree with him.

BUT

He has had long enough to get his methods over to the new players he has brought in.

One win one draw and is it eight defeats ? Is not good enough the national league looks like it will complete the season now so that will not save us.

So the only way we might save our league place is by getting more points than two other teams.

Honestly I can not see that happening but we always live in hope .

Only 15 games left now and we can not say any of them is an easy 3 points so I am looking at us being non league again.

What can we do to change things well I have no idea and neither does Hurst I would imagine.

For your accurate summary of our position you get a gold star

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Not having that Ginny.
They have just been stuffed 3-0 by Southend, a team one place above us!..
We can't keep losing by the "odd" goal and think that's good enough...
The only half positive I could take out of today is I do think that's the best back 4 we've had all season .

I'm with you Northbank, fed up of excuses, followed by more excuse

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
TAGG
March 6, 2021, 6:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 123
Thank fook I'm at work next Tuesday and Saturday and the phone signal not good enough to be able to watch on me phone.
I can't stand many more days like this one.
I wish the season would stop today.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
forza ivano
March 6, 2021, 7:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

i willl add to Bigdog's excellent post, if i may, as someone who has accepted relegation and who is now watching games quite dispassionately. we lost and i just shrugged my shoulders, the anger having left me after the Stevenage debacle.
I also accept that we are coming from a very low standard , having been lucky not to get stuffed in the last 3 games.
In all fairness that was a much better performance with nobody having a bad game
EASTWOOD - carried on with his same level of competency, and he's definitely improved us
HENDRIE - looked much like his old self and there's quite a promising partnership with Morais
MEYANESE  - started terribly, but he's looking quite useful in the last 2 games. If he keeps this up i wouldn't be unhappy to see him with us in the conference
HEWITT - excellent, his pace made us look a lot less fragile and he puts in lots of good blocks, his distribution is marginally better than Waterfall's as well
HARBEGHAM - still not up to full speed, but better than he was a month ago and sooo much better than Bunney.Again if he can get fitter and stay free of injury i'm sure he will be more than good enough for the Conference
EL MIZOUNI - still not over enamoured with him, but he was doing ok until his injury (well, slightly better than he has been!)
MATETE - v. lucky to stay on the pitch , but he is still our bright spark. Think he can have a successful career in front of him; he's got something about him
COKE - i think he probably had a very good game and along with Hewitt was the main reason we looked much stronger defensively. there certainly wasn't the defensive fragility that we've seen so much this season. I'd be interested in what Tommy (who sees these things better than me) thought. if only he wasn't 34 and injury prone i'd be happy to keep him
MORAIS - the only one to have an average game, but it looked like they doubled up on him
HANSON - best game so far this season , looked fitter and motivated and certainly occupied their defenders , unlike any of our other strikers this season. Like Morais & Coke you fear that their injuries and age will preclude them from beinga major influence next season
THE SHOP - him and Hanson made for the only real attacking threat we've had all season.Responded to the captaincy superbly, shame he was responsible for the penalty. definite starter for next games. can he still do it for next season at 32?

in conclusion the formation looked right, there was good effort and the players looked more comfortable and organised. Only worry is that all that being equal , the team is still not good enough to compete with the majority of teams in this league.
My other slight concern is that with the team's confidence being shot, we will learn very little as to who can do a real good job in non league next season
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
DB
March 6, 2021, 8:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

