3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
March 4, 2021, 5:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
100% agree Rich. And it all has a knock on effect...you might say "well this is Hursts team now" but if recruitment in the summer hadn't have been so bad, we wouldn't have been in the position where we basically had to try and sign a whole new team in January and rely on signing unfit players. Not saying Hurst is completely blameless, but I do believe it was a poisoned chalice of a job.

Now look at the size of the squad...it's an absolute joke.

We completely dismantled what was an OK squad in the summer and let a load of good players leave, because we didn't want to pay any of them in the summer. Did any other team do that? We had a good base of a squad that just needed adding to. Now we've signed basically two squads since then.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
RonMariner
March 4, 2021, 6:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,682
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from sam gy
100%  Now we've signed basically two squads since then.

As my auntie always used to say...... 'Buy cheap, buy twice.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
RichMariner
March 4, 2021, 6:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I don't deny that Hurst should take some of the blame. His record since taking over is far short of what I was reasonably expecting, and I say that as a Hurst fan who was pleased to see him return.

But it's not quite as simple as 'Hurst's record is worse than Holloway's'. Holloway had all summer to recruit and was part of the board that made the decisions. You can't compare them side-by-side; Holloway had a massive advantage and he basically drunk it up the wall.

We weren't good enough under Holloway, and that was down to investment as well as his incompetence on match day. Yes, points-wise we've been worse since then, but it's not every season you have to basically recruit an entire new squad in January.

Was it wise to do that? Well, it's clear Hurst wasn't getting anything from the squad he inherited.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2021, 6:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I don’t think any of us had any confidence in the squad that Hollowords left. The points per game might have been a tad better but that included a couple of good games early on. The trajectory was downwards. We all know it and only regime diehards argue otherwise.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 6:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
We were dropping like a stone under IH anyway. We would probably have kept going in the same direction had he stayed.

Amazing how absence makes managers and players appear better than they are. He was the biggest pariah going pre Christmas, and now he is "better than Hurst".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
March 4, 2021, 7:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from sam gy
100% agree Rich. And it all has a knock on effect...you might say "well this is Hursts team now" but if recruitment in the summer hadn't have been so bad, we wouldn't have been in the position where we basically had to try and sign a whole new team in January and rely on signing unfit players. Not saying Hurst is completely blameless, but I do believe it was a poisoned chalice of a job.

Now look at the size of the squad...it's an absolute joke.

We completely dismantled what was an OK squad in the summer and let a load of good players leave, because we didn't want to pay any of them in the summer. Did any other team do that? We had a good base of a squad that just needed adding to. Now we've signed basically two squads since then.

Reply: 15 - 25
pen penfras
March 4, 2021, 8:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings
We were dropping like a stone under IH anyway. We would probably have kept going in the same direction had he stayed.

Amazing how absence makes managers and players appear better than they are. He was the biggest pariah going pre Christmas, and now he is "better than Hurst".

When Hurst starts getting some results, or gets 2 teams promoted to the Premier League, then I'll accept that he's better than Holloway. Right now, they're both excrement. We didn't need all the players that we signed. 4 or 5 good additions would have been much better than overhauling the team with a bunch of players that haven't looked much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
friskneymariner
March 4, 2021, 8:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
One answer to that question,16 years of ineptitude

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2021, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from friskneymariner
One answer to that question,16 years of ineptitude

Capped by a year of complete negligence by the “hopefully” outgoing board. They say football is a business if that was really true this f****rs would have been booted out ages ago.

“Custodians of the club” my @rse.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
Abdul19
March 4, 2021, 8:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why we are where we are

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.