Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Why we are where we are
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

Why we are where we are

This thread currently has 4,223 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2021, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
We all know why we are where we are. It’s what we’re going to do about it that matters.

I’m not being flippant but the board is being replaced, not a moment too soon, and maybe the damage is done but we need to start looking forward now.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
moosey_club
March 4, 2021, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Why we are where we are ...

Simple really

Goals for 22
Goals against 49

Season to date
W6  D6  L18

Season 2009/10
W9  D17  L20
Goals for 45
Goals Against 71

We are already looking like finishing well below the 2009/10 level on all fronts , and we know how poor that team was and what the end result was , what does that say about this seasons "squad".

Season 2009/10 -  42 players used

This season - 41 (? i think ) players used

Massive turnover of players , pretty sure we wont have an ever present in any position, there will be too many players who have played less than 15 games probably less than 10 so no consistency, understanding, partnerships developing...so in effect we havnt had a "team" at all this season.
30 games in and i think we have probably had 5 players played at left back maybe 6 ?

Just like 2009/10 we have also had two managers in a season (so far anyway     ) with completely different approaches.

We are were we are and we will be where we deserve to be come the final whistle of the season.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
arryarryarry
March 4, 2021, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
Why we are where we are ...

Simple really

Goals for 22
Goals against 49

Season to date
W6  D6  L18

Season 2009/10
W9  D17  L20
Goals for 45
Goals Against 71

We are already looking like finishing well below the 2009/10 level on all fronts , and we know how poor that team was and what the end result was , what does that say about this seasons "squad".

Season 2009/10 -  42 players used

This season - 41 (? i think ) players used

Massive turnover of players , pretty sure we wont have an ever present in any position, there will be too many players who have played less than 15 games probably less than 10 so no consistency, understanding, partnerships developing...so in effect we havnt had a "team" at all this season.
30 games in and i think we have probably had 5 players played at left back maybe 6 ?

Just like 2009/10 we have also had two managers in a season (so far anyway     ) with completely different approaches.

We are were we are and we will be where we deserve to be come the final whistle of the season.

Yep.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
RonMariner
March 4, 2021, 11:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
It's the result of inadequate investment in the playing staff over years and years.

It's not like we have had a solid core of six or seven decent players and just had to bring in a few new faces each year. we seen to have packed the squad out with endless non entities and free transfer journeymen, with wholesale squad replacement each year. Not a basis for building a squad which will progress year on year.

Yet again we are at the stage where we will need a huge clear out at the end of the season.

My hope is that the new owners will adopt a different approach and finance investment in the playing staff that will bring in good footballers.  

To be fair to Hurst the 2016 team had some pretty good players. I just hope it's not going to take four years to do it.

One thing for sure. If performances continue  to be as dire as they have been in the last few weeks, Hurst will not be here next season.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 11:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
For me, the reason we are where we are, is because after all the tears, heartaches, struggles and graft of dragging ourselves back into the EFL, the board in their wisdom never learned the lesson, failed to back PH and failed to capitalise on the momentum of getting promoted. They let him walk out the door and go to Shrewsbury for the sake of fulfilling promises that JF made.

Extra coaches don't win football matches apparently.

I can't think of another club ever, that would let a striker who scored 30 goals in a season, walk away to a team in the same league, with Toto following him. Magnay had already gone there saying he wanted to stay but we wouldn't give him any petrol money if I remember rightly.

Then Hurst was lured away by the mighty Shrewsbury. Slade was appointed and it's been downhill ever since.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
aldi_01
March 5, 2021, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m sure the fentyistas and the likes will jump to the defence or claim that regime can’t be the sole people to blame but in truth, everything Rich says is bang on the money.

From around April time the rhetoric from the club was a thinly veiled ‘lives are more important than football’ nonsense to present as if they cared when in truth it translated to ‘we’re not really interested in investing, we haven’t for a while so why would we now and we hope the season doesn’t start’ type claims.

Holloway has bemoaned the fixtures, fixtures that were the same for everyone else; although everyone prepared and worked on the season being a full season, we chose the opposite, not even arsing ourselves to play more than one pre season game. The same Holloway seemed to use Covid as a default excuse yet we find out that the club broke rules which resulted in a loss of valuable cash from a club so hell bent on penny pinching. Holloway, the same man so worried about Covid he was happy to drive to that there London to get himself on the tv and has done since.

We needn’t go on about the custodians of the club, in truth everyone is now aware that they were never probably in it for anyone but themselves. The same club even seemed to defend the actions of a convicted fraudster. The countless nonsense from Fenty over the years is a thread on its own somewhere.

We can argue about Hurst not picking up many points. We can even argue about Holloway’s side ‘being in a higher position’ but that’s futile, anyone with half an idea of football knew we were doomed from very early on, possibly before a ball was kicked and we banked on teams going bust or seasons not finishing.

Perhaps something has happened, perhaps those players enjoyed the approach under Holloway, may be, as we saw with Newell, they had ‘freedom’ and given they didn’t know if they’d play from one week to the next they felt part time...or May be that is the issue? Regardless of performance, perhaps Hurst, Doig, Davies etc have been drilling them and the culture has needed shifting and it’s taking as long to adapt it as it did for Holloway to screw it up.

We all have our own views and we’ve still got those that will claim they never likes Hurst, they didn’t want him back blah blah. There’s those of us who didn’t want Holloway in the first place and there’s those that don’t think things off of the pitch at BP were or are that bad. That’s football, but if anyone is surprised we’re staring non league in the face after all that has happened then I’d suggest they have a sit down and a long hard think...

Sadly, we’ll all still be there, the causes of it all will be gone, some with their egos still making their decisions and some with a pocket full of cash...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Why we are where we are

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.