i willl add to Bigdog's excellent post, if i may, as someone who has accepted relegation and who is now watching games quite dispassionately. we lost and i just shrugged my shoulders, the anger having left me after the Stevenage debacle.
I also accept that we are coming from a very low standard , having been lucky not to get stuffed in the last 3 games.
In all fairness that was a much better performance with nobody having a bad game
EASTWOOD - carried on with his same level of competency, and he's definitely improved us
HENDRIE - looked much like his old self and there's quite a promising partnership with Morais
MEYANESE  - started terribly, but he's looking quite useful in the last 2 games. If he keeps this up i wouldn't be unhappy to see him with us in the conference
HEWITT - excellent, his pace made us look a lot less fragile and he puts in lots of good blocks, his distribution is marginally better than Waterfall's as well
HARBEGHAM - still not up to full speed, but better than he was a month ago and sooo much better than Bunney.Again if he can get fitter and stay free of injury i'm sure he will be more than good enough for the Conference
EL MIZOUNI - still not over enamoured with him, but he was doing ok until his injury (well, slightly better than he has been!)
MATETE - v. lucky to stay on the pitch , but he is still our bright spark. Think he can have a successful career in front of him; he's got something about him
COKE - i think he probably had a very good game and along with Hewitt was the main reason we looked much stronger defensively. there certainly wasn't the defensive fragility that we've seen so much this season. I'd be interested in what Tommy (who sees these things better than me) thought. if only he wasn't 34 and injury prone i'd be happy to keep him
MORAIS - the only one to have an average game, but it looked like they doubled up on him
HANSON - best game so far this season , looked fitter and motivated and certainly occupied their defenders , unlike any of our other strikers this season. Like Morais & Coke you fear that their injuries and age will preclude them from beinga major influence next season
THE SHOP - him and Hanson made for the only real attacking threat we've had all season.Responded to the captaincy superbly, shame he was responsible for the penalty. definite starter for next games. can he still do it for next season at 32?

in conclusion the formation looked right, there was good effort and the players looked more comfortable and organised. Only worry is that all that being equal , the team is still not good enough to compete with the majority of teams in this league.
My other slight concern is that with the team's confidence being shot, we will learn very little as to who can do a real good job in non league next season

Well as I've said I'm not accepting relegation until the maths say so. I do however agree with what you have said but where is the leader on the pitch. The one that tells the others what to do. I've lost count on the number of captains we've had on the pitch, 2 today!

I've not lost hope but everything is so mediocre, as if they are going through the motions. Hursts post match interview seemed to highlight that too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
HertsGTFC
March 6, 2021, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,890
Gold Stars: 225
On reflection the players did put in the effort, the shape worked better and if it was 2 months ago I’d probably be getting more excited about Lenny up front with Hanson.

What did concern me though was Coke & Matette. Coke is obviously very short on minutes looks immobile and Matatte who clearly has talent looked casual at times and when we’re not in possession I’m not sure he knows what to do, check out the build up to their second goal. All that said I could see them playing together as Coke’s experience might help Mattette get forward more which is one of the things missing.

I think we’re too far gone but at lest today I could see what we where trying to do.

Again though there was some odd decisions by the ref and I’m sorry to say the manager. Bunny on instead of Adam’s? Two up front & no Lamy at all?

I actually think we’ll pick up a few points in the remaining games but nothing I saw today tells me it will be anywhere near what we’ll need.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
arryarryarry
March 6, 2021, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
I thought as a team performance that was the best for a long while.

That was never a penalty for me it looked like Jamille twit tripped over the grass and the ref was conned by the screams of the FGR players who I thought were the biggest bunch of shits we have seen for some time especially Elliot Shithouse who ran around screaming like a banshee trying to get the ref to book our players.

So overall maybe we deserved a point as I didn't think FGR were that good.

However nothing I saw changed my mind about relegation, I think we could go down 10 or more points below the other team to drop with us, I don't think we had a second effort on target the whole game.

As for Paul Hurst, WTF was he thinking bringing Bunney on, might as well have played with 10 men. That was a Parslow moment for me, first time in a while playing two strikers we were crying out for someone wide to get decent balls into the box.

If we do go down I don't really want any of the current squad or manager here next season.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
Tommy
March 7, 2021, 9:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Still good to have a "Just Back" thread isn't it? Despite no-one literally being just back from the game. Just a thread to read mostly sensible summaries of the game or performances, separated a little bit from the emotion and without the frustration involved in watching GTFC at the moment.

