Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where's the money Phil.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 201 Guests

Where's the money Phil.

This thread currently has 5,138 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
January 27, 2021, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
We were told that money would not be a problem in the transfer market and the covid clause would be removed. Their is now only a short time before the transfer window ends and our signings are 3, 2 on loan and a free one.

What has happen to the promised money to bolster the squad, or has penny pincher Fenty ( I'm off with my cash) refused to sign the cheque again. We do not know who is or was or in what order Hurst's list of transfer targets are or have been.  

Given our current position you can understand some of his targets not wanting relegation on their cv's, but money, or the right amount,  is always known to change a players mind. Also will Day/Fenty only agree to a short term deals. We don't know, so where the promised cash?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
January 27, 2021, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,942
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from DB
We were told that money would not be a problem in the transfer market and the covid clause would be removed. Their is now only a short time before the transfer window ends and our signings are 3, 2 on loan and a free one.

What has happen to the promised money to bolster the squad, or has penny pincher Fenty ( I'm off with my cash) refused to sign the cheque again. We do not know who is or was or in what order Hurst's list of transfer targets are or have been.  

Given our current position you can understand some of his targets not wanting relegation on their cv's, but money, or the right amount,  is always known to change a players mind. Also will Day/Fenty only agree to a short term deals. We don't know, so where the promised cash?

I'm no fan of the current board, but wouldn't there be some cost in wages as opposed to the other youngsters we had on loan?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
DB
January 27, 2021, 7:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm no fan of the current board, but wouldn't there be some cost in wages as opposed to the other youngsters we had on loan?

See where you are coming from arry. Phil did say it won't be a problem, so assuming he knows the figures he didn't say limited amount.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
LocalLadGTFC
January 27, 2021, 7:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,642
Gold Stars: 124
Do you just like creating threads for threads sake?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 36
Bristol Mariner
January 27, 2021, 7:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He must be a tailor

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
DB
January 27, 2021, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I think it's a fair question to ask. Phil Day promised money to strengthen the squad. I think 3 free signings is pathetic at this stage of the transfer window, wages have been saved on loan player sent so he has not splashed any cash.

2nd from bottom and the transfer window closing on Monday should warrant serious discussion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
Roast Em Bobby
January 27, 2021, 10:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
What he said was clearly open to interpretation. My assumption at the time was that we had money to pay semi decent wages for a few players, I think maybe you/others thought we were suddenly going to start offering clubs transfer fees for players.The latter never struck me as being a realistic scenario.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
The_Laughing_Mariner
January 27, 2021, 11:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I'm sure that the money is there for the right signing.  Its up to PH who the right signings are!

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
Kris2
January 28, 2021, 2:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
The money being available and freedom of choice are two different things. Just because we can offer a decent contract doesn't mean we are going to sign a 20 goal a season striker and a creative midfielder plus a top class goalkeeper on 4 year deals anytime soon.

Right now a relegation battle isn't a great prospect, nor is relegation in itself so it's likely we'll have to settle for short term deals until some job/wage security comes into the equation. This isn't even a question to be answered, nor a particularly well thought out one. This isn't like a manager game where if you have enough virtual coins to throw you can pretty much sign anybody and they instantly join the club. Actual negotiations involve agents, players the player's family and so on. Everything needs to be sorted out before anything is signed. Stuff can literally change the day they are supposed to sign as they are driving here and it falls through.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
January 28, 2021, 6:11am
Guest User
Quoted from DB

Yep, that's what we were told.

Only the highly gullible, or those completely unfamiliar with the Fenty regime, could possibly believe it. Money is always a problem (look at the world).
Day's statement joins a substantial list of utterances made by the club that are far too crass to be taken seriously. So I'd suggest you don't...
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where's the money Phil.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.