I didn't watch on the game yesterday. For the first time in a while. Purposely arranged to collect something at a time that meant I'd miss most of the game so that I wouldn't be tempted to pay another £10 to end up in a foul mood 2 hours later.

Interesting to read different, conflicting reviews of Coke and El Mizouni's performances from different posters.

Re: the Bunney substitution - I get that some are saying that Bunney also plays left midfield. But has he really actually played left midfield, or is this just one of those were, because he played there for 10 minutes once in a pre-season friendly, he's then described by club website profiles as a "versatile full back who can also play left midfield etc etc."

I've not listened to PH's post match interview, but was there a reason Lamy wasn't in the squad? I'd have had him starting after he made a positive impact coming off the bench on Tuesday, and if not starting he'd have surely been the best option to come on for El Miz yesterday.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
RonMariner
March 7, 2021, 9:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,533
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Eastendmariner
The highlights from Town v Huddersfield tape goes on to numb the pain and a  large amount of alcohol

Was that the 'You will never see a better goal on any pitch anywhere in the world.' game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Stew0_0
March 7, 2021, 10:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Some observations from Saturday.  Eastwood, despite conceding 2 goals looks better still than Macca. Defensively i thought a defence partnership of Hewitt and Menayese did well in general, which is tough for me to say as i am a huge Pollock fan. I think as a general rule in modern day football you need a back line with decent pace and unfortunately Waterfall and pollock just dont have that. Nsiala for all his faults and well publicised 2 glaring errors per game often was quick enough to get back and attone for his mistake. With Waterfall and Pollock, a simple dinked ball over the top and they are either too slow to turn or track back to clear. Stevenage's injury time winner against as a prime example.
We look more solid with Hendrie back at RB and he offers something going forward with his crossing. Habergham also on the left is a by far better option to Bunney who to me has been a strange signing.
Midfield. Can someone tell me what Coke offers, especially at the expense of Rose. I watched him carefully on Saturday and he didnt play 1 single pass forwards and he is contributing to the lack of chances being created. Matete aside we are very poor in centre midfield and am actually looking forward to Clifton returning for at least a bit of industry and endeavour. I also dont like this lob-sided midfield with 1 winger and as El Mizouni is to be on the sidelines for a while would like to see Adams or Lamy playing as another winger.
Up front. As much as Hanson and John Lewis worked hard we still miss a poacher/fox in the box striker and will probably have to do till next season.
Again as been mentioned i still want Hurst to be braver. Adams instead of Bunney on Saturday was key as we were well in that game until they got the 2nd goal. At home, crowd or not, we should have gone for the win, not preventing their right back get up the pitch.
3 very narrow defeats suggests we are competing and not far away from a victory soon. Stick to the team we played on Saturday with Adams in for Idris and lets go at Carlisle on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
forza ivano
March 8, 2021, 6:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Tommy
Still good to have a "Just Back" thread isn't it? Despite no-one literally being just back from the game. Just a thread to read mostly sensible summaries of the game or performances, separated a little bit from the emotion and without the frustration involved in watching GTFC at the moment.

I didn't watch on the game yesterday. For the first time in a while. Purposely arranged to collect something at a time that meant I'd miss most of the game so that I wouldn't be tempted to pay another £10 to end up in a foul mood 2 hours later.

Interesting to read different, conflicting reviews of Coke and El Mizouni's performances from different posters.

Re: the Bunney substitution - I get that some are saying that Bunney also plays left midfield. But has he really actually played left midfield, or is this just one of those were, because he played there for 10 minutes once in a pre-season friendly, he's then described by club website profiles as a "versatile full back who can also play left midfield etc etc."

I've not listened to PH's post match interview, but was there a reason Lamy wasn't in the squad? I'd have had him starting after he made a positive impact coming off the bench on Tuesday, and if not starting he'd have surely been the best option to come on for El Miz yesterday.

Lamy was injured apparently. Bunney has played left wing and up front.He has scored alot of goals, particularly in non league.Have alook at his you tube videos.You won't believe it's the same player
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
diehardmariner
March 8, 2021, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,359
Gold Stars: 531
After the previous two displays I'd convinced myself we were down.  But I still started to get that feeling of optimism as 3pm drew closer and when the team was announced I think I actually felt slightly confident.  Hope that kills you, eh?

Thought we started ok.  It was basic and a bit agricultural at times with lots of long balls forward to the two strong lads up top but we were more than matching FGR.  At the back we look loads better for having two lads in the centre who can move, despite a lot of concerns I saw in how they would handle Matt they did really well.

Penalty was sloppy and summed the display of the ref up.  Easily intimidated by the shithousery of FGR but rather than blame the ref I think we need to look at why we're so weak at this.  In an ideal world we don't want to even acknowledge this side of the game, certainly from a purist perspective.  But it's there, it exists and we're dreadful at it.  I've said it so many times but we've not replaced Mitch Rose as someone who has that ability to wind players up, get in their minds and affect performances.  We're far, far too nice.  

Performance wise I don't think anyone did anything wrong.  The back four were fine, Eastwood too.  Midfield was ok.  Coke and Matete look a decent pairing, albeit I want to see Matete pushing further forward - especially if Coke is in the team as he isn't going to get forward.  Morais was a threat but was quickly identified as a threat and doubled up on.  On the other flank El Mizoni showed his glimpses but then little else.  I'm not really sure what his position is.  He doesn't impact the game enough to be central and doesn't appear to want to be out wide.  If he was in a free role, he still doesn't do enough for my liking.  Until his injury I couldn't help think that he looks a bit lost, as in he can't cope with playing alongside players who aren't on his level.  Was a few times when he looked to make a pass ahead of his team-mate, but they were just too slow to anticipate or even react.  

The substitution was bizarre but to be completely honest I've not been massively impressed with Adams anyway so it's not like we didn't bring a world beater on.

Second half summed everything up.  Lots of huffing and puffing but getting nowhere.  Front two and Coke were dead on their feet. Matete was walking a tightrope and his head had long gone, amazed he didn't get sent off to be honest.  Crying out for changes yet Hurst waited far too long and then his first move was to bring Green on.  If I wasn't ready to mentally check out at this point, I was done when he seemed more bothered about giving Whitehouse a hug than contributing on the pitch.

I don't like highlighting players for silly things but this got to me. We're in a relegation battle, fighting for our lives.  He's contributed intercourse all on his handsome two-year contract.  He comes on and flounders about, no real urgency yet comes alive when he gets the opportunity to give a former team-mate a hug.  The same former team-mate who has acted like a shithouse all game, winding the Town players up, calling for bookings from the referee....Green can give him a hug after the game.  Not during it.  Sums his attitude up in my eyes.  Priorities all wrong.  I wanted a sub to come on at that point and do absolutely everything to a) get us a result b) send a statement as to their worth and c) even try and stake some sort of claim for a future contract, be it here or wherever.  

Incredible to think we're 2 and a half months into Hurst's second reign, he's brought in a whole new team and yet we've somehow gone backwards.  Individually I think there's improvements.  Eastwood, Menayese, Habergham, Matete, Coke, even LJL are all better than what we had...yet we're still on this downward slope.  Fenty/Holloway set the foundations this season with wet cardboard, it's costing us now.  But Hurst has tried to address that and I'm sorry to say is failing.  

Moving forward I hope we stick with two up top.  It looked a lot more like we had some sort of purpose about us.  Things stuck and LJL was a threat just from his ability to hassle and press.  It took pressure off Hanson who in turn was able to win more headers than he has for about 18 months.  But they were isolated.  Someone in midfield has to be brave and push forward and support them, hell even go beyond them.  No idea how long Max Wright is off fitness but I hope to get he's close as he could be someone with that style to work best off two bigger men up top.  It sounds so simple on paper but with a higher press of 5-10 yards from the midfield I think we would do so much better.  Putting that into practice on the pitch is clearly much harder.

It's not over.  There's still a relatively long way to go but the clock is ticking.  I can't see how we're going to get out of it.  Saturday kinda summed a lot up.  We did ok, but it's not enough.  We were dead on our feet after 60 minutes and our back up options aren't much to shout about.  
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
DB
March 8, 2021, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
After the previous two displays I'd convinced myself we were down.  But I still started to get that feeling of optimism as 3pm drew closer and when the team was announced I think I actually felt slightly confident.  Hope that kills you, eh?

Thought we started ok.  It was basic and a bit agricultural at times with lots of long balls forward to the two strong lads up top but we were more than matching FGR.  At the back we look loads better for having two lads in the centre who can move, despite a lot of concerns I saw in how they would handle Matt they did really well.

Penalty was sloppy and summed the display of the ref up.  Easily intimidated by the shithousery of FGR but rather than blame the ref I think we need to look at why we're so weak at this.  In an ideal world we don't want to even acknowledge this side of the game, certainly from a purist perspective.  But it's there, it exists and we're dreadful at it.  I've said it so many times but we've not replaced Mitch Rose as someone who has that ability to wind players up, get in their minds and affect performances.  We're far, far too nice.  

Performance wise I don't think anyone did anything wrong.  The back four were fine, Eastwood too.  Midfield was ok.  Coke and Matete look a decent pairing, albeit I want to see Matete pushing further forward - especially if Coke is in the team as he isn't going to get forward.  Morais was a threat but was quickly identified as a threat and doubled up on.  On the other flank El Mizoni showed his glimpses but then little else.  I'm not really sure what his position is.  He doesn't impact the game enough to be central and doesn't appear to want to be out wide.  If he was in a free role, he still doesn't do enough for my liking.  Until his injury I couldn't help think that he looks a bit lost, as in he can't cope with playing alongside players who aren't on his level.  Was a few times when he looked to make a pass ahead of his team-mate, but they were just too slow to anticipate or even react.  

The substitution was bizarre but to be completely honest I've not been massively impressed with Adams anyway so it's not like we didn't bring a world beater on.

Second half summed everything up.  Lots of huffing and puffing but getting nowhere.  Front two and Coke were dead on their feet. Matete was walking a tightrope and his head had long gone, amazed he didn't get sent off to be honest.  Crying out for changes yet Hurst waited far too long and then his first move was to bring Green on.  If I wasn't ready to mentally check out at this point, I was done when he seemed more bothered about giving Whitehouse a hug than contributing on the pitch.

I don't like highlighting players for silly things but this got to me. We're in a relegation battle, fighting for our lives.  He's contributed intercourse all on his handsome two-year contract.  He comes on and flounders about, no real urgency yet comes alive when he gets the opportunity to give a former team-mate a hug.  The same former team-mate who has acted like a shithouse all game, winding the Town players up, calling for bookings from the referee....Green can give him a hug after the game.  Not during it.  Sums his attitude up in my eyes.  Priorities all wrong.  I wanted a sub to come on at that point and do absolutely everything to a) get us a result b) send a statement as to their worth and c) even try and stake some sort of claim for a future contract, be it here or wherever.  

Incredible to think we're 2 and a half months into Hurst's second reign, he's brought in a whole new team and yet we've somehow gone backwards.  Individually I think there's improvements.  Eastwood, Menayese, Habergham, Matete, Coke, even LJL are all better than what we had...yet we're still on this downward slope.  Fenty/Holloway set the foundations this season with wet cardboard, it's costing us now.  But Hurst has tried to address that and I'm sorry to say is failing.  

Moving forward I hope we stick with two up top.  It looked a lot more like we had some sort of purpose about us.  Things stuck and LJL was a threat just from his ability to hassle and press.  It took pressure off Hanson who in turn was able to win more headers than he has for about 18 months.  But they were isolated.  Someone in midfield has to be brave and push forward and support them, hell even go beyond them.  No idea how long Max Wright is off fitness but I hope to get he's close as he could be someone with that style to work best off two bigger men up top.  It sounds so simple on paper but with a higher press of 5-10 yards from the midfield I think we would do so much better.  Putting that into practice on the pitch is clearly much harder.

It's not over.  There's still a relatively long way to go but the clock is ticking.  I can't see how we're going to get out of it.  Saturday kinda summed a lot up.  We did ok, but it's not enough.  We were dead on our feet after 60 minutes and our back up options aren't much to shout about.  

I agree with what you have put, it was an ok performance. The trouble is we need something better than ok and they haven't any spark, leadership from anybody. I read the excuse for Morais elsewhere, that should have given us man free on the pitch!

I know their are 2 games a week for a while but this fitness business is beyond me. 40 hour week and they have to run for an hour and a half, ok 3 hours at the moment. We are now at the last 1/3rd of the season, fitness should not be a problem given the sluggishness of the previous 3 games.

Still watching Carlisle against Morecombe gives hope for 3 points on Tuesday night.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
psgmariner
March 8, 2021, 4:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from forza ivano

Lamy was injured apparently.

Not according to Hurst.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....-lamy-bunney-5086167

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
MarinerDevil
March 8, 2021, 5:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,698
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from diehardmariner
No idea how long Max Wright is off fitness but I hope to get he's close as he could be someone with that style to work best off two bigger men up top.  

He's back in training this week according to Hurst's interview today, so hopefully he's a couple of games away.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
toontown
March 8, 2021, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Stew0_0
Some observations from Saturday.  Eastwood, despite conceding 2 goals looks better still than Macca. Defensively i thought a defence partnership of Hewitt and Menayese did well in general, which is tough for me to say as i am a huge Pollock fan. I think as a general rule in modern day football you need a back line with decent pace and unfortunately Waterfall and pollock just dont have that. Nsiala for all his faults and well publicised 2 glaring errors per game often was quick enough to get back and attone for his mistake. With Waterfall and Pollock, a simple dinked ball over the top and they are either too slow to turn or track back to clear. Stevenage's injury time winner against as a prime example.
We look more solid with Hendrie back at RB and he offers something going forward with his crossing. Habergham also on the left is a by far better option to Bunney who to me has been a strange signing.
Midfield. Can someone tell me what Coke offers, especially at the expense of Rose. I watched him carefully on Saturday and he didnt play 1 single pass forwards and he is contributing to the lack of chances being created. Matete aside we are very poor in centre midfield and am actually looking forward to Clifton returning for at least a bit of industry and endeavour. I also dont like this lob-sided midfield with 1 winger and as El Mizouni is to be on the sidelines for a while would like to see Adams or Lamy playing as another winger.
Up front. As much as Hanson and John Lewis worked hard we still miss a poacher/fox in the box striker and will probably have to do till next season.
Again as been mentioned i still want Hurst to be braver. Adams instead of Bunney on Saturday was key as we were well in that game until they got the 2nd goal. At home, crowd or not, we should have gone for the win, not preventing their right back get up the pitch.
3 very narrow defeats suggests we are competing and not far away from a victory soon. Stick to the team we played on Saturday with Adams in for Idris and lets go at Carlisle on Tuesday.

We do have a poacher style striker, its Jackson, he offers f all outside the box except work rate but he does know where the goal is. He is a bit different to our other strikers. What does Hurst do, he picks green on the bench jeeezus christ, who was just as dire and useless as ever when he came on. Seriously Hurst lost all credibility with me doing that. Anybody thinking he should bother with a youth system with Hurst in charge needs to open their eyes. Green epitomises washed up past it journeyman that offers nothing - yet Hurst still turns to him cos he is 'experienced', may as well only have 6 subs on the bench as have green there FFS
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Abdul19
March 8, 2021, 10:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,503
Gold Stars: 215
Jamille Matt became the 4th Matt to have scored more league goals at BP than Matt Green this season.

Matt(ie) Pollock leads the prestigious list with 2.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.